AMV's that are as far from normal as possible but you still enjoy?

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
Katranat
Org Profile

AMV's that are as far from normal as possible but you still enjoy?

Post by Katranat » Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:28 pm

Seeing CrackThesky's #2 AMV of the last year has made me curious - are there any AMV's you guys enjoy and would recommend that would be considered not a typical AMV?

Anything that is edited oddly?
Anything that is poor quality or has glitches/render errors, or subtitles etc.?
Anything that is deliberately edited to be as off putting as possible?
Anything that has very little sync of any type, or hardly any effort put into it?

Basically I want to see how far from the normal we can get while still somehow being an enjoyable viewing experience.

Lay it on me!

To get started, here's a few vids that I like where I enjoy them but they're unusual. Pretty sure they're nowhere near as odd as things you all will no doubt come up with.

Sadly - FLASHING WARNING FOR ALL OF THE BELOW

A lot of the cuts in this are so fast they look like orphan frames, in combination with the song (which is an odd remix of Trigun's opening theme) it makes for a very jarring watch. I think I like this video mainly because they try and pack as much Trigun as physically possible into it.

This is sadly terrible quality and for some reason the editor decided to add Japanese subtitles for the lyrics of the song. Other than those two things this is actually a fairly normally edited AMV. I enjoy this video cause it's one of my favourite anime and I love this song.

This video is a fairly standard "cool music over cool clips" AMV, it has hardly any real sync at all. I think I found it way back when the Hellsing OVA's were still new and I enjoyed it mainly for the song. I can't quite put my finger on why I still enjoy this though.

I can't quite put my finger on whether the person who made this is trying too hard to be humorous or trying too hard to be profound. Either way, they're definitely trying too hard to be something and it doesn't quite hit the mark (though maybe someone who's actually watched Evangelion properly might get it...). Oddly enough, I enjoy the actual editing in this AMV, and it inspired me somewhat in the way I edit my own AMV's.

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Re: AMV's that are as far from normal as possible but you still enjoy?

Post by Zarxrax » Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:44 pm

Although its pretty well known, "It's Tricky To Make a Music Video" intentionally violated 9 out of the "10 commandments of AMVs". Details in the video info.

TnAdct1
Org Profile

Post by TnAdct1 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:22 pm

Because this classic needs to be mentioned:

Katranat
Org Profile

Post by Katranat » Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:53 pm

Zarxrax wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:44 pm
Although its pretty well known, "It's Tricky To Make a Music Video" intentionally violated 9 out of the "10 commandments of AMVs". Details in the video info.

Oh yes, I love this video! This is such a great one, it deliberately does all of the terrible AMV tropes, but it's a good AMV because of that.

Katranat
Org Profile

Post by Katranat » Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:55 pm

TnAdct1 wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:22 pm
Because this classic needs to be mentioned:

Wow, I had forgotten about this video. It's amazing how good this video is despite being what it is... It does get kinda mind numbing though

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:10 pm

I remembered another very unusual AMV:

For whatever reason, this doesn't seem to be hosted here on the org anymore.

CrackTheSky
has trust issues
Org Profile

Post by CrackTheSky » Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:05 pm

Oh I've got plenty, here's a sampling:

Very slow, most people probably won't have the patience for this.

I don't know what it is about this one, but I absolutely love the weird, totally off-putting approach that most people would probably write off as full of amateur mistakes.

Not very dynamic, but super fun and charming.

This is more that the effects here haven't aged well, and most people probably wouldn't enjoy this, but it's a stone-cold classic in my book.

Can be physically painful to watch because of how flashy it is, but the idea and presentation are fascinating.

Katranat
Org Profile

Post by Katranat » Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:55 pm

Zarxrax wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:10 pm
I remembered another very unusual AMV:

For whatever reason, this doesn't seem to be hosted here on the org anymore.
Oooh, I enjoyed this one very much thank you for this. Whoever made this was very dedicated to keeping things weird.

Katranat
Org Profile

Post by Katranat » Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:03 pm

CrackTheSky wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:05 pm
Oh I've got plenty, here's a sampling:
Wow, thank you for all of these!

Very slow, most people probably won't have the patience for this.
Oh! I remember this one from one of your favourite AMV lists one year. Yeah, you absolutely need to be in the right mood for this video, it's super fascinating though.

I don't know what it is about this one, but I absolutely love the weird, totally off-putting approach that most people would probably write off as full of amateur mistakes.
This kinda gives me the same vibe as stereotypical old timey family home footage movies. I'm not sure if that's what the editor was going for but that's how this feels to me.

Not very dynamic, but super fun and charming.
This is absolutely adorable, thank you so much for sharing, I love this.

This is more that the effects here haven't aged well, and most people probably wouldn't enjoy this, but it's a stone-cold classic in my book.
This is quite the journey, I can see what you mean about the effects but honestly they aren't too bad. I do love a lot of the overlay/fade work in this.

Can be physically painful to watch because of how flashy it is, but the idea and presentation are fascinating.
Honestly I think is this one of the more unique ideas for a video I've seen in a long time, this is super cool.

Return to “General AMV”