Favorite anime in AMVs?

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
CrackTheSky
has trust issues
Org Profile

Favorite anime in AMVs?

Post by CrackTheSky » Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:48 pm

I realize I'm probably going to get a lot of people who say that the anime shouldn't matter when it comes to whether or not you like an AMV, and I definitely agree. However, I find that a lot of my favorite videos use the same anime. I don't know if it's because of the anime they use, or just because the videos themselves are really good, but when I see a video made with a certain anime, I tend to get more excited about it than the music choice or even the editor who made it.

For example, recently I've been on an FLCL kick. I've found that pretty much every FLCL video I have I really, really like, and I've always been excited to see new FLCL vids.

Granted, FLCL is probably my favorite anime, but on the flipside, I also actually really enjoy seeing FFVII: Advent Children AMVs (and I hated Advent Children). I don't know, I think it's because with both of these animes, I've seen tons of innovation and I think there's still a lot more that can be done with both sources, and I'm eager to see what else people can come up with.

So when it comes to AMVs, are there certain animes you tend to enjoy more than others when you watch a video? And if so, why do you think that is?

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:57 pm

It only really ever makes a difference to me if there's an intense dramatic element to the video. In that case simply "a series i've had the pleasure of really getting into" would be the only real criteria. Aside from that, I simply like good videos - and a truly good video doesn't need to rely on the source used - it's all in the execution.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2020)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

GH
Org Profile

Post by GH » Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:15 pm

I unfortionally like AMV's with Naruto,when its used by more popular editors i always seem to download their AMV.I also always seem to download Fullmetal Alchemist AMV's also,by a popular editor or not.And some others of course.But overall,i enjoy to watch AMV's with Anime i have previously viewed,or viewed in general.

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:37 pm

Good Cardcaptor Sakura videos are hard to find imho, so when i find a good one to that series I get really excited. Same goes for Princess Tutu, and a few various other magical girl series...

though to me the song gets me more into an amv than the anime... now if its a song and anime i like thats really well done then I'll like it lots :3

of course though, the top vid in my list is to an anime I barely like... but the concept is just so cute and awesome, not to mention I like the song a lot... yea... I'm babbling now

Emong
A Damaged Lemon
Org Profile

Post by Emong » Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:06 pm

Yes. I think the source material, video and audio, has lots to do with whether I like the video or not. For me the source material has, let's say, 50% or most likely more to do with whether the video is good or not. However, it's not exactly always about whether it uses the anime I like, as long as the footage looks good (visually and in the means of capturing the song etc.) For example, I didn't really like The SoulTaker but the footage looks visually nice and very dramatic and works that way in videos so I tend to like The SoulTaker videos.

You could put it this way: If we consider AMVs art, then who actually is the artist? I've actually been thinking about this recently, especially when I come accross videos that hit me emotionally. Kisanzi's Condemned Memoir for example. I was watching it and thought about what should I write in my opinion for it (sooner or later..) Imo, what's very outstanding about the vid is the emotional levels and contrast in it, but who should I give credit for that? For example, the most emotional part in the video for me is the slowest part of it where young Lucy is beside the music box and the song gets all melancholic at that point. The editor didn't have much to do with that part. He just combined those two at the right time and made some visual improvements, which mostly just reduce back to the original source though.

Imo, mostly videos are like that; what the editor has to do is to make pieces fit, so to speak, so the song / footage combination would work as well as possible. He'd do this by sync, by effects, by using the clips and the song so they'd work as something emotional or intellectual (concept vids etc.) There are many ways to get there. But you should forget the importance of the source material. That's why I find it strange when the editor is given all the credit for a particular part of the video being emotional, for example. He didn't make the song, he didn't make the footage (mostly it is this way), he just combined those two properly on that part :wink: Afterall, in an AMV, if you take out the footage and the audio and only leave editing, it should tell you how much the editor has to do with it :wink:

Emong
A Damaged Lemon
Org Profile

Post by Emong » Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:09 pm

Emong wrote:But you shouldn't forget the importance of the source material.
Fix'd

Bauzi
Location: Austria (uhm the other country without kangaroos^^)
Org Profile

Post by Bauzi » Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:24 pm

Naruto!!!!!!11111111111111

No, I don´t think that I like amvs much more because of a particular anime. The music plays a much higher role on this.
New AMV: Don't Leave Me Alone
https://www.animemusicvideos.org/video/202928

PaperIsland
Org Profile

Post by PaperIsland » Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:48 pm

I'm very open-minded toward good AMVs to anime I know anything about (or even don't like). However, I find Eva and FLCL are the most represented among my top AMVs. I think visually they are both well-suited to AMVs -- diverse, interesting imagery which can easily be attached to meaning. They also might attract more experienced editors for a variety of possible reasons.

DayWalker B.
Org Profile

Post by DayWalker B. » Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:51 pm

Bauzi wrote: No, I don´t think that I like amvs much more because of a particular anime. The music plays a much higher role on this.
I sort of agree. I try not to bring in my personal preferences of anime into AMV judging, so I don't really have a favourite anime used in AMVs. Funnily enough, there might actually be some anime that I don't like to see, but in that case not only in AMVs but in general. :lol:

Scott Green
Greenwhore
Org Profile

Post by Scott Green » Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:02 pm

Well for me it makes a big diffrence if i have seen an anime used in an amv or not
I personally can enjoy the videos even more when im familiar with the scenes I see...

of course music plays also an important role in an amv, but if you use the wrong music for an Anime where it just doesn't fit....

In example: I'll take card captor sakura and combine it with arch enemy O:
Or let's use gungrave with bumblebee tuna (oh might fit O:)
Well those a poor examples but you know what im trying to tell?
You could do everything, but CCS with heavy metal...idk

Anyways to bring back what Emong said
I agree with that Soultaker stuff
About that Condemned memoir...if kisanzi wouldn't have combined it you would have never have that feeling =P
He didn't make the song, he didn't make the footage (mostly it is this way), he just combined those two properly on that part
And in the end that's what you gave the feeling O:
Afterall, in an AMV, if you take out the footage and the audio and only leave editing, it should tell you how much the editor has to do with it
That on the other hand is also true O:
ImageImage

Return to “General AMV”