Split judging system for an amv contest?

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
genestarwind21122
Samurai Master
Org Profile

Post by genestarwind21122 » Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:26 am

I appreciate all the feedback here. I'm still not exactly sure on what to do. I mean is 12 awards for a contest too many. One for each of the five main categories choosen by the audience and then judges choice for each category as well. Then Best of Show by Audience and Coordinator's Choice.

So that way the audience gets their pick and the judges who have either made videos or seen alot of videos get their pick.

godix
a disturbed member
Org Profile

Post by godix » Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:04 am

genestarwind21122 wrote:I appreciate all the feedback here. I'm still not exactly sure on what to do. I mean is 12 awards for a contest too many. One for each of the five main categories choosen by the audience and then judges choice for each category as well. Then Best of Show by Audience and Coordinator's Choice.
So why duplicate? Let the audience choose the five categories and the judges choose best of show, or vice versa. That'd give 6 awards.

Niotex
The Phantom Canine
Org Profile

Post by Niotex » Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:20 am

There was a 50 50 setup at Acon (06) here. Where the editors last min got to hear they had to judge and then there was an equal number of people selected from the crowd. It worked out really strange... All editors kinda pity'd 1 video so didn't give it a 1 (a 2 instead) and all the people in the crowd gave it a 5 out of 5. It beat F.E.A.R., Phoenix Rising, Princess Bride and Paradoxical sleep...

This video won :roll:
In other words I'm not a big fan of crowd voting...

ZephyrStar
Master of Science
Org Profile

Post by ZephyrStar » Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:23 am

Something I've run into when judging (judged a digital/traditional art show for the university I went to a couple of years) is that as godix said, integrity is something you can't count on. A couple of times we had judges that judged artwork not based on it's artistic merits, but what program or method was used to create it, which has very little to do with the artistic merit of the final piece. That's what we got for using judges that were part of the "scene" at the time.

Also, we started bringing in judges who were not of the digital art discipline, but fine artists. Their view on the work was a bit different and a lot less biased. Maybe you could try that by getting someone who knows video editing, but is not into the AMV community? That might eliminate some of the bias produced by having creators judge. Hopefully they'd give you good technical scoring.

At the same time I think it's a good idea to have the audience interact, because as stated before, people like what they like and you can't change that. Who cares if someone enters an avant garde vid that's way ahead of it's time artistically etc., if the audience doesn't like it, it kinda doesn't matter even if it is a great vid. If you do both methods, I think you'll be able to get better resluts.

Also, people LOVE recognition. I'd suggest doing some major awards for the categories, best in show, best in genre, etc., but definately do something for your runners up or vids that people responded to. For our art show, I spent about 8 hours in photoshop making a really neat certificate type thing, which didn't really even say "runner up" but was more of a "thanks for participating, your stuff was pretty good, here's a cool thing" and printed out about 40 of these in addition to my category awards (16) and best in show (1st, 2nd, 3rd). That way, the people who were the clear winners got their stuff, but the people who actually had good stuff and were close ties also walked away with something.

One of the reasons for so many awards at our show too btw is that we had so many types of work (3d digital still, 2d digital still, 2d traditional, 3d traditional, 3d character, 2d character, storyboard, video, motion graphics, 3d animation) and some of those had some sub categories.

Hope this helps, good luck. :)

godix
a disturbed member
Org Profile

Post by godix » Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:25 am

Niotex wrote:There was a 50 50 setup at Acon (06) here. Where the editors last min got to hear they had to judge and then there was an equal number of people selected from the crowd. It worked out really strange... All editors kinda pity'd 1 video so didn't give it a 1 (a 2 instead) and all the people in the crowd gave it a 5 out of 5. It beat F.E.A.R., Phoenix Rising, Princess Bride and Paradoxical sleep...

And now we know why Acon isn't usually listed in those 'what con is great for AMVs' threads.

JudgeHolden
Org Profile

Post by JudgeHolden » Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:52 am

Niotex wrote:There was a 50 50 setup at Acon (06) here. Where the editors last min got to hear they had to judge and then there was an equal number of people selected from the crowd. It worked out really strange... All editors kinda pity'd 1 video so didn't give it a 1 (a 2 instead) and all the people in the crowd gave it a 5 out of 5. It beat F.E.A.R., Phoenix Rising, Princess Bride and Paradoxical sleep...

That's what ya get for having pity ..... :wink: If y'all gave it 1s maybe FEAR would have won ... Eh? Maybe? :D

Kitsuner
Maximum Hotness
Org Profile

Post by Kitsuner » Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:10 pm

Niotex wrote:This video won :roll:
I can dig it.
OtakuGray wrote:Sometimes anime can branch out to a younger audience and this is one of those times where you wish children would just go die.
Stirspeare wrote:<Stirspeare> Lopez: Vanquish my virginity and flood me with kit. ["Ladies..."]

Niotex
The Phantom Canine
Org Profile

Post by Niotex » Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:16 pm

lol I actually gave this example as an argument to the topic. And not my personal feelings regarding this video. =|

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:54 pm

Small cons also have an interesting dynamic of audience vote rigging that you have to get around. If there's 200 or so ballots cast at a con that brings in over 9000 people (Anime Boston last year), imagine how much easier it would be to influence a vote at a con 1/10 that size. Assuming a scale that's even slightly more favorable to voting than that trend, Having half a dozen friends there that will vote for your video no matter what combined with enough attention starved people (at *gasp* an anime con) that want to be part of a crowd, you can suitably rig any small contest.

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:35 pm

at aKon they have judged awards and "audience favorite" award...

Return to “General AMV”