Org Profile

Re: Old AMVs and how to find them

Post by ngsilver » Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:30 pm

Zarxrax wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:38 am
ngsilver wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:59 am
hopefully my current 82tb of storage with 16tb being added soon will be enough
Wow, how large are each of these archives (the vault, vlad's archive, your personal archive)?
My whole archive currently sits around 6TB in size. Though keep in mind it does have duplicates present.
The Vault sits at 28GB, partially due to me unpacking all the Zip files most of the videos were stored in originally.
The Contest Archive is 1.7TB in size.

I will see what I can do about getting The Vault in some format that can be easily accessed for review. Perhaps Google Drive for now? When it comes to setting up torrents I'm not well versed and there is the question of what trackers to use.
ImageImageImageImage

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:40 pm

I think google drive should be okay if that works for you, but don't they have some sort of upload limit?

ngsilver
The Old School Otaku
Org Profile

Post by ngsilver » Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:52 am

I pay for 10TB of storage in drive that I use for off-site backup and other collaboration. I'll PM the link.
ImageImageImageImage

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:00 pm

So, I've downloaded The Vault, and my initial thoughts are that this could help make a good foundation for a new archive of classic AMVs. I do see that it contains a lot of videos that are already hosted on the org, as well as content that is kind of tangential to AMVs. So the first course of action would be to do an audit of the content to find out what is and isn't already hosted here. I can do this, probably over the next week or so.

Then, maybe we need to figure out what the scope of a new archive should be. For example, should things like parody dubs be included? What about MADs, live action videos, or original animation? I have a personal archive of 30GB of MADs, for example.

ngsilver
The Old School Otaku
Org Profile

Post by ngsilver » Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:40 am

I have my own archive of M@Ds, LA videos, animation videos, and parody dubs and subs (most of which I pulled from another archive site that I don't remember if it's still open). I wouldn't mind including all of these things, but I'm more of a creative/fan/works collector then just AMVs themselves. I have a pretty extensive collection of MLP videos from 2011 to 2017 or so, not exactly old but they've basically been relegated to youtube.

I'm more then willing to dedicate space on my personal server for keeping this archive. I am pretty meticulous about keeping my separate mirrors of other archives separate from my personal archive, so while there will most likely be duplicates (my own archive I will keep multiple versions of a video if released in multiple formats, like mkv, HD, SD, ect) I've got the space to assist. I am a data hoarder.
ImageImageImageImage

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:18 pm

I have gone through and checked all of the videos in The Vault and found their info on the org where available: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

There are only about 200 videos total, then accounting for the duplicates, the ones that are already hosted locally on the org, and the non-amv stuff, there are really probably about 140-150 actual amvs there.

I'm building a new pc next week, so I probably wont look at this any more before that. Then I will start organizing this better, go through my own archive to see if I have anything that should be added, and then there is a large amv torrent out there that I need to go through as well. After all of that, I might start seeing what kind of gaps exist.

Is anyone able to somehow compile a list of amvs that won awards at contests, maybe prior to 2003? Those amvs would be particularly notable, so I would like to collect as many of them as possible.

TnAdct1
Org Profile

Post by TnAdct1 » Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:18 pm

Zarxrax wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:18 pm
Is anyone able to somehow compile a list of amvs that won awards at contests, maybe prior to 2003? Those amvs would be particularly notable, so I would like to collect as many of them as possible.
Here are the ones that I am aware of:

C-ko - magic.mpg - Best in Show, Otakon 1994

maboroshi - Maboroshi_Far_And_Away.mpg - Best in Show (and other awards), AWA Pro 2000

maboroshi - Maboroshi_RHCP_Rollercoaster.mpg - Best Comedy, AWA Pro 2001

maboroshi - Sweating Bullets.mpg - Best Action, Anime Expo 2000; Best Drama, Otakon 2000

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:54 pm

Zarxrax wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:18 pm
There's always The Internet Archive.

I knew never deleting any of my bookmarks from 2002 to the present would come in handy at some point!
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:21 am

Scintilla wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:54 pm
There's always The Internet Archive.

I knew never deleting any of my bookmarks from 2002 to the present would come in handy at some point!
Blessed are the data hoarders, for they shall inherit all the data.

Kekskuchen666
Org Profile

Post by Kekskuchen666 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:08 am

I'm just a rando online but I would absolutely adore a browseable archive of AMVs. There are so many things in the world of subcultures that are inaccessible now due to draconian copyright enforcement and file degradation, and I'd support any effort to counter these problems. If there is the need for financial or otherwise service support, I'd love to throw my hat in there.

Return to “General AMV”