Do you want anything from the 4TB AMV HDD?

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
SQ
Doesn't have a title
Org Profile

Do you want anything from the 4TB AMV HDD?

Post by SQ » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:44 am

Some years back there was a donation drive with a "prize" of a 4TB harddrive containing all of the videos hosted on the .org at that time. It also included some playlists.

I have this harddrive and I will be formatting it around christmas time 2018. Some people have wanted things from it in the past, so I thought I'd make an "announcement" here if anyone else wanted anything from it.

Please take note that I definitely don't have the space (or internet connection) to make a full backup of the entire thing, so that's not going to happen.

So here's what may be of interest to you:
- Videos that were once on local, but aren't on local anymore (they're on the HDD)
- database
- playlists

You can also PM me instead of posting here if you'd prefer.
StandardQuip
Discord: @standardquip
BentoVid (previously AMV Sashimi) Discord Server

CrackTheSky
has trust issues
Org Profile

Re: Do you want anything from the 4TB AMV HDD?

Post by CrackTheSky » Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:23 pm

Do you know which videos are on the HDD but aren't available on Local? I was under the impression that the Local database hasn't really changed, but I could be wrong. Also, what playlists are on there?

SQ
Doesn't have a title
Org Profile

Post by SQ » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:49 pm

At work currently, but the videos would be the ones uploaded before the infamous fan created disclaimer came to be.
Cannot confirm at the moment about local videos that were requested taken down by the creator or videos later removed due to rule violations like too much gore as i dont have examples to check, but my gut says they'd be on the hdd.

Will get back to you on playlusts, but I know page listed at least some of them in the original donation drive thread if you can dig that up
StandardQuip
Discord: @standardquip
BentoVid (previously AMV Sashimi) Discord Server

DJ_Izumi
Org Profile

Post by DJ_Izumi » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:17 pm

Question: I'm interested in, quite honestly, ALL of this. 4TB afterall is not a lot of data. My server has some 23TB free at the moment. Is there any OTHER way to get a dump of The Org? I got free space, 500mbps of unlimited internet, and a pfSense and NAS box ready to ingest this.

DJ_Izumi
Org Profile

Post by DJ_Izumi » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:36 pm

While you sit here, planning to erase archived data on a drive literally worth no more than $100 USD, we're having this discussion on Discord:

Seriously, why are you even erasing that drive? Drives are CHEAP. I literally bough a 5TB drive on Amazon to be delivered to someone JUST SO THEY COULD SNEAKERNET ME A COPY OF THE LOGH BLURAY IMAGES. I didn't even need to buy a 5TB, a 2TB woulda done the job, but I figured I could shuck the 5TB and add the drive to my server, cause I'm spending this money on a one time purchase just to move data between countries. The cost of hard drives is TRIVIAL.

There is no publicly accessible way to archive the Org, which in it's current state is LANGUISHING in stagnation and obscurity. Some day someone is going to unplug this server and a LOT of history of AMVs, which was core to the 2000's anime fandom, will probably be lost except for scattered copies on CDRs burried in people's attics and a few hoarders drives. So, seriously, can we talk about making COPIES of this content so as it can preserved before it's too late?

DJ_Izumi
Org Profile

Post by DJ_Izumi » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:59 pm

Okay, honest truth here; In recent years I have become increasingly interested in preservation of nerd culture. We've lost lots of fansites, fan art, fanfics since the internet blew up this fandom around 2000. With proper effort however, preservation is something that can be accomplished. I am more than willing to invest my money into preserving things like this. Cold storage of 4TB of data is basically nothing. I have spent more money on a 1/2 scale Gashapon machine for laughs than I have on 4TB HDDs. I'm also more than willing to invest in hosting to allow alternative access to all of that content. To allow any internet user to download their own copies. As well as facilitate the transmission of the data to others who would also seek to preserve and distribute this data.

How do we get this ball rolling?

