Newbies: How to make your first AMV

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
jonmartensen
Org Profile

Post by jonmartensen » Sun Oct 13, 2002 1:19 pm

Ok I'm new to this so I geuss I can handle that question best.

I just finished my first AMV and it isn't to hard but it does require time to play around with the program that you end up using.

I used Adobe Premiere, you can get a free trial version of it from the adobe website (it lasts 30 days).

You have to have some sort of source footage and the general way to get it is either straight off a DVD or through a capture card (i.e. takes TV input and saves it).

So to the FAQ on the home page and find Ermacs guide, no wait, here is the link just use this http://www.animemusicvideos.org/legacy/ErMaC/ Ermac did a very nice job on how to get DVD source.

So all you need to do is get a song (in .wav format preferably), your source (if you have a dvd player on your computer that would work best), and Adobe Premiere. Just DL premiere from here http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/main.html and play with it for a while, It took me three weeks with to finish my first vid so don't get discouraged if it takes a while.

NewFoundGlory
Org Profile

I'm trying to start my first AMV! I need help

Post by NewFoundGlory » Sat Oct 26, 2002 2:10 pm

I don't know how to make one!!
I know I would need footage of animes, but how do I get it on my computer? Also, how do i edit the footage to a song? :?

FurryCurry
Org Profile

Post by FurryCurry » Sat Oct 26, 2002 3:50 pm

Umm...

Reading this thread you posted in from beginning to end would be a good start.
Then read the materials that have been linked to here, then read other threads on this forum for answers to questions that come up.

That would be a good start.

bloodyfang
Org Profile

Post by bloodyfang » Sat Oct 26, 2002 3:52 pm

well If you lok in the main member's page there are links called Guides, Software, hardware, etc. THose will help get you started. Also try not to ask about Piracy. you will get no help and will be flamed if you do.

to get footage you can either
  • Rip Footage with a DVD drive (prefered method)

Use a capture Card (also prefered method)

download using KaZaA or direct connect type file sharing programs (Bad method but it works. Just try to get good quality footage)
There are many Video Editing programs. You can find info at the Software page.
An ocean of dust and randomly strung together pieces of hydrogen, serving no purpose other than allowing all of us to continue in our misery, doomed to an enternity of petty squabbles and meaningless ego trips, until the whole thing one day explodes and starts the whole shebang all over again. - Chaos_Angel

Sub0
Org Profile

Post by Sub0 » Sun Oct 27, 2002 1:03 pm

NicholasDWolfwood wrote:Capture cards aren't that expensive. I've got an http://www.iomagic.com PC-PVR TV Tuner card, and it's fine. It has S-Video out, RCA in and Comp out (Dunno wtf that is...)

I got it for $50 from the I/O Magic store (Well, actually, my dad got it for me, but same difference..)

It's a pretty useful card, and the software it comes with (Cyberlink PowerVCR II 3.0) will capture into MPEG-1 or MPEG-2.
I always use the s-video port in my PCPVR, so I don't think it's an out... unless it accepts both in AND out streams. the RCA is where the sound comes out (when you use the antenna portion) and you say RCA in, I think your backwards again :lol: cuz it apparently streams out not in. Comp is short for Composite, that yellow plug (and the type of tv connection that comes with current consoles). I've never gotten my composite to work, but I've always assumed it was a Comp IN... maybe it IS an out hmmmmm.

Also you don't use your RCA out -> line in wire (should have gotten one with the card) when capturing from an s-video source, you need a wire that goes from the l and r channels of the composite line (the red and white parts that come from the console/ camcorder whatever) to the line-in part of your sound card. I got my cable from radio shack. if you don't do this you can just tape it w/o sound but -you know- it's better with sound :P . You can also just tape the sound without the video if you want... you don't even need a capture card for that, just open Sound Recorder, play it and you can hear it from you computer, press record to record...

