Do you remember the first AMV you ever watched?

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
the Black Monarch
Org Profile

Re: Do you remember the first AMV you ever watched?

Post by the Black Monarch » Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:52 am

I remember my first two, both set to "Larger than Life" by the Backstreet Boys (for which I was trying to find the official music video). One used clips from Evangelion, the other used clips from Cowboy Bebop. That was how I became an Evangelion fan. I was probably using Limewire at the time.
ngsilver wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 6:10 am
It was a Sailor Moon video. I saw it by downloading it from a random Sailor Moon fan site back in the day that I fell onto through the turnpike. We're talking 95/96 here.
Holy shit. AMVs were on the Internet BEFORE file-sharing networks existed? What foul sorcery is this?
Ask me about my secret stash of videos that can't be found anywhere anymore.

Makoto Academy (HR)
Org Profile

Post by Makoto Academy (HR) » Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:44 pm

Kireblue wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:38 am
It's really hard for me to remember what was the first AMV I watched, but the toonami promos that aired on Cartoon Network in 2005 were some of the first videos that stuck with me in terms of content that combined anime footage with music. I don't think that I started editing because of them, but they definitely got me excited about what you could do with video editing.
I remember those - sort of. I was really young at the time but my dad describes the building excitement in the whole family before Naruto premiered with all the promos and trailers. I remember some of the tail end ones in a little bit of detail though.

This was probably the first AMV type thing I watched. When Death Note was airing, my sister looked online for more of the story and that was how she discovered fan fiction (which she would go on to write and read often) and AMVs. Actually, my sister introduced me to a lot of the AMVs early on that would be foundational in shaping how I thought of AMVs. These included Life is Beautiful, This is Halloween, the aforementioned Beyond Birthday one, Shattered Memories Studio's Up in the Air, and Uninstall - Madoka. It would take a while for me to eventually start seeking out AMVs wholly on my own, even though each one she showed me had a huge impact on me and I deeply loved and would watch again and again.

x_rex30
Org Profile

Post by x_rex30 » Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:57 pm

I was fascinated waay before amvs about video editing to make a music video. I had vhs tapes I made Full of music videos I recorded from MTV. The first non fan made amv I saw was a Manga Video Trailer/Promotion... and the different editing styles in it made me interested in anime editing. ADV "Do it now" ads also gave me a need to edit something on my own... but I was already pumped to do so after I saw the Manga video.

seasons
Org Profile

Post by seasons » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:04 pm

I love that Manga Video Trailer. KMFDM had soooooo much appeal to anime fans back in the late 90s. I wasn't quite "into" anime yet at the time but there was something about their music and aesthetic that, in hindsight, seemed like a doorway into dark and foreign and weird stuff. I would poke my head in but was never brave enough to step through it.

If you like that Manga Video Trailer but wish it was 700% more lame, check this out.

Kokoro Hane
Org Profile

Post by Kokoro Hane » Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:04 am

I honestly wish I remembered the first AMV I watched. I've watched so many AMVs.... but it most likely was something Cardcaptor Sakura or Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle related. One of the earliest AMVs I recall watching all the time (back when YT had the glorious HQ button--which meant you could watch in 480p! lol) was all Tsubasa clips, up to the (at the time) unreleased Tokyo Revelations OVA, using a song from the anime's OST "ship of fools" by Yuki Kajiura. I sadly do not think that AMV is online anymore, as I have tried searching but could never find it. Either way, it was an AMV still burned in my mind and would probably remain fairly fond of I were to see it again.

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:29 am

Honestly, no.

The first AMV I remember that I remember, if that makes sense, is C-Ko's Fields of Gold. Date on it is May 14, 1994, but there is no way I saw it that early. I would probably have seen it a few years later. Probably more like 1996 or 1997.

I feel like I should add a bit more context. I got internet access in 96, and I was able to find a few anime music videos online then. Of those, I think Fields of Gold was one of the first, but probably not the actual first.

I believe 1998 was my first anime convention... Whatever year it was that A-Kon had the Big Black Out, and I remember watching whatever was in the anime music video contest there. Definitely some Caldwell. That year for my birthday I got Ulead MediaStudio and a Sony Vaio with the full Trinitron and TV capture card set up, so I could start working on my own AMVs. So I went from only having three or four of the things in 1996 to dozens and more very rapidly after 1998.

I just watched Fields of Gold, the original .mpg. On my 4K monitor it is so small it's smaller than the size of a postage stamp. My God.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

ngsilver
The Old School Otaku
Org Profile

Post by ngsilver » Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:30 am

ngsilver wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 6:10 am
It was because of those first few videos that I made a tribute video in the form of
Just an update on this. While I have been looking through my archive, partially due to a video idea I have, I found one of these videos! By happenstance the video was sent to Otakon back in 96. I found it in my mirror of the contest archive from that contest including a rather high quality rip as well separately in the archive. I was rather surprised.
It's no where online anymore. This was long before Youtube and other video sharing sites and the sites these videos were hosted on went the way of the dodo long before the wayback machine started archiving.

Kinda a cool find :D
ImageImageImageImage

ngsilver
The Old School Otaku
Org Profile

Post by ngsilver » Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:52 am

ngsilver wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:30 am
Kinda a cool find :D
Not sure how long I will leave these up, but I threw up the original as well as a side-by-side I felt I needed to make just to see how close I came to the original despite only being able to remember it, but not see it.

ImageImageImageImage

ItzAgo
Org Profile

Post by ItzAgo » Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:02 pm

You never forget first times :asd: The first one I saw was an AMV based on the first of the 3 Broly movies of Dragon Ball Z, while the music was Numb of the Linkin Park. That one used to hype me up so muchhhhh :asd: And I remember I saw it at school with some friends 'cause I still didn't have internet connection at home :awesome:

green light
Org Profile

Post by green light » Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:36 pm

Aw man, I don't remember the very first one or how I got my paws on it or heard of the concept but I do remember staying up late to download AMVs and check if they were done on kazaa before I left for middle school in the morning. I remember loving the NGE Engel AMV, which I only recently learned was Caldwell, and then I don't know who did them but an Oh! My Goddess AMV for the song Heaven by Warrant, and a Magic Knights Rayearth AMV to Dreams by The Cranberries were huge for me. I got ~too cool for anime~ but I remember watching like, DNAngel in like 2007 or 2008 and my sister and I would spend an unreasonable amount of time watching Cascada "Every time We Touch" AMVs to whatever anime we remembered from YTV and exiting out if they didn't hit the drop right. 8-)

Return to “General AMV”