How often do you enter AMV contests?

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
TnAdct1
Org Profile

Re: How often do you enter AMV contests?

Post by TnAdct1 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:13 am

Scintilla wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:39 pm

This right here is why I'm thankful to Vic for typically having Otakon's anti-troll rule exempt AnimeNEXT, and this year with Otakon being in July (that is, earlier than usual) it will probably be the case again. :D
Especially given how there's no Anime Mid-Atlantic this year.

Dragonrider1227
Org Profile

Post by Dragonrider1227 » Fri May 10, 2019 11:05 pm

When I first got into AMV contests, it was mainly for anime Boston. The one anime convention I regularly go to and it was less about competing and more about representing my favorite anime and its fandom since no one else had ever sent a video of it to the con in the eight years I had got before. (Astro Boy) but then got the idea of sending them to nearly every contest I could find for the same reason. But lately I don't know if it's because if I'm worrying I've done as good as I can and am starting to fall, if i'm not happy with my creations anymore, if it's the anxiety, or that I'm just not a competitive guy, but I haven't been entering in as many as I used to. I've even been questioning if i want to keep entering anime Boston.

The_McLaughlin
Org Profile

Post by The_McLaughlin » Thu May 16, 2019 6:48 pm

I initially just started sending amvs to my local conventions, which at the time was NDK. However now when I finish a video if I think it's a good video I'll usually send it out to a few cons. I usually send to more than one because I only expect to maybe make it into one or two of them at the most. Though here recently I haven't been sending out to many contests. Just my local two NDK and Colorado Anime Fest so far.

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:39 am

Opner wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:34 am
Do you try to submit every AMV you make?
Do you try to enter every Contest you can find?
Or do you limit your submissions and if so why?
Your questions in order:

No, no, yes.

I used to submit to same three or four conventions every year, and I typically only produced a video per year or so. Then I actually won awards in 2012 and 2013, and not only have I not submitted anything since then, I haven't finished any of my own projects (just HD remasters of other people's videos from the 90s/00s). I think when I started editing in the late 90s, the idea of winning an award, not awards plural, mind you, just even a single one, was this motivating factor for me. Once I finally did, any editing I've done has been really for myself and I've not felt any urge at all to submit to conventions. I think I wanted an award (and I ended up winning three) just to prove to myself that I was good enough to do so; I was never competing with others. I was competing with myself. Now that I proved to myself I was good enough, I know I am good enough, and I have no interest in proving it to others.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

Opner
Org Profile

Post by Opner » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:16 pm

Kionon wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:39 am
Now that I proved to myself I was good enough, I know I am good enough, and I have no interest in proving it to others.
That is a very interesting perspective. I think I may be thinking similar as you. I kind of want awards to prove myself that I am good enough in making AMVs. Thanks for the answer!

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:45 pm

Or I could just be burnt out and lazy and too cool to say I've retired because retiring is for losers or something...

</lots of injokes in that response>
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

qyll
Org Profile

Post by qyll » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:26 am

Opner wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:16 pm
Kionon wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:39 am
Now that I proved to myself I was good enough, I know I am good enough, and I have no interest in proving it to others.
That is a very interesting perspective. I think I may be thinking similar as you. I kind of want awards to prove myself that I am good enough in making AMVs. Thanks for the answer!
Make sure you're still enjoying yourself in the process!
zzz

Mol
Strawberry Pie
Org Profile

Post by Mol » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:16 am

1 I guess i don't im not always interested in that.
2 Depends :P i guess do sometimes i send in into a bunch knowing it will probably won't get anywhere
3 Some contest require exclusive entries so yea, tho i guess after it can enter it to some other contests too xd
Still better than that MMO.

Opner
Org Profile

Post by Opner » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:34 pm

qyll wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:26 am
Make sure you're still enjoying yourself in the process!
Of course! It's the most important thing. Also, I absolutely love your videos! Your Animegraphys inspired me so much.

Return to “General AMV”