Memories of making your first AMV

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
DuoEnigma
Org Profile

Memories of making your first AMV

Post by DuoEnigma » Sun Mar 06, 2005 8:31 am

I don't know why, but I like hearing about creators making their first amvs, and than comparing your new stuff to the old days. I correctly only have "1" AMV, and I rarely experiment with dvd footage and avs. First time Riping and messing with the avs...Ahhh so confusing. But I learned to get a handle of it (still learning considering I am in the process of my second amv )

but for my first amv or my only amv. I look back at it, and notice so many things I could have fixed. Such as quality, timing, and resolution but overall I was very proud of my first AMV. Now that I look at my new work (2nd amv coming soon to the org) I feel I have come a long way. What about you guys/gals do you still watch your first amvs? and compare your current work with what you have done in the past?
"No one ever achieved victory by sitting back and waiting for it to come to them"

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Re: Memories of making your first AMV

Post by Scintilla » Sun Mar 06, 2005 12:03 pm

DuoEnigma wrote:I don't know why, but I like hearing about creators making their first amvs, and than comparing your new stuff to the old days.
Banged out in a few days in Windows Movie Maker (1).
Footage taken from VCD, audio mixed by me from CD sources plus sound bytes sampled (not ripped) from the VCD.
Most or all lip synching done for me by the people who made the fan parody on the VCD.
No resizing, processing, or anything.
.WMV export.
Sucked.
DuoEnigma wrote:do you still watch your first amvs?
No.
DuoEnigma wrote:and compare your current work with what you have done in the past?
Maybe if I make another comedy I can compare that to my 2003 stuff, but other than that, no.
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

GloryQuestor
Moderation Hero
Org Profile

Post by GloryQuestor » Sun Mar 06, 2005 12:19 pm

Do I watch all my old AMVs? Of course! :D

I only make AMVs that I like to watch over and over again. I find that's the enjoyment of making AMVs in the first place: No matter how long you work on an AMV, the finished product should be something that you personally like to watch and enjoy. :)

[MOD42: This is more of a General AMV thing than a General Video thing.]
Website Administrator, AnimeMusicVideos.Org
Samurai Warriors Productions
Pittsburgh Japanese Culture Society Events - AMV Department Head
Middle Tennessee Anime Convention - Main Events Operations Manager
Anime Weekend Atlanta - Senior Manager of Programming - Video Art Track

downwithpants
BIG PICTURE person
Org Profile

Post by downwithpants » Sun Mar 06, 2005 12:57 pm

making my first video was by far the most fun i had making a vid. i rarely watch that vid now.

when i was making my 2nd and 3rd videos, i used all the mistakes in my 1st vid as a bank of things to avoid and all the success in that vid as a bank of things to improve. i still observe mistakes in my previous videos and videos of others, and successes in my previous videos and those of others to shape my videos.
maskandlayer()|My Guide to WMM 2.x
a-m-v.org Last.fm|<a href="http://www.frappr.com/animemusicvideosdotorg">Animemusicvideos.org Frappr</a>|<a href="http://tinyurl.com/2lryta"> Editors and fans against the misattribution of AMVs</a>

mexicanjunior
Org Profile

Re: Memories of making your first AMV

Post by mexicanjunior » Sun Mar 06, 2005 1:09 pm

DuoEnigma wrote:What about you guys/gals do you still watch your first amvs? and compare your current work with what you have done in the past?
Yep, it's always fun to watch the old stuff, reminds me of how much I used to enjoy editing. :P

*inverse*
Org Profile

Post by *inverse* » Sun Mar 06, 2005 1:42 pm

I remember my first AMV - I was so excited about it, I would watch it over and over again. I had it (along with others) up on Kazaa for the longest time.

Then I came to this website, and everything changed - at least my style has improved a little ^^;

Farlo
expectations of deliberate annihilation
Org Profile

Post by Farlo » Sun Mar 06, 2005 1:46 pm

my first amv, was me ripping apart carlos' faces of death video, fluxy's gats and god video, and ssgwnbtd's wait and bleed video...

i chopped em and stuck it with some shitty SOAD(god how did i stand that shit back then) song...

it sucked ass, but at least i keep my videos simular(the ass sucking aspect)

Voices_Of_Ryan
Org Profile

Post by Voices_Of_Ryan » Sun Mar 06, 2005 2:37 pm

The first one I have any record of (or recolection) that I made without any help was on a Vcr + DVD Player setup. It had those crappy pause and play signals at the upper right hand corner that I never could figure out how to get rid of (:roll:). It used random Dragonballz footage (from cartoon network ofcourse) some Evangelion I had on bad quailty vhs, a few tenchi ep's some pokemon and ofcourse Digimon (which still kicks so much ass btw.. I'm glad I saved some Episodes on VHS from fox).

It was done to "We got the Power" by I THINK Aretha Franklin (which the spelling is all wrong on, but I'm not even sure she did the song). It was a pretty by the books action video and I still have it on vhs (though the vhs is now so messed up by the tape wearing out that I'm not even sure it plays).

What makes this video so neat to me, is the fact that I actually did do some pretty decent syncing with the VCR/Dvd player setup (nothing like Vlad or Kevin, but hey.. who's perfect :P?).

My first Pc video stemmed from having watched quite a few digital videos over at Vegetto, Castor and Meri's sites. I finally got into that kind of editing with my first Digital video done back in either '02 or '03 (quite frankly I forget). It was a while after that, that I actually really started making digital videos and asking for help...
My first Digital video was done with some footage from other videos and some editing in Virtual Dub and it got lost when I whiped my K6-2 drives a while back.

Sorry for that being so long.
"hey... no"

DuoEnigma
Org Profile

Post by DuoEnigma » Sun Mar 06, 2005 2:55 pm

^Nah, dude don't worry about it. The more the better....
"No one ever achieved victory by sitting back and waiting for it to come to them"

Qyot27
Surreptitious fluffy bunny
Org Profile

Post by Qyot27 » Sun Mar 06, 2005 2:56 pm

My first video experiments were a couple of songs I tacked over rips of Megaman 8 and Megaman X4 cutscenes. My first real video was made from rips of some of the video games I had (which was the only anime-type sourcing I had back then), and crappy downloaded copies of Transformers: The Movie, a few commercials, a subbed episode of DBZ, and Robotech II: The Sentinels.

I didn't pay attention to the beats of the song at all, or the lyrics, but focused on making the clips flow based only on how well I thought one clip segued into the next. It was to "When Worlds Collide", and yes, I did remaster it over a year ago once I got most of those things on DVD. The original took me a couple of days, I believe.

I don't think it was a bad video, and considering I edited it in VDub (like all of my videos from before July 2003), it's actually pretty good. I still enjoy watching it, even though I've improved a lot.
My profile on MyAnimeList | Quasistatic Regret: yeah, yeah, I finally got a blog

Return to “General AMV”