Compiling a knowledge base of "lost" videos

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
World Domination Studios
Org Profile

Compiling a knowledge base of "lost" videos

Post by World Domination Studios » Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:52 pm

There have been a LOT of videos that got taken down from certain video-hosting sites before certain downloading programs became widely known.

Other videos were successfully downloaded before being taken down, but were then then lost anyway due to hard drive death.

Some videos were only ever available from file-sharing networks and were never centrally hosted. These, too, became permanently unavailable due to a combination of hard drive death and the networks withering away.

Some videos, like the Buffy videos made by 4Paws studios, are lost because copyright-holders went after people who hosted their own videos.

But in every case, I can almost guarantee that there is someone, somewhere, who still has that video. I personally have two of those aforementioned Buffy videos (I used to have all of them, but most were only on a single hard drive that is now dead), a lost episode of Action Figure Therapy that made fun of Kanye West, and some other ancient goodies, and I just got done "reconstructing" the literal video version of Meatloaf's "Anything for Love" (https://vimeo.com/302348355). SOMEONE out there has the Battlestar Galactica music video with Green Day's "Boulevard of Broken Dreams". SOMEONE out there has the Bayformers video with the "Television Rules the Nation / Around the World / Harder Better Faster Stronger" mashup from Daft Punk's "Live 2007" album. These people must be found; they must be encouraged to contact each other and share their archives with each other and with everyone else by whatever means possible. A database of "lost" videos must be built, indicating the lost or found status of each video.

Since these are not all anime, this would be an independent project from what The Org is doing.

Who's with me?

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Re: Compiling a knowledge base of "lost" videos

Post by Kionon » Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:25 am

World Domination Studios wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:52 pm
A database of "lost" videos must be built, indicating the lost or found status of each video.
This sounds a lot like The Vault, which was essentially created to do just that. Although I have no idea who still controls a version of it, if it even exists. I can't recall who last had an active version. Malificus, perhaps?

Myself, GloryQuestor, Nate, and probably a few others have a lot of the videos from The Vault. I have a number of 2001 and earlier videos, but I can only speak to AMVs, not Vidding, because I have never made nor really watched live-action music videos (with extremely rare exceptions, like Prodigi's). I am sure we could manage to splice together another copy of The Vault, but given how much there is to do already, just how much of a need/desire is there to do? And adding LAMVs would further complicate the project.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

CrackTheSky
has trust issues
Org Profile

Post by CrackTheSky » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:43 am

Kionon wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:25 am
This sounds a lot like The Vault, which was essentially created to do just that. Although I have no idea who still controls a version of it, if it even exists. I can't recall who last had an active version. Malificus, perhaps?
That was Minion who used to control it, and then he took it down, however I know that ngsilver had a copy of everything on there as of about four years ago. I don't think it's still around in an accessible format though.

World Domination Studios
Org Profile

Post by World Domination Studios » Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:52 am

What is this... "Vault"?

CrackTheSky
has trust issues
Org Profile

Post by CrackTheSky » Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:05 pm

World Domination Studios wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:52 am
What is this... "Vault"?
It was an archive of AMVs that were not available on the .org or anywhere else -- before the .org, and way before YouTube, there was no centralized place for people to store their videos, so editors had to host videos on their own servers (which were more expensive back then) or distribute them through file-sharing services, so many never made it onto the .org. The Vault was created to share such videos with people back in like 2006 or so, however the owner, Minion, eventually took it down. I know ngsilver had created his own backup but I don't know if either of them still have the ability to share those videos easily.

seasons
Org Profile

Post by seasons » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:00 pm

I have a folder on my computer called "Vault AMVs." It has 44 videos in it. Is this the whole vault or did I just download a part of it?

I remember grabbing this a few years years ago from...wherever it was hosted. Maybe I'd heard that it was about to be taken down, I don't remember.

Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Post by Kireblue » Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:59 pm

bump to unlock

the Black Monarch
Org Profile

Post by the Black Monarch » Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:01 am

Thank you very much, Kireblue!

I'm currently looking for a job. As soon as I get moneys again, I'm going to buy a replacement AC adapter that's compatible with Outhouse, my old 120 GB external hard drive and the very first external HD that I ever owned. It never suffered mechanical failure and should theoretically still work. If so, I'll be able to dig up a LOT of ancient and venerable music videos from the dark ages to share with all of you. Additionally, Scintilla has introduced me to a file-sharing program that has allowed me to get some of those old videos back.
Ask me about my secret stash of videos that can't be found anywhere anymore.

Return to “General AMV”