MONETIZATION + YOUTUBE QUESTION. HELP!!!!

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
Silent Hero Studios
Org Profile

MONETIZATION + YOUTUBE QUESTION. HELP!!!!

Post by Silent Hero Studios » Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:10 pm

I'm posting this to ask for help on how most AMV editors post their videos onto YouTube w/out copyright issues. My AMV, "Avatar State of Mind", is apparently partially blocked in the US, and the song I used was "Send Them Off!" by Bastille. For some damn reason, my video gets blocked, while others who've used the song (Tigrin - "Just 5 Yen" AMV) still have theirs up online.

If there's anybody out there reading, I would just like to know why and what I can do to prevent this from happening again.

S.O.S. :cry:
Silent. Heroic. But never both.

CrackTheSky
has trust issues
Org Profile

Re: MONETIZATION + YOUTUBE QUESTION. HELP!!!!

Post by CrackTheSky » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:19 pm

Don't monetize. Problem solved. It's scummy to monetize AMVs anyway as you didn't create either the music or the animation.

Tigrin
Org Profile

Post by Tigrin » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:35 pm

I don't monetize videos and you probably shouldn't. This is what my "Just 5 Yen" video looks like in the copyright details: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1dP2Pg ... y61__z0sQi

What I typically do before I even start working on a project is search for the song on YouTube and see if others are using it without issue. I also check their copyright database: https://www.youtube.com/music_policies?nv=1 As a last resort I'll also put together a blank video with the song on it and upload it privately to see what it triggers from the YouTube copyright. I'm fine with the music companies putting ads on the video, they're welcome to it, I just want to avoid situations where the video is blocked in various regions.

It's hit or miss, though. Like, basically any Panic! at the Disco song is listed as blocked in 245 countries under YouTube policy... but you see people upload their AMVs with Panic! at the Disco songs. Similarly, years ago I was using a Paramore song in a video that was blocked everywhere... years later I was able to upload the video without a problem, even though the song is still listed as blocked. :shrug:

Silent Hero Studios
Org Profile

Post by Silent Hero Studios » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:04 pm

Tigrin wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:35 pm
I don't monetize videos and you probably shouldn't. This is what my "Just 5 Yen" video looks like in the copyright details: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1dP2Pg ... y61__z0sQi

What I typically do before I even start working on a project is search for the song on YouTube and see if others are using it without issue. I also check their copyright database: https://www.youtube.com/music_policies?nv=1 As a last resort I'll also put together a blank video with the song on it and upload it privately to see what it triggers from the YouTube copyright. I'm fine with the music companies putting ads on the video, they're welcome to it, I just want to avoid situations where the video is blocked in various regions.

It's hit or miss, though. Like, basically any Panic! at the Disco song is listed as blocked in 245 countries under YouTube policy... but you see people upload their AMVs with Panic! at the Disco songs. Similarly, years ago I was using a Paramore song in a video that was blocked everywhere... years later I was able to upload the video without a problem, even though the song is still listed as blocked. :shrug:
Thx for letting me know. But do you know if it's the same case for "Send Them Off"? What should I do? Just take it down and re-upload, or something?

Cneq
Org Profile

Post by Cneq » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:55 am

Did you monetize it? Number rule is to never monetize. Making AMV's is not for those who want fame or money. I haven't had any issues with songs in the past 2 and a half years and I've made roughly 50 AMV's since then and the only one I had taken down was due to animation instead of western music [got taken down due to evangelion movies] and another one because I used an airing anime as it was airing.

Best tips:
Never Monetize
Search up an anime/song you're using to see how many other AMV's are still up
To make sure you won't be instantly blocked just upload a empty video with the song you're using and see if it gets blocked. If it doesn't get blocked within 10 minutes you're good [however manual strikes can happen at any time even for 1 year old AMV's so always keep an eye out]

Sometimes an AMV will always end up blocked globally so the only real way to still have it on youtube is to cut a 30 second section out of it and tell your viewers to watch it on a different platform [like vimeo or on here]

Silent Hero Studios
Org Profile

Post by Silent Hero Studios » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:34 pm

Cneq wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:55 am
Did you monetize it? Number rule is to never monetize. Making AMV's is not for those who want fame or money. I haven't had any issues with songs in the past 2 and a half years and I've made roughly 50 AMV's since then and the only one I had taken down was due to animation instead of western music [got taken down due to evangelion movies] and another one because I used an airing anime as it was airing.

Best tips:
Never Monetize
Search up an anime/song you're using to see how many other AMV's are still up
To make sure you won't be instantly blocked just upload a empty video with the song you're using and see if it gets blocked. If it doesn't get blocked within 10 minutes you're good [however manual strikes can happen at any time even for 1 year old AMV's so always keep an eye out]

Sometimes an AMV will always end up blocked globally so the only real way to still have it on youtube is to cut a 30 second section out of it and tell your viewers to watch it on a different platform [like vimeo or on here]
Should I upload an empty video as 'private' or 'public'?

Ileia
WHAT IS PINK MAY NEVER DIE!
Org Profile

Post by Ileia » Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:44 pm

From your title, I assume it's an Avatar The Last Airbender video? If so, the claim is from Viacom for the video you used, not for the song. I only mention because Viacom recently blocked tons of Avatar videos on Youtube (including mine) in pretty much every country but Canada.
:cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake:

Ileia
Org Profile

Post by Ileia » Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:52 pm

Yeah it looks like that's the case here, it's blocked by Viacom (parent company for Nickelodeon, which produced Avatar). While monetizing is a bit of a no-no for AMVs, in this case that wasn't what got it blocked (I didn't monetize mine) and demonetizing wouldn't resolve it. You can try to dispute the claim on your video or, as others mentioned, try to upload on another site.
:cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake:

Silent Hero Studios
Org Profile

Post by Silent Hero Studios » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:04 pm

Ileia wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:52 pm
Quoted Image converted to link:
https://i.imgur.com/1gBGChG.png

Yeah it looks like that's the case here, it's blocked by Viacom (parent company for Nickelodeon, which produced Avatar). While monetizing is a bit of a no-no for AMVs, in this case that wasn't what got it blocked (I didn't monetize mine) and demonetizing wouldn't resolve it. You can try to dispute the claim on your video or, as others mentioned, try to upload on another site.
Thx 4 this! Really, I mean it! :D
But I gotta ask, I was able to still watch you Avatar AMV online. I know for a while your channel was down on Youtube, but did you do something to make your videos viewable again?

Ileia
Org Profile

Post by Ileia » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:32 pm

I was going back and forth trying to dispute the claim on the Avatar video, but right now it says it's still blocked in most countries. I guess it depends on where you live (or if you're using a VPN), but it's blocked for me.

Return to “General AMV”