Do you remember the first AMV you ever watched?

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
Zarxrax
Org Profile

Do you remember the first AMV you ever watched?

Post by Zarxrax » Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:27 am

For me, I guess it must have been early 2001. I was always on IRC, abusing my university's high speed network to download and archive as much anime as possible, as if it might suddenly cease to exist.

Then one day I came across a file on someone's FTP server that was related to Kodomo no Omocha, which I had recently started watching. It wasn't a normal episode of the show. I decided to give it a download and check it out. I had unwittingly downloaded "Caffeine Encomium". After watching it, I was filled with both joy and confusion.

And then the gears in my head started turning:

"This is weird. This doesn't seem like an official video made by the anime company."
"Who is this "Kevin Caldwell" in the filename?
"Wait, was this video just made by... some random guy?"
"Does that mean its... possible... for random guys to make something like this? It doesn't take a huge company with millions of dollars worth of equipment?"
"Can I make something like this?"

My only frame of reference for video editing at that time was VirtualDub, so I was trying to work out the logistics of creating something like Caffeine Encomium within VirtualDub. It seemed hopelessly impossible. I started asking around about these AMVs on IRC, and I was able to find a few more of them, and then I found the Hawaii FTP server, and someone told me about Adobe Premiere. And that was that...

Katranat
Org Profile

Re: Do you remember the first AMV you ever watched?

Post by Katranat » Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:50 am

Absolutely! First AMV's are such a memorable experience in my opinion.

Technically what I consider the first AMV I watched was actually a GMV, this was also back in 2001 when my older sister would download anything that was interesting from Napster. We somehow managed to get "In the End" by Atomx (Brad), despite not really being Final Fantasy fans, nor had we yet heard of Linkin Park.
The first AMV I saw that was actually an AMV was "Dragula" by grayplague - though for a about a year or so we only had the first 48 seconds, the download always failed after that point :P

seasons
Org Profile

Post by seasons » Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:52 am

I really don't remember what it was anymore for sure. It was definitely on this site but this was pre-YouTube, pre-Golden Donut (I still don't really understand what the "donut" is or why it was called that, was this just the Org's ability to host videos on its own?), and I was NOT FTP-savvy so I really don't know how I was able to download anything at all back then (this was in mid-2002). I did get in touch with an editor here who set up some means to funnel a bunch of files to me via AOL instant messenger (I think?) but that was kind of a one-time deal. Beyond that, I don't remember how I actually watched anything at all before 2005 or so.

ngsilver
The Old School Otaku
Org Profile

Post by ngsilver » Thu Nov 05, 2020 6:10 am

I can't say I exactly remember the first AMV I watched. Or at least, which one specifically it was. Most likely it has been lost in the sea of fan made websites that disappeared when geocities went down.

It was a Sailor Moon video. I saw it by downloading it from a random Sailor Moon fan site back in the day that I fell onto through the turnpike. We're talking 95/96 here. There was a collection of these videos I downloaded. No clue if they were actually credited on the site at all, but I doubt the videos even had MTV style credits on them. They were very simple videos. Basically taking 'She's got the Power' from the US OST and putting it to various attack animations across the series, or one of the other main tracks and putting it to transformation sequences. Nothing fancy, but it made an impression and from that time I've always loved finding fan made videos of all kinds. It wasn't till a bit later, trolling Morpheus first, then Kazaa, that I found the name AMV from searching for music and downloading these videos. People like Jessmaster, AtomX, Caldwell, Vlad, ect. Wanted to join in and make theses things too, but I lacked any good way to capture footage at the time. Wasn't until I went to college and got a TV tuner card for my PC that I gained the ability to capture footage. At the time I didn't even think about borrowing one of the many VCRs in the house to try to make my own that way.

It was because of those first few videos that I made a tribute video in the form of
ImageImageImageImage

CrackTheSky
has trust issues
Org Profile

Post by CrackTheSky » Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:49 am

I very vividly remember the first AMV I saw -- or one of the first. My friend showed me a bunch one day when I was at his house while I was in high school, but this is the one I'm pretty sure was the first one he played:

Wasn't even really a huge fan of Metallica but I saw this and a few others and went home and started making my own. The rest is history.

TnAdct1
Org Profile

Post by TnAdct1 » Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:29 pm

It was around 2000. One of the members of the anime club I had just joined had brought his laptop to a meeting, and during one of the breaks, he was playing Maboroshi's "Sweating Bullets" video on it.

Ileia
WHAT IS PINK MAY NEVER DIE!
Org Profile

Post by Ileia » Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:23 pm

Yup. 2002, my high school friend made a Final Fantasy X video with Disturbed's "Prayer". She never uploaded it anywhere, she didn't have any other AMVs by other people, she just thought it would be cool to put the two together. And so it was.
:cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake:

vivafruit
Org Profile

Post by vivafruit » Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:33 pm

I'm pretty sure it was this one all the way back in high school. Left a huge impression on me and hooked me instantly.

lloyd9988
Org Profile

Post by lloyd9988 » Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:33 pm

Ileia and Kitsuner's: Blame it on 2009: A Good Good Year..

Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Post by Kireblue » Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:38 am

It's really hard for me to remember what was the first AMV I watched, but the toonami promos that aired on Cartoon Network in 2005 were some of the first videos that stuck with me in terms of content that combined anime footage with music. I don't think that I started editing because of them, but they definitely got me excited about what you could do with video editing.

Apparently, this was the first AMV I've downloaded from the org though. I can't believe that even after 13 years, I still remember so many of the cuts and scene selection for it :asd:

Return to “General AMV”