Do you pirate your amv programs, or buy them?

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
Burtoc14
Org Profile

Do you pirate your amv programs, or buy them?

Post by Burtoc14 » Sun Mar 06, 2005 10:03 am

Personally, I downloaded Adobe Premier 6 and it is great, and a rather small file size. I bought Pinnacle and after effects though just so I wouldn't feel guilty about stealing them. But the ultimate download was Maya 6 unlimited retailed at a whopping $7000 us. Most difficult and confusing 3d editing program ever created, but fun.
The word of the day: Aquinininity. Use it correctly and get a cookie.

Tono_Fyr
Org Profile

Post by Tono_Fyr » Sun Mar 06, 2005 10:09 am

Downloading of anything (Footage, programs, etc) is heavily looked down upon here. I'm not going to scold anyone for it, but someone else will.

If they really wanted actual PEOPLE rather than corperations to buy their programs, they'd put them at a reasonable price.

Farlo
expectations of deliberate annihilation
Org Profile

Post by Farlo » Sun Mar 06, 2005 10:21 am

save then buy

most companies offer full trials(30 day is the usual) so you dont end up buying a program you dont like.

[Mike of the Desert]
Location: Earth -> Europe -> Italy -> Rome -> Cerveteri -> Sasso -> Home -> Mike's Room
Org Profile

Post by [Mike of the Desert] » Sun Mar 06, 2005 11:00 am

I first download them from Cds (trials), try, and finally I buy them if I liked them (or I do everything for get them as gift of Christmas or Birthdays ;P), I'm quite a collectionist :P
ImageImage

Osakaness
Org Profile

Post by Osakaness » Sun Mar 06, 2005 11:40 am

Academic Pricing :roll:

devilmaykickass
Org Profile

Post by devilmaykickass » Sun Mar 06, 2005 11:47 am

I thought this wasn't allowed, eh...

I think the majority of people here download their editing software, but I'm not positive. I believe it's stealing and it's wrong personally, and don't give me the "but omfg it's too expensive!" because you don't NEED it. Unless some sort of job/school project depended on it, and it was a last minute thing, I guess, but usually people who need it for money making reasons are the ones who buy it (and that's better than having faulty cracks anyway).

But eh, I really don't care if people use pirated software. It's pirated footage that bothers me because it looks so bad.

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Sun Mar 06, 2005 11:55 am

If there's one good thing about my father's interest in my hobby, it's that he didn't mind getting the new Adobe Video Collection (Premiere Pro, Encore DVD, After Effects 6.0, Audition) when they had it on sale shortly after it first came out.

I started on Premiere 5.1, which he'd bought years ago for his own little projects, and I still work with Adobe Photoshop 5.5, which we got as an upgrade from 5.0, which we got as an upgrade from 4.something, years ago.
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

GloryQuestor
Moderation Hero
Org Profile

Post by GloryQuestor » Sun Mar 06, 2005 12:08 pm

Actually, you really don't need to pirate a video editor any more, since both Microsoft and Apple give you video editing software free: Windows Movie Maker 2 and Apple iMovie.

Plus, if you want to try out some shareware video editors, you can get trial versions easily and the price for them is much cheaper than the commercial Adobe and Ulead's software.

In summary: ditch the pirated software and search for a good low-cost video editor.

Just get on a search engine (I prefer Webcrawler) or a shareware / freeware file repository (like FilePlanet and Simtel) and check out the lower cost options out there. :)
Website Administrator, AnimeMusicVideos.Org
Samurai Warriors Productions
Pittsburgh Japanese Culture Society Events - AMV Department Head
Middle Tennessee Anime Convention - Main Events Operations Manager
Anime Weekend Atlanta - Senior Manager of Programming - Video Art Track

Arigatomina
Org Profile

Post by Arigatomina » Sun Mar 06, 2005 12:37 pm

This is like asking for a show of hands on how many gay people are in the army. Maybe people won't get booted from the site if they admit to having gotten Premiere at a...discount...but they'll get negative attention. Most will lie outright and some (amazingly enough) will play snooty at those newbs dumb enought to admit what they do - false righteousness.

Me, I spend a good fortune on anime. I wouldn't be able to pay my rent if I spent hundreds of dollars on a 'pro' program that I probably won't use anyway. I bought my XP with hard earned cash, and I have two programs that came with it, wmm and Showbiz, along with the rather nice PhotoImpression in the package. I haven't spent a penny on editing software and don't expect to. The day 'editing' costs money, I drop the hobby. That's a way of saying - I'd download a program if I had to, if my computer died and suddenly the programs I bought no longer worked. But the only reason I edit videos is because the programs came with my new computer. I wouldn't have gone out of my way to pirate a program. I'm not that invested in this hobby. Either it's given to me, or I use what I have.

Watching anime and writing are my real hobbies - I'll spend fortunes on them. Editing is a fun bonus made possible by a new computer. Maybe my priorities are skewed, but that's how it is.

downwithpants
BIG PICTURE person
Org Profile

Post by downwithpants » Sun Mar 06, 2005 12:44 pm

i pirated windows movie maker. :twisted: :?
maskandlayer()|My Guide to WMM 2.x
a-m-v.org Last.fm|<a href="http://www.frappr.com/animemusicvideosdotorg">Animemusicvideos.org Frappr</a>|<a href="http://tinyurl.com/2lryta"> Editors and fans against the misattribution of AMVs</a>

Return to “General AMV”