The recent Evanescence/Wind-Up fiasco -- With permission?

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
himemiya
Org Profile

The recent Evanescence/Wind-Up fiasco -- With permission?

Post by himemiya » Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:46 am

Well obviously I am rather miffed about that. However -- what if you *do* have permission and approval from the band itself in the creation of the video?

I do. :/ The band members of Evanescence gave me approval for my previous two videos and I have open contact with one member to ask permission for future rights.

Is it within reason to put a link in the AMV profile to your own site where visitors may download it, then?

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:52 am

it wasnt the band's decision, it was the RECORD LABEL'S decision to contact the site

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:57 am

While I find it hard to believe Evanescence gave you permission, I honestly can't say something sarcastic. Why? Because I've made such a claim myself. Bowling For Soup gave me permission for my Macross vid. Dunno if their label knows, dunno if they care. But I guess if it can happen to me, it can happen to others as well.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

himemiya
Org Profile

Post by himemiya » Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:02 am

Kionon wrote:While I find it hard to believe Evanescence gave you permission, I honestly can't say something sarcastic. Why? Because I've made such a claim myself. Bowling For Soup gave me permission for my Macross vid. Dunno if their label knows, dunno if they care. But I guess if it can happen to me, it can happen to others as well.
While I can understand your skepticism, one of their band members is a client of mine for my art prints and consults me from time to time via E-mail for creative criticism in his musical writing.

himemiya
Org Profile

Post by himemiya » Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:04 am

JaddziaDax wrote:it wasnt the band's decision, it was the RECORD LABEL'S decision to contact the site
Yes, but in the follow-up post, it was stated in the follow-up thread here:

http://www.animemusicvideos.org/phpBB/v ... p?p=781965

"One issue (of many) is that the contract with the band requires the band to approve every use of their songs by third parties. This usually has to deal with movie sound tracks, commercials, and things like that. But in order for our site to receive a license, each and every video would have to be approved by the band themselves."

And as I have stated, I do retain approval and have the means to obtain further approval.

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:11 am

well phade in order to keep the site clear decided to block all evenescence/seether/creed videos... and aproval or no its much easier to do a blanket block than it is to individualize each and every entry... you should be posing this question to the admins, and not the general AMV if you feel that strongly..

himemiya
Org Profile

Post by himemiya » Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:15 am

JaddziaDax wrote:well phade in order to keep the site clear decided to block all evenescence/seether/creed videos... and aproval or no its much easier to do a blanket block than it is to individualize each and every entry... you should be posing this question to the admins, and not the general AMV if you feel that strongly..
Thank you for the suggestion -- Would I just ask in the Moderator's Drop Box, then?

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:17 am

either that or by emailing them admin@animemusicvideos.org

Prodigi
is the conductor.
Org Profile

Post by Prodigi » Sun Jan 08, 2006 4:27 am

You'd also (obviously) have to supply the admins with some kind of hard evidence that you do have permission, because it's a big leap your asking them for.

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Sun Jan 08, 2006 4:48 am

himemiya wrote:
Kionon wrote:While I find it hard to believe Evanescence gave you permission, I honestly can't say something sarcastic. Why? Because I've made such a claim myself. Bowling For Soup gave me permission for my Macross vid. Dunno if their label knows, dunno if they care. But I guess if it can happen to me, it can happen to others as well.
While I can understand your skepticism, one of their band members is a client of mine for my art prints and consults me from time to time via E-mail for creative criticism in his musical writing.
You'll notice I have a design firm of my own (that would be the Kick Magnet link), and we have had musician clients, in fact we currently have one, Autumn. So I can believe that completely. I mean, even famous people have to get what they want from someone else, right?
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

Return to “General AMV”