Classical Music and Anime

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
throneofseele
Org Profile

Classical Music and Anime

Post by throneofseele » Tue Feb 24, 2004 6:21 pm

Hey I was thinking late one night, pondering over the many anime i've viewed and noticed a very similar trend in most. There is always some type of classical music and instrumental music in it, whether voice is present or not it still has a classical origin to it. Also, I've noticed people have been making AMVs, putting them to classical music. I think the combination for the emotional powerful scenes where someone busts out a hidden power or something very impressive happens (look at Evangelion, lots and lots of examples there) is really really good. What do u guys/girls think? Also, what would be good combinations in your minds of animes and classical music? Just to throw one out there, Beethoven's 7th Symphony (the Zardoz theme movement) to Nazca (whose classical theme is very sweet btw) where the people awaken or Naruto. Hope ya'll respond

~Throne of Seele

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Tue Feb 24, 2004 6:26 pm

Actually, while instrumental videos are not common, those that are around are most often based on classical or classical-inspired music. I speak from experience, since I've recently completed an Evangelion instrumental vid to a non-classical-inspired instrumental.

But, a lot of classical music is still yet to be used. I'd like to see more by the more powerful-type classical buffs (Beethoven or Wagner); but I'm more interested in seeing some of the more unusual 'academic' music used, too. Paganini's Caprices would be insane, if anyone could vid them, and I'd be more than enthused for Bartok (I think his music would make some very unusual vids).
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

Rorschach
Org Profile

Re: Classical Music and Anime

Post by Rorschach » Tue Feb 24, 2004 11:22 pm

throneofseele wrote:Hey I was thinking late one night, pondering over the many anime i've viewed and noticed a very similar trend in most. There is always some type of classical music and instrumental music in it, whether voice is present or not it still has a classical origin to it. Also, I've noticed people have been making AMVs, putting them to classical music. I think the combination for the emotional powerful scenes where someone busts out a hidden power or something very impressive happens (look at Evangelion, lots and lots of examples there) is really really good. What do u guys/girls think? Also, what would be good combinations in your minds of animes and classical music? Just to throw one out there, Beethoven's 7th Symphony (the Zardoz theme movement) to Nazca (whose classical theme is very sweet btw) where the people awaken or Naruto. Hope ya'll respond
I agree that classic music goes rather well with animes, but I think the stuff about "busting out a hidden power" is overused much as the "gratuitous fight scenes" are in comic books. Classical music also tends to suit subtler emotions better in most circumstances.

I do notice that a few more violent classics are available, though... The electronic versions of Beethoven as played in Stanley Kubrick's Clockwork Orange would probably go well with just about any anime featuring violent youth gangs. Also, "A Night on Bald Mountain" would probably fit with just about any depiction of terrible evil, as it did in Disney's original Fantasia movie.

For a more humorous piece, maybe some of the more lively scenes (especially the ones of various creatures scrambling over each other) from Spirited Away would go with the "Sword Dance" song I've heard of circuses playing on calliopes, which I believe is also a classic.

mister_freeze2
Org Profile

Post by mister_freeze2 » Thu Feb 26, 2004 11:05 pm

I can dig it. I've always wanted to try putting a Beethoven Piano Sonata into a project, like the Presto agitato from the Moonlight Sonata.
C I A O

paulrowe
Org Profile

A couple of suggestions...

Post by paulrowe » Fri Feb 27, 2004 5:18 am

I know that Richard Wagner's overture to "Die Meistersinger von Nurnberg" was used pretty prominently in Boogiepop Phantom (and I seem to recall it showing up in the first episode of RahXephon).

Also, one of the themes of Alexander Borodin's "Prince Igor" shows up pretty prominently in RahXephon. (If you recognize it, that might also be because that theme was ripped for use in the musical "Kismet", given lyrics, and called "A Stranger in Paradise".)

In addition, the first theme from Richard Strauss's "Also Sprach Zarathustra" is used in Abenobashi Magical Shopping Arcade while they parody "2001: A Space Odyssey".

There is so much in the realm of classical music and quite a bit of emotion expressed (especially apparent in the music from the Romantic Period), that you should probably have an idea of what you want to create before you ask for more help.

