Exactly how do I get footage

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
Linkin Emerson
Org Profile

Exactly how do I get footage

Post by Linkin Emerson » Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:08 am

Ok so I've been doing this pattern where I will try a few things, it won't work, then I google all I can & repeat more steps I've already tried. Only to eventually get frustrated & give up before I find the answer. Repeat 10x.

I am hoping to really learn exactly how to get footage from DVD's, Netflix or other streaming sites, & any other sources you can think of please. Every step...its been awhile so any skipped steps seen as "obvious" are not, trust me. I'm not entirely computer hopeless, but when it comes to this, its very very niche & I am hoping to finally start learning it for real, not continue finding old threads on googled sites that I've tried 5 times knowing it won't work, but 2nd guessing myself 6 months later.

I wanna make more AMVs sooooo badly:(

For 1 specific question when I try VLC to download a DVD, it messes up, either doesn't work at all or no visual or something. Am I using the wrong file type, When I try recording it I get no audio & sometimes I really want it either to have a digital copy of my DVD on my PC for backup, or to maybe use a line from the movie within an AMV. & even when I tried pulling a silent movie into Davinci Resolve for some reason it cut the tail end of the movie off. It plays in silent til the very end if I open it in VLC etc, but I need the end as its vital to that project I wanna make. I'm sure its somewhere buried within layers upon layers of tiny links, but I don't wanna get frustrating going down 20 wrong rabbit holes before giving up for 6 months again. I'm hoping someone can either link those direct posts/videos/blogs/pleasegodanythingthatleadstotherainbow.

Tigrin
Org Profile

Re: Exactly how do I get footage

Post by Tigrin » Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:20 pm

seasons
Org Profile

Post by seasons » Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:11 pm

Please follow the directions that Tigrin posted. Oh, and you'll absolutely need the AMV Pack. I know it seems like a lot of stuff to download, but it all serves a purpose and there's no more efficient way of handling the entire process of ripping and converting footage into video that you can actually edit with.

Clear your mind and understand that this part of the process is always a creative pain in the butt, but you can get through it. If you get stuck on anything, please ask any questions you have here.

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:18 am

I love that it's been twenty years and we're still getting the same questions.

No sarcasm and no criticism there!

For myself, I'm using MakeMKV to rip. Of course these days it's because I'm mostly using Blu-ray. Note, if you are going to do this, you will need a BD-ROM or BD-RW drive.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

Linkin Emerson
Org Profile

Post by Linkin Emerson » Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:56 pm

Thank you guys. I used to be able help with these a bit, but 20 years is a long time away from tech for myself :awesome:

panic_king
Org Profile

Post by panic_king » Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:18 pm

Definitely buy the DVD's and use a ripper and then MKVMuxer and XMediaRecode to convert the files, once you have that, do not upload the full content anywhere. Make your AMV's and then upload those here.

the Black Monarch
Org Profile

Post by the Black Monarch » Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:24 am

I just want to point out that "Linkin Emerson" is a perfect screen name that demonstrates deep familiarity with early-2000s AMV file-sharing culture. The only possible better screen name would be "Justin Linkinball Z Limewire Morpheus Kazaa Angelpotion Realmedia Evanescence Matrix Reloaded Jar Jar Binks Iraq War Windows XP Emerson".

Good times, man.
Ask me about my secret stash of videos that can't be found anywhere anymore.

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:47 am

panic_king wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:18 pm
...XMediaRecode to convert the files..
No, just no... DVDs are just complicated, there is no all in one converter that doesn't trash the quality, it's best to learn the process to get the best quality.
Software & Guides: AMVpack | AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | VapourSynth 101
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Twitter | YouTube

Zorra Reed
Org Profile

Post by Zorra Reed » Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:51 pm

I was never a great video maker, mostly due to a lack of experience and footage. Every program I've ever used has been 'shut down' for copyright issues. The footage I do have is poor, not sure it's even 720 (was back in the 90s) and I really miss making AMVS. I miss watching them even more. Now I have to come to this site since Youtube has removed hundreds of them, including all but one of my own. I'm looking forward to reading the instructions in the link provided above. I hope it's a simple program, as someone said 20 years later and all the tech stuff I used to be fantastic at means nothing now. I'm starting over and all these terms and formates are like 'wha....?'.

Seriously, I just want a fantastic copy of Ronin Warriors and Black Butler and Sailor Moon and that'll keep me crazy busy with AMVS for a few years. Secretly, I hope to do one for Jem and the Holograms someday as well. I have the DVDs for most of that, but as my SM went 'missing' before I even was able to open them I need to do a Netflix rip and currently, I don't even know how to put the app on my PC as I've never installed an app to my PC before. I'm so behind on this tech. Just upgraded a year ago to Windows 10, now 11 beta is out?! and I was without a PC for almost five years due to flood damage and financial hardship so fell out of touch with the changing times. Now things are settling and I'm here to learn again. It took 3 hours of searching the web just to locate this post.

Nothing is updated past 2019 for this sort of content. The sites I'm directed too either won't download the torrents or all the links are dead, even that popular site anime-raws isn't working. I attend conventions several times a year and my fav activity is entering the AMV contest. I've been excluded for years due to these issues. HELP a girl out! LOL.
Zorra Reed
Fearless Leader

Zorra Reed
Org Profile

Post by Zorra Reed » Sat Oct 09, 2021 12:01 am

ARG!!!! Hey Tigrin and Seasons...the links you both posted, I'm receiving errors on the browser page in Chrome stating the sites are either infected or hacked or something about unsafe. I'm unable to proceed. Is this an issue for anyone else? Do you have another link that would get me to this information or can you post the relevant information in this thread? I tried typing in just the main URL for the site instead of the direct content link and that triggered the same error. I'm open to suggestions if anyone has them. Thanks.
Zorra Reed
Fearless Leader

Return to “General AMV”