We need a leader

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
TaranT
Org Profile

Post by TaranT » Thu May 18, 2006 2:42 am

RichLather wrote:We don't need a "leader" but I do think there is considerable need for guidance counselors and head-shrinkers
What this forum needs is a den mother (nominating JaddziaDax).

Although the essence of this topic has nothing to do with leaders as such.
Lyrs wrote:god damn, that's a long opinion.
Actually, that's kind of short for an MCWagner composition. :)
MCWagner wrote:...
Is it really as simple as finding the right match of music to video? You seem to also argue that presentation (tech) is as important. And if it all boils down to "whatever excites a sense of awe"...then it seems like we're just back to the very first post in this thread, wondering where it all went and how to get from here to there.

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Thu May 18, 2006 2:55 am

TaranT wrote:What this forum needs is a den mother (nominating JaddziaDax).
wha????? O.o

><

you make me feel old :(

I'm not THAT old O.o

bloodyhell
Org Profile

turning amv's up a notch

Post by bloodyhell » Thu May 18, 2006 3:48 am

i no what your alll saying but fact is having an attitude saying that theres nothing to achieve leads to nothing being achieved, if everybody has their own style of developing amvs, then mayb the only way to better our amv standards is to do group projects, or to actually change the way the footage is presented, like in the "whisper of the beast video" sakura has been removed and replaced with haku, and that was freakin awsome cause it looked like it was originally like that. there arent alot of videos that change the way the anime is perceived and get away with it.
i think the best way is to start making videos in genres we normally never think about, use songs that strike up emotions and that relate to the message the creator is trying to get across not neccesarily basing the whole video in a single character or fight coz fact is naruto vs sasuke and goku vs majin vegeta is really common footage, if we wanna make better videos we should use different animes, like wolfs rain or hajime no ippo for example and songs that relate to the story of the video not the story of the character.

amv artists have the ability to shape how people percieve the anime in their videos, if the way we view the video makes us think about different and new ideas, then they will be the videos we remember.

jubjub2
Org Profile

Post by jubjub2 » Thu May 18, 2006 7:11 am

JaddziaDax wrote:
wha????? O.o

><

I'm not THAT old O.o
You don't know what 'old' is, Jadd.....

XD

It's interesting to watch this topic and the discussions about this topic just to see that there is still a little bit of High School in all of us (with many still in said High School).

Some want (or feel the need) to have the popular leader, some wish to be that popular leader, some could be the leader of the punks, one the leader of the geeks... I sense a Breakfast Club moment coming here.

Be your own leader. Make what you like, improve by watching other's creations and asking advice, and experiment. Innovation can come when you least expect it, and it can come from the unlikeliest of places (or people).

</soapbox><p>
<lurk>

amvwizard
Org Profile

Post by amvwizard » Thu May 18, 2006 8:47 am

Drama @ animemusicvideos.org :(

JudgeHolden
Org Profile

Post by JudgeHolden » Thu May 18, 2006 9:10 am

amvwizard wrote:Drama @ animemusicvideos.org :(
No..... Mellodrama@animemusicvideos.org ... :roll:

amvwizard
Org Profile

Post by amvwizard » Thu May 18, 2006 9:29 am

JudgeHolden wrote:
amvwizard wrote:Drama @ animemusicvideos.org :(
No..... Mellodrama@animemusicvideos.org ... :roll:

mhhhmmm i c...:/

TaranT
Org Profile

Post by TaranT » Thu May 18, 2006 10:48 am

JaddziaDax wrote:
wha????? O.o

><

I'm not THAT old O.o
You don't have to be old for this crew. Maturity is more important.
(And cookies every week wouldn't hurt. :) )

MCWagner
Org Profile

Post by MCWagner » Thu May 18, 2006 11:17 am

TaranT wrote:
Lyrs wrote:god damn, that's a long opinion.
Actually, that's kind of short for an MCWagner composition. :)
I just finished my thesis. I'm off my game. :)
TaranT wrote:Is it really as simple as finding the right match of music to video?
Of course that's not all there is to it, but with a lot of stuff, it's what strikes me as missing. The match becomes an excuse to play with the newest tech toy instead of the other way around. I think the sense of awe comes from the video's presence as a complete, coherent whole, bigger than its parts, & that grows from the initial match. Some videos I honestly feel result from a creator forgetting to really "own" their idea, and are instead just creating videos that are hyper-fast or uber-tech or using the latest toy/trend, similar music/anime because they figure that's what's expected of "a good video" nowdays, and the "not having fun anymore" starts showing through in lackluster efforts. I'd hate it even more if this discussion ended up forcing people into a long string of halfhearted "art" videos because they thought that was what was expected of them now.

It's entirely possible that I'm reading too much into this. I don't generally like commenting on "state of the industry" crap & 'cause I have a weird perspective & my rig is busted. But I don't think there's any harm discussing new ideas, wondering at the lack of recent innovation, and this might shake some AMVers out of the self-imposed complacent boredom they've gotten into from seeing so many similar videos. It just seems that milling around in the same old music & the same old matches is boring the creators as much as the audience.
Als Gregor Samsa eines Morgens aus unruhigen Träumen erwachte, fand er sich in seinem Bett zu einem ungeheueren Ungeziefer verwandelt.

dokidoki
c0d3 m0nk3y
Org Profile

Post by dokidoki » Thu May 18, 2006 11:29 am

jubjub2 wrote:Some want (or feel the need) to have the popular leader, some wish to be that popular leader, some could be the leader of the punks, one the leader of the geeks... I sense a Breakfast Club moment coming here.
<shakes dandruff onto video>
Image Image Image
"Comedy is a dying breed." -- kisanzi // "Comedy. Serious business." -- dokidoki

Return to “General AMV”