Is Posting an AMV illegal?

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
RiceBurner
Org Profile

Is Posting an AMV illegal?

Post by RiceBurner » Wed Jul 09, 2003 6:11 pm

hey guys, I want to put some of my AMV's on here, but my dad says not to because it's illegal. I just wanna know if it really is. What's the deal? If I give credit to the music source and anime, is that enough? Or is it illegal to use an anime and song without the makers permission? Please gimme some feedback.
We, who are about to die, salute you.
"The Inner machinations of my mind are an enigma"
Turtles count it off!

AznRAVEr1022
Org Profile

Post by AznRAVEr1022 » Wed Jul 09, 2003 6:13 pm

technically... yes, it is illegal

EarthCurrent
Org Profile

Post by EarthCurrent » Wed Jul 09, 2003 6:13 pm

If you don't want to be "Illegal" you can still input the info about the video, the song, the anime, a description ect. Just don't upload it. The main purpose of this site is still to be a repository about what videos have been made and by whom.

alternatefutures
Org Profile

Post by alternatefutures » Wed Jul 09, 2003 6:38 pm

It's only illegal to distribute an AMV (when you don't have the rights to the footage and music). Making it, showing it to your family/friends (no, an online community does not fall under the description of "friends"), and talking about them are not illegal. So, feel free to list it, just don't offer a download option.

Shun
Org Profile

Post by Shun » Wed Jul 09, 2003 7:01 pm

Azn i dont even want to know what the monkey in your avatar is doing :shock:

Mr Pilkington
Location: Well, hey, you, you should stop being over there and be over here!
Org Profile

Post by Mr Pilkington » Wed Jul 09, 2003 7:04 pm

Yes its illegal.
But so is speeding, and I bet you do that too (especially judging by your screenname.)

Legal or illegal its an issue of morals, and I don’t' see anything wrong with it. It's not bootlegging, and we sure as hell aren't making money off the issue; quite the contrary actually. So why bother worry about issues of legal or illegal? Unless you do something totally dumb you'll never get caught. Hell the music and anime industries should be all about us. How many times have you gone out and purchased a CD or DVD (or cassette be it the case) because of an AMV?

EarthCurrent
Org Profile

Post by EarthCurrent » Wed Jul 09, 2003 7:11 pm

Whatever we may feel about the issue, it's still his dad's call... :?

RiceBurner
Org Profile

Post by RiceBurner » Wed Jul 09, 2003 7:16 pm

ok, thnx dad! screw my dad (well, ok maybe not), i'm gonna post my AMV's! I've gotten so many AMV's from this site, i wanna help contribute. infact, i think i'll help the pledge drive. i mean, i dont know of any major cases where people have been sued b/c of AMV on the net, so I'll take my risks.
Turtles count it off!

Dannywilson
Org Profile

Post by Dannywilson » Wed Jul 09, 2003 7:25 pm

The worst that's happened in the 5-6 year history of this site is several "Cease and Desist" letters from recording artists, the most notable of which is when Prince asked several members of the community to take down videos with his music in them.
"in the morning when i have wood..i like to walk around my house and bump random shit with it.... " -Random comment on grouphug.us

RiceBurner
Org Profile

Post by RiceBurner » Wed Jul 09, 2003 7:28 pm

oops, ok, the very first "dad" in my last response was supposed to be "guys"
Turtles count it off!

Return to “General AMV”