Old AMVs and how to find them

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
Fait
Org Profile

Old AMVs and how to find them

Post by Fait » Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:10 am

Apologies if this is a topic that's already been broached elsewhere on the site...

Has anyone ever found an AMV here and then later lost it? If so, maybe someone has it saved and could share it again? I know one I'm looking for is called Almost Human, set to Mega Man X 4 cut scenes, with the song Long Way Down by the Goo Goo Dolls. It was made by someone named Jahrid But the link to the vid is long dead. Anyone have this AMV by chance? If so, thanks in advance!

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Re: Old AMVs and how to find them

Post by Kionon » Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:07 am

To your specific question, no I have no idea where to find this particular AMV.

To your more general question, I think NGSilver has the most comprehensive archive. We used to have The Vault, and I want to say I honestly have a lot of what was in it, but I don't think it has been online for years.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:51 pm

There needs to be like... a torrent of the vault. Spread it out to more people.

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:29 pm

Zarxrax wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:51 pm
There needs to be like... a torrent of the vault. Spread it out to more people.
Sure, but does anyone still have an actual copy of "the vault"?

If not, do we establish a new one, and have so, how do we decide what is included? Pre-Org? So say, nothing newer than 2000?
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:46 pm

Kionon wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:29 pm
Sure, but does anyone still have an actual copy of "the vault"?

If not, do we establish a new one, and have so, how do we decide what is included? Pre-Org? So say, nothing newer than 2000?
I don't really know. I think pre-org is a decent starting point. Pre-golden donut is another significant milestone, as many people couldn't actually find hosting for their videos prior to that.

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:17 pm

Zarxrax wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:46 pm
I don't really know. I think pre-org is a decent starting point. Pre-golden donut is another significant milestone, as many people couldn't actually find hosting for their videos prior to that.
That's a good point. I had my own hosting via my university, and anyone who did, had their own small studio or personal sites. But if you weren't in university or an adult who could afford hosting, you were limited to trading discs at cons.

I should make a list of 2001 and older videos I have, since I organise with year, that should be fairly easy for me to do.

I think here on the Org our proxy process was supposed to allow us to add these to the Org, but I think we still might need a back up. Wondering what kind of host I should go with. Maybe a SharePoint site to begin with...
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

ngsilver
The Old School Otaku
Org Profile

Post by ngsilver » Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:59 am

I do have a copy of "The Vault" which I took right before it was taken down, as well as a copy circa 2013 of Vlad's contest archive, on top of my personal archive of videos I've pulled from here and Youtube upon release (though my personal archive is about 3 years old at this point as I haven't really done much recent video downloading since I've been spending most of my time working on my server and other projects)

I would not be against setting up some kind of torrent of my personal archive and The Vault, but Vlad's contest archive I'd first want a newer copy and then I'd want to also make sure it's cool with him as well as the contests that share their submissions for this archive.

I have been working on trying to setup some kind of file share using my personal home server (one of the reasons I'm working it is to get it ready to support multiple users as well as just having enough space to hold all the AMVs, hopefully my current 82tb of storage with 16tb being added soon will be enough) using nextcloud or something similar. But access control is a thing I'm worried about, as well as how to police adding videos to it.

As for Ops original request about the video, I can't find a copy in my archive. Looks like it was from prior to my finding this site (didn't find it till 2003) and is in rm format so I doubt I have a copy, it's also not part of The Vault.
ImageImageImageImage

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:38 am

ngsilver wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:59 am
hopefully my current 82tb of storage with 16tb being added soon will be enough
Wow, how large are each of these archives (the vault, vlad's archive, your personal archive)?

CrackTheSky
has trust issues
Org Profile

Post by CrackTheSky » Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:35 pm

ngsilver wrote:
I would not be against setting up some kind of torrent of my personal archive and The Vault
I would love to see this, I remember you had given me access a long time ago and I grabbed a bunch of stuff but not all of it.

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:47 pm

ngsilver wrote:
I would not be against setting up some kind of torrent of...The Vault.
Can we get this up to begin with? I'd like to compare it to what I already have... Let's just start with The Vault. I think I have most of it, but I might now.

It's likely the smallest.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

Return to “General AMV”