all time top ten AMVs on YouTube (August 2021)

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
seasons
Org Profile

Re: all time top ten AMVs on YouTube (August 2021)

Post by seasons » Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:16 pm

I thought I'd explored every subgenre of this stuff to know if I was missing something that had over 100 million views. But once again I was wrong.

This has 131 million views.

SQ
Doesn't have a title
Org Profile

Post by SQ » Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:47 pm

lol at #8.

What are the search terms you use?
What possessed you to start researching this?

Did you know about this playlist? https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... d3x1sZh8hC
StandardQuip
Discord: @standardquip
BentoVid (previously AMV Sashimi) Discord Server

seasons
Org Profile

Post by seasons » Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:04 pm

I've never seen that playlist but I have read this and it's basically the same, or at least it should be.

Search terms are obviously "AMV," ""MMV," "anime music video" and even "ASMV," all sorted by view count. Some of the videos in this thread do not appear in any of those search results at all and were only included here because I'd stumbled across them before and made note of them (specifically, videos #1 and #2).

Why do this? I don't know, it's just interesting to see how these results change over time, how they confirm my assumptions of what would be on this list, how they defy those assumptions in really unexpected ways, and just to see how even four years ago, an AMV with 20 million views would be guaranteed a spot on the list, but these days even 50 million might not be enough to get you into the top 20. But that's just how it is for everyone now. You can make a music video with Drake or Taylor Swift and if it only gets half a billion views, it's considered a failure. Even a global smash like "Gangnam Style," a song and a music video that changed the world and was once the most-viewed video on YouTube, has now been effortlessly lapped by "Baby Shark." Eventually there will be an AMV that gets a billion views. It won't be for many years and it won't be anything that we expect but it will eventually happen.

Return to “General AMV”