CrackTheSky
has trust issues
Org Profile

Post by CrackTheSky » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:21 pm

I'm with Izumi on this, but I believe SQ's current Internet situation would prevent him from realistically uploading the entire drive anywhere. For the record though, I too would hate to see this lost. The future death of the .org (whenever that might happen) has been weighing in the back of my mind for years and I'd really like to have a full dump of all the data here myself, if for no other reason than so that I know it's not all lost forever.

DJ_Izumi
Org Profile

Post by DJ_Izumi » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:26 pm

CrackTheSky wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:21 pm
I'm with Izumi on this, but I believe SQ's current Internet situation would prevent him from realistically uploading the entire drive anywhere. For the record though, I too would hate to see this lost. The future death of the .org (whenever that might happen) has been weighing in the back of my mind for years and I'd really like to have a full dump of all the data here myself, if for no other reason than so that I know it's not all lost forever.
But surely, of co-operative, The Org itself could facilitate this. The org afterall has all the data, but it has it caged up in it's own platform where sending bot to scrape it all is a challenge. But that doesn't mean that The Org is incapable of MAKING the data accessible to facilitate a preservation project.

CrackTheSky
has trust issues
Org Profile

Post by CrackTheSky » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:34 pm

DJ_Izumi wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:26 pm
CrackTheSky wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:21 pm
But surely, of co-operative, The Org itself could facilitate this. The org afterall has all the data, but it has it caged up in it's own platform where sending bot to scrape it all is a challenge. But that doesn't mean that The Org is incapable of MAKING the data accessible to facilitate a preservation project.
I would love it if that would happen. And if someone here with the authority/ability to do that is reading this and willing to help, please, post in this thread and let us know. But something tells me this is unlikely, especially given that the reason SQ even has this HDD at all is because he bought it during Phade's fundraiser for new servers several years ago at a hefty pricetag of like $1,000. Such an offer for all the Local videos has never been made before or since, and I doubt it would ever be made freely accessible other than through the .org's membership system.

All the more reason, IMO, that this data should not just be erased like SQ is suggesting. But if he can't easily upload it anywhere, I'm not sure what the solution is.

:shrug:

DJ_Izumi
Org Profile

Post by DJ_Izumi » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:50 pm

CrackTheSky wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:34 pm
I would love it if that would happen. And if someone here with the authority/ability to do that is reading this and willing to help, please, post in this thread and let us know. But something tells me this is unlikely, especially given that the reason SQ even has this HDD at all is because he bought it during Phade's fundraiser for new servers several years ago at a hefty pricetag of like $1,000. Such an offer for all the Local videos has never been made before or since, and I doubt it would ever be made freely accessible other than through the .org's membership system.

All the more reason, IMO, that this data should not just be erased like SQ is suggesting. But if he can't easily upload it anywhere, I'm not sure what the solution is.

:shrug:
As uncomfortable as it may be for various decision makers to accept, The Org is effectively in it's end stages of life. While this stage could be protracted, it is still at that stage, there has been no successful attempts to revive the site and it would require a SIGNIFICANT overhaul in both design and organization to make it attractive and relevant in this modern fandom that is nearly into the 2020's already. In sincerely doubt that the energy and drive to turn this site around exists and even if it did exist, 'uphill battle' would be an understatement. On the other hand, preservation is much easier to accomplish and even should the site return to prominence, nothing but good comes from archival copies accessible elsewhere. Afterall, the Org is not some monolithic entity like YouTube, where even multiple carefully targeted nuclear weapons could not destroy every copy of the data stored within it's global network. Losing the Org by accident is not an unrealistic threat.

More over, we are already in a situation where many AMVs from before Golden Donut are lost, rare, or inaccessible unless you have the right social connections. These files were shared by sneakernet, packed as filler on fansub VHS tapes, spread on P2P networks that are long dead, the locations of this content is highly fragmented and gathering that content again to share would be an extraordinary effort.

In ten years we will probably be telling be telling one of two stories at panels in anime conventions;

1) The story of AMVs and their significance, with many examples to share and distribute to an entirely different generation of fans
2) The story of how we dropped the ball due to apathy and only a tiny fraction of that data is even preserved.

I prefer the first story.

Return to “General AMV”