MPAA strikes again - No more DVD Decryptor

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
User avatar
AbsoluteDestiny
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2001 1:56 pm
Location: Oxford, UK
Contact:
Org Profile

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:21 am

Talk about old news...

I thought I'd add that any claimed newer versions are fakes and are not to be trusted (as some fake money making sites have appeared).

User avatar
x_rex30
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2001 4:30 pm
Org Profile

Post by x_rex30 » Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:44 am

Fuck them. No matter what, people will rip and trade and I don't think this will slow that down. What the fuck is there problem? If it wasn't for DVD ripper, I wouldn't have been so tempted to BUY some DVDS for my hobby of EDITING witch these mother fuckers seem to DESPISE for whatever reason. Fine... if they somehow find a magical way to stop people from ripping dvds, I'll stop having such a thirst for getting DVDs, and that means less money coming out of my pocket, so I guess it's a win win. They wont have to deal with me copying there precious DVDs, and I wont have to be spending money on there products. :)


[MOD22: Fixed pasting mistake that got thread OT.]

User avatar
rubyeye
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2001 1:45 pm
Contact:
Org Profile

Post by rubyeye » Mon Jun 20, 2005 4:01 pm

AbsoluteDestiny wrote:Talk about old news...

I thought I'd add that any claimed newer versions are fakes and are not to be trusted (as some fake money making sites have appeared).
This is the first time I'm hearing about this! Anyway, I checked free-codecs.com, where I download all my free programs, and they still have the latest version available - v.3.5.4.0 I'd advise getting it anyway since v.3.5.2.0 is the version installed in the current AMVapp.

User avatar
Bakadeshi
Abuses Spellcheck
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2003 9:49 am
Location: Atlanta, GA
Contact:
Org Profile

Post by Bakadeshi » Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:07 pm

rubyeye wrote:
AbsoluteDestiny wrote:Talk about old news...

I thought I'd add that any claimed newer versions are fakes and are not to be trusted (as some fake money making sites have appeared).
This is the first time I'm hearing about this! Anyway, I checked free-codecs.com, where I download all my free programs, and they still have the latest version available - v.3.5.4.0 I'd advise getting it anyway since v.3.5.2.0 is the version installed in the current AMVapp.
I realize the news was a little old, but I just found out about it, and so figured others may not know about it yet either. So I thought I'd spread the word to everyone here, since oddly it appeared no one had mentioned it yet.

User avatar
FurryCurry
Joined: Sun Jul 14, 2002 8:41 pm
Org Profile

Post by FurryCurry » Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:15 pm

It was mentioned a couple weeks ago, but more people will probably see it in this forum than Video Software.

http://www.animemusicvideos.org/phpBB/v ... hp?t=52219

It will probably be a while before a new protection scheme it can't handle comes out, and/or new burners that it doesn't support. I figure once those sort of things do show up, someone out there will step up and produce something to handle those situations.

Until then, the last version of DVDdecrypter will do nicely.
My Eyes Are The Victim's Eyes.
My Hands Are The Assailant's Hands.

User avatar
jade_eyed_angel
Mad Scientist
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2003 2:10 pm
Location: New York
Org Profile

Post by jade_eyed_angel » Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:38 pm

oh wow.. didn't know that. that's mesed up though... aren't you technically allowed to like make one personal copy of your dvd.. for yourself or something.. well with cds i know, you can... i think...? well then i have a feeling if someone doesnt make some new program when the dvds have new protection crap a lot of people here will either stop making vids or switch to fansubs....that's sad.
Image

narcted
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 4:41 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA.
Org Profile

Post by narcted » Tue Jun 21, 2005 12:34 am

There's something that's always confused me. I can read the Digital Millenium Copyright Act and clearly find where it prohibits the circumvention of copyright protection technology, but on the other side of the issue, where is this so called Constitutional Right to make one single copy for yourself? Yes, I can read the 6 exceptions outlined in section 1202 but they don't in anyway seem related to John Q Public having a DVD to watch at home.

