My favourite videos of 2020 - that I found via reddit

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
Katranat
Org Profile

My favourite videos of 2020 - that I found via reddit

Post by Katranat » Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:44 pm

Happy New Year everyone!

Around October time I noticed that a large proportion of AMV's I've enjoyed this year I found via reddit, which is unusual. Looking back at 2019 I only had 4 videos I'd saved from reddit, from 2020 it's a total of 22.
Inspired by people who make lists of their top videos from the previous year, I thought it might be fun to share these ones, as the only place I found them promoted was via reddit. Plus a lot of them didn't get very many upvotes, so unless you stalk r/amv like I do everyday, there's a high chance you'll have missed most of these.

This list is a mish mash of many types of videos (my taste in AMV's is rather odd and varied), from editors where this is their first video, all the way to very experienced editors who I'd never come across before. For all of them they are videos that have struck a chord with me in some way and I feel they are worth watching for whatever reason. I hope some videos on this list resonate with you as well and you find something interesting!

They will be listed in the order I found them posted.

Video title: Kizumonogatari【AMV】- Rotoscoping
Editor: igoesRAWR
Anime: Kizumonogatari
Song: Rotoscoping
Artist: PTRD

Comments:
This first video on my list is actually from late 2019. A couple reasons for this! First of all, it’s a quirky and simple Monogatari AMV and I want more people to see it. The best way I can think of to describe it is charming. Second of all, a couple months after I first watched this I checked out the editors YouTube channel to see if they’d made any more AMVs. Sadly the majority of their videos are anime vlogs, which is fair enough. HOWEVER, the editor also made this gem: https://youtu.be/zHPiJ3tQRYY which is really what we’re here for folks, the editor made a live action version of their own AMV! Honestly, watch the AMV and then go watch this, the experience is totally adorable, and I’m awe of their dedication.

Video title: Bungo Stray Dogs - Heroes (Synced-Tempo AMV)
Editor: DHC
Anime: Bungo Stray Dogs
Song: Heroes (We Could Be)
Artist: Alesso

Comments:
The editor calls this “Synced-Tempo” but honestly I’d just call it good internal sync. Which is why I like it, it does achieve some wonderful internal sync which I really appreciate. If you enjoy this, the editor also made a Sword Art Online AMV a couple years ago which is in a similar style.

Video title: GRAVITATION AMV--Walk Away
Editor: The Dead Rat Society
Anime: Gravitation
Song: Walk Away
Artist: Alle Farben feat. James Blunt

Comments:
I have a love hate relationship with this video. There is a lot I really don’t like about, I'd have to describe the editing in this as obnoxious. There's way too much movement, so much that it constantly makes the video smaller than the margins, which is sadly obviously intentional as there is a lurid purple background. There's ridiculous text with the song lyrics. I'm also pretty sure there isn't a single frame in this video where it's the original colour of the anime, for some reason there is a constant green or yellow filter over it.
All that being said, I find this hugely nostalgic simply because it’s Gravitation – for the first two years of my editing life the only anime I had available to edit with was Gravitation so it has a special place in my heart. I also really enjoy the lyric sync and clip selection, and despite the constant movement that annoys me, I do actually like some of the bounciness. So yeah… Somehow I enjoy this despite it having a number of things I normally can't stand in AMV's. I’m pretty sure not many other people will enjoy it though.

Video title: Eren and Mikasa | Linkin Park - Across The Line
Editor: ArcherAMV
Anime: Attack on Titan
Song: Across The Line
Artist: Linkin Park

Comments:
This is a solid AoT AMV by from what I believe is a very inexperienced editor. The focus of the video is honestly what impressed me the most. I like that it only uses season 1 of AoT, so the narrative doesn’t move around too much, it sticks to Eren and Mikasa and their journey through the 1st season. I also don’t watch AoT AMV’s much so I’m not over saturated from seeing too many clips from season 1 so that’s probably another reason why I personally enjoy this.