Sub0
Org Profile

Post by Sub0 » Sun Oct 27, 2002 1:09 pm

oh and if you make your own profile under PVCR 3.0 than you can set it to all 'I' frames, I frames means info frames and is another word for key frames. makes FF and rewinding a b!tch but highly suggested for editing... coarse editing in MPEG itself isn't suggested but -hey- ya gotta do what ya gotta do! :wink:

Eulogy
Org Profile

Post by Eulogy » Thu Oct 31, 2002 8:01 pm

The only problem I ever run into is filesize...

I use Adobe photoshop 6.0 , are there any files I could download (presets) for high quality video, high quality audio, and decent filesize? (Perhaps about 30 meg for a 3 min video?)

Other than that, I am fine with the editing. Sometimes after I edit crap, and export it, the timing is way off than what I originally set it. What is that due to? crappy processor/video card ?

Well haha I dont wanna seem like a noob... I've been doin AMVs for a while..

Thanks
Then why are you so surprised to hear your own Euu-lah-jay

The HentaiMaster
Org Profile

Re: Newbies: How to make your first AMV

Post by The HentaiMaster » Fri Nov 01, 2002 2:25 pm

jbone wrote:This question gets asked several times a day, so I think I'll try to create a definitive "what to do" guide.

First, you need source material. Lots of people start with downloaded clips/fansubs. These will let you make something, but your finished video won't look very good. Rather, you should use DVD source for the best results. (<A HREF=http://www.animemusicvideos.org/legacy/ ... tm>REFG</A> to learn how to work with your video streams. Don't ask here, as it's already all answered for you in the guide.)

Second, just pick an idea and run with it. Something sound good to you? try it. Work on it for hours or for days. Teach yourself how to do cool things with the software. Your video will most likely suck, but almost everyone's first videos suck. It may take you three or four tries to actually be able to make anything good, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't just throw together something that "sounds cool" - you need that experience in order to learn what to do (or what not to do). Don't worry about people not liking it, 'cause you don't even have to show it to anyone. Just don't post on the message boards that you're new and you want someone's help to start - dozens of such requests are made a week, and nobody's going to hold your hand and/or give you a good idea that you couldn't've easily come up with by yourself.

Third, don't ask stupid questions. Think things through, don't waste peoples' time asking things which could easily be answered by reading the manual/reading the guides/reading past message board posts/using common sense.

Fourth, don't ask people to give you software. Some programs are available for free; some are cheap; others are expen sive. Nobody here will give you pirated software, and many people here will flame you if you start to brag about how you used pirated software.

Well, that's everything that comes to mind for the moment.

I get the point. You're direct and that is good (sommetimes) but somme ppl have allread red the the help stuff all ready tried but it's not all ways easy to do it. I hada this great idea( not only one ) (and still have it ) but when i tried for days and houres at the and what happend was that i had this well made vid but with no sound no music i was so pissed that i just gave up i trued later ageain and agein but it didn't work out agen.
Like in my case ppl come to siutes like these to ask questions and possibly get ther answer and try to understand what they did wrong. but no offence with pl liek u asking them not ask ther questions how will they get better. It 's like having a microphone and you're trying to sing but u didn't push the on button how will sing iff u don't know that there is this button that is on off or on. Somme times ppl need a lil push in the right direction to able to do what they want to.

No offence man, iff i offended u i didn't mean to.

Peace out ![/quote]
More things change more things stay the same

The HentaiMaster

VashViceStyle
Org Profile

Old Way?

Post by VashViceStyle » Tue Nov 12, 2002 10:17 pm

waht is the way to make a musicvideo with just a vcr and music....at the moment i dont have a program to get my recorded video to my computer so this is my only way....?...so how can i make a musicvdieo with just music...video....and a vcr?

Sub0
Org Profile

Re: Old Way?

Post by Sub0 » Tue Nov 12, 2002 10:45 pm

VashViceStyle wrote:waht is the way to make a musicvideo with just a vcr and music....at the moment i dont have a program to get my recorded video to my computer so this is my only way....?...so how can i make a musicvdieo with just music...video....and a vcr?
there's a guide just for that... you need 2 vcrs for it though ;-p can be two el cheapos though and 2 different ones dodn't matter

Return to “General AMV”