User avatar
madbunny
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2003 3:12 pm
Contact:
Org Profile

Post by madbunny » Tue Jun 21, 2005 12:50 am

narcted wrote:There's something that's always confused me. I can read the Digital Millenium Copyright Act and clearly find where it prohibits the circumvention of copyright protection technology, but on the other side of the issue, where is this so called Constitutional Right to make one single copy for yourself? Yes, I can read the 6 exceptions outlined in section 1202 but they don't in anyway seem related to John Q Public having a DVD to watch at home.
That's because you missed that part in the Constitution where it mentions multi-billion dollar companies that lobby for more power under the law to make yet more money.

the DMC is a direct result of that, and while it has some valid points, I'm thinking that it will always be circumvented in one way or another untill the mega corporations find a way to make originals more appealing. Ultimately, this is why people copy; because it's equivalent in some way to the original. Just like going and seeing a concert live is almost a more memorable experience than buying a CD at tower records, Buying a CD, or DVD needs to have more too it than just burning a copy. The problem isn't the protections, which will always be beaten as long as we have smart, bored, college students.

So, yeah, it's a shame that a well made program like this is gone, but I'm cool with it for now. It's the most well integrated into the AMVapp of anything that I've seen yet. I'm sure that eventually something else will come along that not only rips, but also indexes and creates an .avs file too. (I could be dreaming on that part though..... )
Build a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night. Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

User avatar
yuppa
Joined: Fri May 02, 2003 8:31 pm
Status: Single again
Location: behind MY own AT field
Contact:
Org Profile

Post by yuppa » Tue Jun 21, 2005 4:10 pm

wel another bad thing to happen soon. THE PROCESSORS themselves with ANTI piracy stuff in the chipe. The first set of these to come out will ne for the MAC and pentium systems.
END OF LINE
Once king of noobs...now king nothing!!

User avatar
x_rex30
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2001 4:30 pm
Org Profile

Post by x_rex30 » Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:56 pm

yuppa wrote:wel another bad thing to happen soon. THE PROCESSORS themselves with ANTI piracy stuff in the chipe. The first set of these to come out will ne for the MAC and pentium systems.
Could you list some resources.

I feel like becoming an anarchist. If there going to make things so you can not copy them then I don't want them. Hell I'm an editor and that's the reason I buy a lot of my source footage since it's copyable and it's higher quality and also I try and support companies. What are they trying to do, take away any and all types of fair use? :?

User avatar
bum
17747114553
Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2003 9:56 pm
Contact:
Org Profile

Post by bum » Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:10 pm

http://www.againsttcpa.com

Have a read through the site. It's possibly one of the biggest threats to our freedom.

User avatar
FurryCurry
Joined: Sun Jul 14, 2002 8:41 pm
Org Profile

Post by FurryCurry » Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:15 pm

x_rex30 wrote: What are they trying to do, take away any and all types of fair use? :?
In a word, yes.
My Eyes Are The Victim's Eyes.
My Hands Are The Assailant's Hands.

User avatar
Maverick-Rubik
The Eye of a Lynx
Joined: Mon May 12, 2003 8:49 pm
Org Profile

Post by Maverick-Rubik » Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:49 pm

It all comes down to the age-old philosophy of freedom versus security.

Eliminating the ability to make dvds for oneself also eliminates the ability for many to copy the material and use it for unwanted reasons (unauthorized selling). And quite frankly, it wouldn't hurt the companies for people to make copies for themself, so they'd rather get rid of the freedom altogether. But really, they entirely have the right to do it. It's their material, if they don't want it reproduced without their permission they can do it, it's their stuff.

User avatar
bum
17747114553
Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2003 9:56 pm
Contact:
Org Profile

Post by bum » Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:57 pm

So what do you do if you dvd gets scrached and is no longer viewable? When you buy something like a music cd, dvd movie or game you dont actualy buy the product. What you buy is a licence to use it. When you backup a dvd you bought your protecting a license you own.

Oh and the TCPA thing is much more than an anti-piracy measure.

User avatar
x_rex30
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2001 4:30 pm
Org Profile

Post by x_rex30 » Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:20 am

Maverick-Rubik wrote:But really, they entirely have the right to do it. It's their material, if they don't want it reproduced without their permission they can do it, it's their stuff.
I didn't know they had complete permission to put copyright protection on it, I mean it makes total sense since it IS there's. Man that concept didn't even strike me. I was sure it was illegal.

Locked

Return to “General AMV”