A Thought About Windows Movie Maker....

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
lynit
Org Profile

Post by lynit » Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:21 am

Former WMM user speaking here;

If you want to go and try with WMM, by all means, that's all right. While it's limited when compared to editing software that some of us here use, it still edits :up:
And while at first glance you can't do this or that, there are lots of ways around to remove certain problematic aspects, or to add some stuff (Like flashes, overlays, the works)

But yeah, it's all right if you want to make a few AMVs here and there. Then afterwards, you can move up to Premiere or Vegas or any other editing software (Magix, for one lol). There's still a learning curve, but it's worth it :up:

Oh yeah. Avisynth and VirtualDubMod. Use it with WMM. A lot of people (myself included) never really took advantage of this, and now realizing this, it's really useful with WMM.

My $0.02
<Stirspeare> Otohiko: You guys sure love dongs.

XiaoMovieMaker
Org Profile

Post by XiaoMovieMaker » Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:38 am

Ah thanks to all for the input.
Remember, i'm not saying WMM is bad, but nor am i saying it's exceptional...
I just want to see some of it's capabilities...which i can actually say are somewhat good.

After learning some basic XML, there's many custom transitions and effects i was able to make, which can make my videos much more appealing...somewhat XD

And working on my 1st AMV is fun, even if my editing stinks :roll:
I love using cross-fade and translucency...a lot...maybe i should use a bit less to make my AMV better... :wink:

~Xiao

DriftRoot
Org Profile

Post by DriftRoot » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:31 am

JaddziaDax wrote:
WMM is good for learning the very basics ...its also good to find out if you WANT to be in this hobby or if its not for you
I would never have gotten as far as I have with this hobby if I attempted to pursue it with WMM. No way! Jump in whole hog with Premiere and if one survives the learning curve without coming to hate what one is doing (or gives up in despair), then I think it's safe to safe that the hobby fits. Oh yeah, and to start off, choose a good AMV idea that is acceptable for one's skill level. That helps big time. :roll:

Hrm...I'm notorious for getting in way over my head with things, though, fortunately I'm really stubborn, too, and tend to succeed if I want to badly enough. So on second thought, only jump in whole hog with Premiere if you have similarly overblown ideas about your own abilities. :P

Rapture**
Org Profile

Post by Rapture** » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:46 am

otbwavelength wrote:Then take into account that editing by the frame is impossible in WMM (which is why there are SO many WMM videos where a few frames from the next scene in a clip come through), which to me is a massive downfall; when i make my AMV's, i scroll along and line up audio within 1 frame of the sound occuring, something you can't do in WMM.
This is the only point I find a downfall of it myself. Other than this - WMM is like basics of editing. Using lossless source,you can save the quality,so there's no point in telling things like - WMM export is real shit quality. Wrong - not WMM export,but WMV codec!

So my point is - WMM isn't that bad at all,just that it's pretty hard to sync sometimes because of that 1 frame problem.
:D I like laughter ;DD
ImageImage

ZephyrStar
Master of Science
Org Profile

Post by ZephyrStar » Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:14 pm

Ileia wrote:I, for one, do it with the ladies. 8-)
allllll righhhhttt 8-)

/o\

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:38 pm

DriftRoot wrote:
JaddziaDax wrote:
WMM is good for learning the very basics ...its also good to find out if you WANT to be in this hobby or if its not for you
I would never have gotten as far as I have with this hobby if I attempted to pursue it with WMM. No way! Jump in whole hog with Premiere and if one survives the learning curve without coming to hate what one is doing (or gives up in despair), then I think it's safe to safe that the hobby fits. Oh yeah, and to start off, choose a good AMV idea that is acceptable for one's skill level. That helps big time. :roll:
I was talking about the people who don't know if they want to SPEND THE MONEY on a better program before knowing if they want to be in the hobby or not... granted there are ways around that as well, but they aren't endorsed on these forums...

some people can't handle simple constructive feedback, WMM is good for those people who find out that small crits ruin their self esteem or whatever, so they don't have to feel they wasted money on a hobby that they hate.

If you are serious about it from the get-go, enough to want to learn a better program right away (btw Vegas > Premiere :P) then you're not a person who is wondering if the hobby is for you or not... so you don't really fit into that catagory :/

XiaoMovieMaker
Org Profile

Post by XiaoMovieMaker » Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:39 pm

well anyway,
i made another BETA amv, just to test how well i can work with synching music to footage...

you can see it here:

http://www.megavideo.com/?v=1308I1UN

it's just a test i was working with, trying out some of WMM's features and some new XML scripts that i made....i kinda went overboard on transitions, but hey, i love em :roll:

Aimaime-san
Org Profile

Post by Aimaime-san » Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:41 pm

lmao! I guess some ppl just can't get enough of that song... lol.

I didn't really notice any sinc... but it had a good mood, as long as you kept the clips going, that rocket was a bit of a downer...

XiaoMovieMaker
Org Profile

Post by XiaoMovieMaker » Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:32 pm

ai yi yi...
all this school work is killing me...
starting to work with AMVs at the end of summer is not one of my better ideas... :?

Emong
A Damaged Lemon
Org Profile

Post by Emong » Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:35 pm

You got that right^

That video was slightly desynced by the video hoster site (MegaVideo) I assume? I think it needed more clips and cuts to hit all the necessary beats~

Return to “General AMV”