Savia
Chocolate teapot
Org Profile

Post by Savia » Fri Feb 27, 2004 9:19 am

I have to mention Princess Tutu here, and I know I do it a lot, but that's because the anime is driven by classical, fairy stories, and ballet. Every episode has a different classical theme to it, most noticeably episode thirteen ('Schwannensee', Swan Lake) and episode twenty-four ('Danse Macabre', Variations on a Theme of Danse Macabre'). As for classical AMVs, I'd love to hear and see more of these if the opportunity arises. My mentioning of all of this indirectly lead to Janzki's excellent Haibane Renmei AMV.

So yes, in total, I think that classical conveys enough of a spread of emotion and power to have good AMVs made to it. Balletic music is especially suited, in my mind, as it has a story element to it already.
"A creator needs only one enthusiast to justify him." - Man Ray
"Restrictions breed creativity." - Mark Rosewater

A Freudian slip is where you say one thing, but mean your mother.

Jnzk
Artsy Bastid
Org Profile

Post by Jnzk » Fri Feb 27, 2004 10:52 am

Savia wrote:I have to mention Princess Tutu here, and I know I do it a lot, but that's because the anime is driven by classical, fairy stories, and ballet. Every episode has a different classical theme to it, most noticeably episode thirteen ('Schwannensee', Swan Lake) and episode twenty-four ('Danse Macabre', Variations on a Theme of Danse Macabre'). As for classical AMVs, I'd love to hear and see more of these if the opportunity arises. My mentioning of all of this indirectly lead to Janzki's excellent Haibane Renmei AMV.
:oops:

I really have to check out Princess Tutu sometime, the concept sounds very interesting.

Savia
Chocolate teapot
Org Profile

Post by Savia » Fri Feb 27, 2004 11:58 am

Janzki wrote:
Savia wrote:I have to mention Princess Tutu here, and I know I do it a lot, but that's because the anime is driven by classical, fairy stories, and ballet. Every episode has a different classical theme to it, most noticeably episode thirteen ('Schwannensee', Swan Lake) and episode twenty-four ('Danse Macabre', Variations on a Theme of Danse Macabre'). As for classical AMVs, I'd love to hear and see more of these if the opportunity arises. My mentioning of all of this indirectly lead to Janzki's excellent Haibane Renmei AMV.
:oops:

I really have to check out Princess Tutu sometime, the concept sounds very interesting.
Yes, you do :wink: A dramatic romance/shoujo series with strong classical literary and musical overtones, with a bit of silliness every now and again :)
"A creator needs only one enthusiast to justify him." - Man Ray
"Restrictions breed creativity." - Mark Rosewater

A Freudian slip is where you say one thing, but mean your mother.

Bote
Org Profile

Re: A couple of suggestions...

Post by Bote » Fri Feb 27, 2004 2:48 pm

paulrowe wrote: Also, one of the themes of Alexander Borodin's "Prince Igor" shows up pretty prominently in RahXephon. (If you recognize it, that might also be because that theme was ripped for use in the musical "Kismet", given lyrics, and called "A Stranger in Paradise".)
:up: I love that melody! It's so catchy. To bad Rah didn't have any other good melodies besides that one, 'cause all the OST songs are earsore. But that one owns! I'd like to see something good with it but in original Borodins version. Bah, I'll dew it myself. :D
My Youtube channel: Bote Logos
NEW!!! One Piece AMV - "YUM YUM 2.0"
Berserk - Man of Sorrows (upscaled to 4k)
Beowulf@RDS wrote:RECTANGLES AND AFTER EFFECTS WONT SAVE YOU NOW MOTHERFUCKERS

risk one
Org Profile

Post by risk one » Sat Feb 28, 2004 11:25 am

Otohiko wrote: but I'm more interested in seeing some of the more unusual 'academic' music used, too.
*points to sig*

After this neccesary shamelesness, I think that stuff like Beethoven needs to be carefully selected. Orchestral pieces generally have more than 3 voices, and you can really only follow one at the time with your video. This can lead to dissappointment when you begin editing (speaking from experience). Having said that, editing to a classical piece is a very nice experience and the end result (if it's good) can give your viewer a new understanding of the music used.
ImageImage

Return to “General AMV”