We need a leader

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
Shinodude
emodude
Org Profile

Post by Shinodude » Mon May 15, 2006 10:37 am

JaddziaDax wrote:
shinodude wrote:I agree with you beo we do need more original ideas and less of all the cheap same over used effects
THEN GET ON IT SHINODUDE!! START WORKING!

I WANNA SEE YOUR NEW VIDEO ASAP!

O.O

CAPSLOCK IS THE BEST O.O
im working on a video lol it has some effects lol XD im such a hypocrit

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Mon May 15, 2006 10:43 am

@Shinodude: XD

Shinodude
emodude
Org Profile

Post by Shinodude » Mon May 15, 2006 10:45 am

JaddziaDax wrote:@Shinodude: XD
well effects are sometimes fun to use :)

Isenfolme
Org Profile

Post by Isenfolme » Mon May 15, 2006 12:46 pm

The form of an amv depends on what the creator wants to get out of it. By extension, the shape of the amv "community" in general will depend on the attitudes and expectations of its members.

Why do we create amvs? Perhaps seeing it as an artform is the most useful. If amvs are art, we have to remember that there are many many kinds of art. On the one hand we might consider representational art - trying to draw/paint/sculpt something that is as close to the reality as possible. On the other we might think of consciously postmodern art, with artists trying to push the boundaries of perception to create something truly original. Both are valid forms of artistic expression. However, it is a simpe fact about the majority of people that they will appreciate and accept something straightforward far more easily than they will try to grasp something outside of their immediate experience. That's where all the interminable "that's not art, it's just a bunch of paint splashed onto a canvas" comments come from.

I would suggest that the same can be said of amvs, and the general amv audience. The reason the top 10% is so full of the same stuff is because that's what people like - it's the lowest common denominator of things people enjoy. Anime that people know and like. Music that people know and like. If it's edited together in a pleasing and enjoyable way, then people will like it. It's not a tough equation. When the vast majority of people set out to make their first amv, chances are they will be trying to do the same: to use materials they enjoy and put them together in a way plesaing to eye and ear. Perhaps this is the amv equivalent of representational art. You can do it very very well, and you can do it very very badly, but it's it's own genre, and stands as a valid form of the amv art.

The urge to push the boundaries, to find something new, to challenge perception is something that I suggest is much rarer among amv creators and watchers alike. Plus, in being new and thus harder to grasp, they won't be as immediately popular as some of us might hope they would be. Plus, in a community this size, with this many active creators, and the technical skills required to create a basic amv getting less and less, the truly groundbreaking "postmodern" amvs are more than likely to get lost in the crush.

My point? I think the groundbreaking stuff is out there. I think there are "postmodern" creators out there trying to be genuinely original, trying to play with the limits and expectations of the accepted amv form. They are simply hard to find, and they will only get harder to find, as the size of the community grows. Still, I don't think that fact is something we need to bewail that much. I don't like something just because it is new. I like it because it pleases me in some way, whether that be through tight editing, great music, sophisticated storytelling or just plain shininess. There is real quality out there, that is quality even if it isn't the next great step. To go back to the analogy - representational art is still valid. You want to tell me Constable wasn't a great artists because he just painted landscapes, and any fool can do that? I sincerely hope not.

Heero_Yuy84
Org Profile

Post by Heero_Yuy84 » Mon May 15, 2006 1:12 pm

OK...looking over a lot of the back and forth from some of the people in this thread, I feel the need to ask

Is there anyone else on this site still doing AMVs because...you know...they just like doing them...and, to that end, isn't terribly concerned with making the next big hit?
If people like it, OK, good for them...
If they don't...why should you care? Theoretically so long as you're still satisfied with it, that should count for something.

...then again, from the looks of some of these posts, that seems to be an outdated perspective.
*Resident shameless Gundam fanboy*

Orwell
godx, Son of godix
Org Profile

Post by Orwell » Mon May 15, 2006 1:33 pm

Paul Kievits wrote:Communist lies and propoganda

CHAMELEON_D_H wrote:I'll go oil the arsenal :D
Got that ready yet? :D :D

And to be on-topic
InGoW wrote:Beo makes a thread as a provocation for people to get their asses up on something new and gets 3 pages of arguments about why they won't.

I don't get anymore why he keeps trying.
Because if somebody doesn't cry Wolfowitz then who will?
Latest
[Kristyrat]: Vote for Orwell
[Kristyrat]: because train conducters are dicks.
Otohiko: whereas Germans are like "god we are all so horrible, we're going to die a pointless death now."

Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Post by Castor Troy » Mon May 15, 2006 1:43 pm

We need more good creators making DBZ videos.
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

Brad
Org Profile

Post by Brad » Mon May 15, 2006 1:51 pm

Castor Troy wrote:We need more good creators.
*fixed
Ask Brad an After Effects Question! - Forum - Site

JudgeHolden
Org Profile

Post by JudgeHolden » Mon May 15, 2006 2:23 pm

badmartialarts wrote:Innovation is possible but is usually recieved badly. People fear change. They accept evolution of ideas but not total paradigm shifts. In other words, expect more kooptangles before the end times. :O

Meanwhile I will continue to make videos to please myself. And if they don't please me, they will get deletified.
Hear! Hear! Innovating (and by this I don't mean effects) can kill a video as much as save it, it all depends on whether people are in the mood for change.

JH

aesling
Mad Scientist
Org Profile

Post by aesling » Mon May 15, 2006 5:16 pm

Heero_Yuy84 wrote:OK...looking over a lot of the back and forth from some of the people in this thread, I feel the need to ask

Is there anyone else on this site still doing AMVs because...you know...they just like doing them...and, to that end, isn't terribly concerned with making the next big hit?
If people like it, OK, good for them...
If they don't...why should you care? Theoretically so long as you're still satisfied with it, that should count for something.

...then again, from the looks of some of these posts, that seems to be an outdated perspective.
I think that there are still plenty of editers out there who do it for there own personal enjoyment. I know I'm one of them, and I've heard various other people express the same opinion.

I would also like to point out that people have entirely different goals and expectations when creating/watching AMV's. Like the people who see it as an art form that needs to push the limits, and those who view it as a seperate hobby. Finding a leader of some kind would really be difficult because not only is quality something difficult to be agreed upon, what is a perfectly acceptable to one person may just not be enough for another person. And it seems like there are some people in the art world who will never be satisfied with anything.

I think that creativity and new ideas are wonderful, and I'm all for people creating AMV's that contain both. However, I think innovation isn't something that can really be forced. Just because an idea is new, doesn't make it great. Not that we shouldn't try to make things new, but a great video with a breakout concept doesn't come along every day. If they did, it would hardly stand out from the pack, would it? Part of art is development, and sometimes something will unexpectedly turn out to be totally awesome beyond all belief and everyone else will think so too. So I think an AMV creator needs to just do what feels right to them, without copying someone elses work, but also without worrying about creating the next Mona Lisa. Who knows, maybe they will, or maybe if it isn't, maybe it'll be a vid that people will still really enjoy.
:ying:

Return to “General AMV”