Video title: [AMV] Gladiator (Mediocre)
Editor: Zimdustry
Anime: Various
Song: Gladiator
Artist: Zayde Wølf

Comments:
This is this editors first AMV. It's edited well throughout and there are some rather inspired parts which keep me hooked (I particularly enjoy the spear throwing compilation which happens from 1.03). It also doesn’t take itself too seriously and mainly seems to exist as a bit of fun editing. A lot of people who make multi anime AMV’s these days make them over dramatic and “hype”, but this is a really nice even keel which I feel makes for good viewing experience.

Video title: 【AMV】TRIGUN ~ COME WITH ME NOW
Editor: SHAYTAN
Anime: Trigun - Badlands Rumble
Song: Come With Me Now
Artist: KONGOS

Comments:
Another first AMV on the list. Though I later found out through chatting with this editor that they have a history of GMV’s so they’re not a complete editing novice. This video has a couple things in it that I normally don’t like in AMV’s but in this video they work - sound clips and text. Both of these are used to provide a sense of comedic timing which is honestly what I find really special about this video. Also it’s Trigun, which I love, and this video reminds me of all the reasons I love Trigun. This editor went on to make more AMV’s this year which are arguably more technically accomplished, but this video is still my favourite of theirs. Something just really “clicks” right with this one for me.

Video title: INTERNET DEATH MACHINE - Cyberchrist
Editor: AaronDictorAudio
Anime: X
Song: Cyberchrist
Artist: Internet Death machine

WARNING - FLASHING IMAGES AND/OR RAPID MOVEMENT IN THIS VIDEO

Comments:
Probably the oddest video on my list. This editor is actually a music artist and this is an AMV they’ve made for their own song. I love that the editor chose to use a side character from X. Normally when people want to make this type of video they would use something like Lain or GITS. However this person chose this character from X so they get points from me for being original. I enjoy almost everything about this video, I love the song and I love the narrative. I don’t enjoy the prevalent use of shaky cam, which I understand why it’s used, but it does get a bit much.

Video title: [AMV] Strange Dreams
Editor: RustiK
Song: Stranger Things C418 Remix
Artist: C418

Comments:
I don’t have much to say about this one other than it’s an awesome floaty dreamy psychedelic AMV. So if that’s your thing you might enjoy. I believe there are some awkward audio cuts but other than that it’s a smooth experience.

Video title: Darker Than Black「AMV」Blackout
Editor: Gintoki バナナ
Anime: Darker Than Black
Song: Blackout
Artist: Solence

Comments:
When I first watched this video I didn’t enjoy it much. I felt with all the speed manipulation it was kind of awkward. After a couple viewings though I grew to appreciate this. Firstly because I love Darker Than Black, and secondly because once I got over the odd motion I actually enjoyed a lot of the sync. This is a revised version of this AMV that the editor has uploaded, I believe they changed it after some feedback.

Video title: Kill La Kill One Punch Man and TTGL [AMV] - All Systems Go [Anime MV]
Editor: HDV
Song: All Systems Go
Artist: Schoolboy & James Egbert

Comments:
This AMV is something else entirely. The only way I can really describe this would be as a passion project. It’s definitely something not many people will enjoy, it’s super long and has some very odd editing choices – which is my kind of thing tbh. Watching this is quite an experience, there are some honestly amazingly synced parts which are absolutely stunning, and then you get other parts where the editor has tried to lip sync for example and it’s not good at all… It almost gives you whiplash with how quickly it goes from good to bad to good (also I have no idea what they were thinking with the Puri Puri Prisoner part). There’s also some repeated scenes here and there, but honestly they go by so quick you don’t really notice.
Overall I personally enjoy it a lot even with the objectively bad parts. I feel the three anime chosen compliment each other well and the love for these sources shines through in the editing. Even though it’s over 7 minutes long it somehow keeps me hooked each time I watch it. This is again a revised version of this video where the editor has changed it slightly after they received some feedback.

Video title: champion [yuri on ice amv]
Editor: nando
Anime: Yuri on Ice
Song: Champion
Artist: Fall Out Boy

Comments:
Out of everything on this list, this is probably my most favourite. I’m surprised I hadn’t come across this editor before as they are quite prolific. After watching this video I did check out their other AMV’s but most of them aren’t really my thing. This one though – this one is special. The way this video is put together is so elegant and effortless, I find it breathtaking. It starts off with a few clips that include sound, but those mostly go away as the video progresses leaving you to just enjoy those wonderful cuts back and forth between the different scenes of the same movements/routines. This video is a feast for the eyes, and I’m not talking about the dudes in tight clothes.

