What does GPT-2 text prediction think about AMVs?

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

What does GPT-2 text prediction think about AMVs?

Post by Scintilla » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:14 pm

It was today that I came across a fairly new website called http://www.TalkToTransformer.com, which basically provides the general public with a user-friendly way to play around with OpenAI's GPT-2 language model (see here for the original announcement of this scarily good model). I randomly decided I'd have some fun playing around with it today, and I gave it this prompt:
Scintilla wrote:In the past 20 years, the rise of widespread broadband internet access and the consequent rise of streaming platforms such as YouTube has fundamentally changed how anime music videos (AMVs) are viewed and shared. The community, too, is far more decentralized than in the past. But these are not the only significant ways the art of AMVs has evolved in our time.
For example,[...]
It didn't take many tries to get impressive results. Here's one example:
GPT-2 wrote:For example, a few decades ago, if a show took an AMV too far in any genre the entire community erupted in angry mobbing. In that sense, if someone made a great and well-produced video for any genre, he was almost assured of being voted into the Hall of Fame by fellow fans and of being the subject of a lot of criticism from within it. That's no longer the case. AMVs still have no such guarantees.

And in contrast, it's been decades for a show to go from obscurity into legendary status by simply being viewed on YouTube or streamed live anywhere online. The only other time this happened was the time when the show itself began to gain notoriety online before its official broadcast date had even passed. Even at that point, it still took years to reach the highest levels of popularity online.

So what really is the value of an AMV?
There must be a way to determine the value of an AMV, because it [truncated]
And another (emphasis mine):
GPT-2 wrote:For example, in 2008, a website, AnimeArtistry.com, was created to provide information over the internet for making AMVs. Since its launch, an even larger community has formed, creating, among others, the online anime community anime, anime music, anime films (and perhaps TV series), anime voice actor, and anime blog. (See illustration above.)

The rise of streaming platforms like Google Play Music is only the most recent proof that community-building is possible online, at least as long as the people involved have a dedicated, dedicated audience.

To sum this up briefly, AMVs have evolved from being simply an art form – a niche genre of anime film or television anime art that didn't receive much coverage in mainstream media – into a thriving field (among the most popular) of social media-based art forms that offer a variety of forms within which to share your music.
(It seems that animeartistry.com did exist at one point, but archive.org's only cache of it is from 2018, not 2008, and it's just a blank space baby... and the current site just shows as "domain for sale".)

And I'm only including this one for laughs:
GPT-2 wrote:For example, with AMVs, artists often get paid only for their works or, on occasion, only for their tracks to debut (though this does not always happen). For some, that's a problem. While many people may find the pay-for-play idea appealing — I do — many artists find the prospect of making thousands of dollars a month frustrating. For some music fans, this may be a temporary, but real problem. For others, the worry is that the practice risks eroding their love for their favorite artists. With a growing community of online platforms that cater to this new audience, it's a difficult sell.

So why am I talking about an art form that has emerged as part of the media's cultural DNA? Is it because it is becoming a cultural phenomenon, or, instead, because it is a means of sharing culture (and even of becoming part of those cultures)? What I mean to say is: why am I writing this essay?
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Re: What does GPT-2 text prediction think about AMVs?

Post by Kionon » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:19 pm

That's creepy. If I saw this written on a forum, it would definitely pass my personal Turing test.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

Return to “General AMV”