Video title: Baby One More Time - Rei Ayanami (The Marias Cover) | AMV
Editor: John Ros
Anime: Neon Genesis Evangelion
Song: Baby One More Time
Artist: The Marias

Comments:
This deserves a ton more views than it has and should go down in the hall of fame of classic Evangelion AMVs. My only gripe about this one is I honestly don’t know whether the intention of this AMV is to be comedic or creepy, I genuinely can’t tell. Either way its super well made and very disconcerting.

Video title: [AMV] Utena/Anthy - Graveyard
Editor: bewarethejubjub
Anime: Revolutionary Girl Utena
Song: Graveyard
Artist: Halsey

Comments:
This is an absolutely gorgeous Utena video. I’m not sure whether this was posted by the original editor or a fan, because it was posted on reddit several months after the YouTube upload. Regardless I’m grateful as otherwise I would never have come across this one or this editor. Not much else to say about this, the video really speaks for itself.

Video title: Anything Like Me AMV (Old Version)
Editor: machine lifeform
Anime: Serial Experiments Lain & Perfect Blue
Song: Anything Like Me
Artist: Poppy

Comments:
This is an excellent mesh of Lain and Perfect Blue. The creepiness factor is spot on. Some of the editing is a little bit messy but honestly I don’t care.

Video title: [ AMV ] V̶O̶I̶D̶ ̶M̶E̶C̶H̶A̶N̶I̶S̶M̶ | Neon Genesis Evangelion
Editor: SemkA
Anime: Neon Genesis Evangelion (rebuilds)
Song: Into the Void (SWARM remix and Formal One Remix)
Artist: Celldweller

Comments:
Of all the videos on this list, this one makes me question how reddit works the most (though I should really know better than that by now). This video got 2 upvotes.. Only 2!! It’s not particularly original, but of it’s kind it is excellently made and is an awesome experience to watch. I later found out it got 2nd place in the action category at Saboten! 2 upvotes my ass… I really do wonder sometimes.

Video title: ℕ𝕖𝕠𝕟 𝔾𝕣𝕒𝕧𝕖𝕤𝕥𝕠𝕟𝕖𝕤 [𝔸𝕄𝕍]
Editor: OverThrow
Anime: March comes in like a Lion
Song: Neon Gravestones
Artist: Twenty One Pilots

Comments:
This one is super moody and abstract and just all around excellent. This editor has a real talent for putting a video together. Not much else to say!

Video title: Mob Psycho 100 [AMV] Psycho Era
Editor: AMV Prophet
Anime: Mob Pyscho 100
Song: Era (Eptic Remix)
Artist: RL Grime

Comments:
This one wasn’t even posted properly. The editor posted it in the monthly feedback thread. In my opinion it’s an awful lot better than most of the stuff that gets posted normally. It’s a really solid Mob Psycho AMV with lots of well done internal sync which, if you hadn’t guessed already, is one of favourite things. My only criticism is the slide transition at 2.22/2.23 is a bit awkward. Other than that I feel the rest of the video as awesome as it is.

Video title:「 I Want to Eat Your Pancreas AMV」 Echo
Editor: EDoge_
Anime: I Want to Eat Your Pancreas
Song: Echo
Artist: Jason Walker

Comments:
This is a super sweet emotional video which is really well made. I don’t know much about this anime, but I love the song and the editor has chosen the clips and put it together in such a way that it really makes sense even if I haven’t seen the anime

Video title: I'm The Only Me, Right? [Serial Experiments Lain AMV]
Editor: Charlotte's Web of Lies
Anime: Serial Experiments Lain
Song: Brand New
Artist: Daisy

Comments:
This is actually a much older AMV which the editor has had to re-upload to YouTube (it even has an entry here on the Org!). Thankfully they also posted it to reddit at the same time, otherwise I probably would never have found it. This video captures the essence of Lain really well, honestly again this is one that speaks for itself.

Video title: Evangelion X t.A.T.u. — Robot [AMV]
Editor: zvezdopyl
Anime: Neon Genesis Evangelion
Song: Robot
Artist: t.A.T.u

Comments:
This one takes me back to a time when there were loads of Evangelion AMV’s set to various “remixes” of Rammstein/t.A.T.u songs (like this: https://youtu.be/5AkSTdJLAx0). Ah those were the days. Seeing a new Evangelion video set to t.A.T.u makes me super happy, and I enjoy this video a lot because of that. It doesn’t hurt that it’s well edited, and it feels like a bit of fresh air when it comes to Evangelion videos these days.

Video title: Flying Without Hindrance AMV [ヨルシカ – 飛行]
Editor: The Editor AMVs
Anime: The Wind Rises
Song: 飛行
Artist: ヨルシカ

Comments:
This is a short and sweet video. It perfectly captures a carefree and playful mood. I wish it were longer but according to the editor the song is genuinely only that long.

Video title: AMV – FINALLY
Editor: Stormey
Song: Finally
Artist: Mikkas & Amba Shepherd

Comments:
This is the type of thing I normally enjoy but only watch once or twice. This one has held my attention somehow, I think possibly because of the way they've used the sounds in the song with the clips.

We've got to the end! That's all 22 videos I found via reddit last year, hope you enjoyed!

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Re: My favourite videos of 2020 - that I found via reddit

Post by Zarxrax » Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:11 pm

Didn't watch them all, but some of these were pretty cool. I think its interesting how many videos still use the same anime that were popular 20 years ago like Evangelion, Lain, Perfect Blue, Utena...

Also, I really hate this trend of people putting sound effects in their videos.

Katranat
Org Profile

Post by Katranat » Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:48 pm

Zarxrax wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:11 pm
Didn't watch them all, but some of these were pretty cool. I think its interesting how many videos still use the same anime that were popular 20 years ago like Evangelion, Lain, Perfect Blue, Utena...
That's partially due to my own preferences when watching AMVs. However there does seem to be a big resurgence of nostalgia which also might explain why there's been a lot of AMV's with classic anime recently.
Also, I really hate this trend of people putting sound effects in their videos.
Yeah, this is getting harder and harder to avoid. Sometimes it can be good, but usually only when used in certain ways. Sadly people seem to think it's a lot cooler than it actually is

seasons
Org Profile

Post by seasons » Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:02 pm

Katranat wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:44 pm
Video title: Kizumonogatari【AMV】- Rotoscoping
Editor: igoesRAWR
Anime: Kizumonogatari
Song: Rotoscoping
Artist: PTRD

Comments:
This first video on my list is actually from late 2019. A couple reasons for this! First of all, it’s a quirky and simple Monogatari AMV and I want more people to see it. The best way I can think of to describe it is charming. Second of all, a couple months after I first watched this I checked out the editors YouTube channel to see if they’d made any more AMVs. Sadly the majority of their videos are anime vlogs, which is fair enough. HOWEVER, the editor also made this gem: https://youtu.be/zHPiJ3tQRYY which is really what we’re here for folks, the editor made a live action version of their own AMV! Honestly, watch the AMV and then go watch this, the experience is totally adorable, and I’m awe of their dedication.
I will watch the rest of these later but THIS IS INCREDIBLE

sharktoothgoosie
Org Profile

Post by sharktoothgoosie » Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:46 am

Thank you for doing this! I appreciate finding more editors that aren't "highlighted". There's so much content out there. There are some really great AMV's on this list too.

Katranat
Org Profile

Post by Katranat » Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:57 pm

Katranat wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:44 pm

Video title: INTERNET DEATH MACHINE - Cyberchrist
Editor: AaronDictorAudio
Anime: X
Song: Cyberchrist
Artist: Internet Death machine

Comments:
Probably the oddest video on my list. This editor is actually a music artist and this is an AMV they’ve made for their own song. I love that the editor chose to use a side character from X. Normally when people want to make this type of video they would use something like Lain or GITS. However this person chose this character from X so they get points from me for being original. I enjoy almost everything about this video, I love the song and I love the narrative. I don’t enjoy the prevalent use of shaky cam, which I understand why it’s used, but it does get a bit much.

Alternate link for Cyberchrist as it was removed and reuploaded:

Return to “General AMV”