Song bias? Watch AMVs On Mute.

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
vkamv
Org Profile

Song bias? Watch AMVs On Mute.

Post by vkamv » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:35 pm

I've noticed that I can be influenced a lot by song bias. A lot of the AMVs I watched that I thought were amazing actually had new songs that I liked. After I listened to the song over and over, on my own, and it wore off on me, I'd watch the AMVs again and realize that they didn't look as amazing as they did the first time I watched them and began to notice a lot of visual flaws. Which made question: is the AMV itself I liked or just the song?

I've noticed the same thing with my own AMVs. Which is why I tried watching my AMVs on mute and it gave me a new perspective on them and allowed me to view the visual quality and flow more critically.

Most of us don't make the songs for our AMVs or even edit them. Therefore, just because the song is cool doesn't mean the visuals you assembled for it are.

If you turn off the song, do the visuals convey the story you are trying to tell on their own? Are the transitions between scenes clean and seamless? Is your scene selection even interesting? Is there still an emotional impact without the song? Does the color correction and grading stay consistent and makes sense? These are some of the questions that watching it without sound might help you answer.

Mol
Strawberry Pie
Org Profile

Re: Song bias? Watch AMVs On Mute.

Post by Mol » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:23 am

Well if you enjoy an amv with awfull music then i guess it does something right. Anyway the more amvs one watches the more critic one can get tbh. Pretty much all amvs have one or few issues :P. Question is when you want to stop fixing it without scrapping amv. It's kinda natral that we get skeptic to oversaturated stuff which is kinda common within this hobby. I wouldn't say it's instantly bad tho, but depends i guess.
Still better than that MMO.

vkamv
Org Profile

Post by vkamv » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:48 pm

Mol wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:23 am
Mol wrote:It's kinda natral that we get skeptic to oversaturated stuff which is kinda common within this hobby.
That’s definitely true. I’ve noticed that with some of the more basic edited AMVs I’ve had to watch them several times to truly appreciate what the creator was trying to do and convey to the viewer. Most editors put a lot of care and thought into their work and it’s not always apparent on the first watch.

World Domination Studios
Org Profile

Post by World Domination Studios » Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:20 pm

This is a terrible idea. Proper timing of cuts, and choosing clips that match the lyrics, are like 95% of what makes a music video good. You lose that when you lose the sound. Can you imagine watching Kevin Caldwell's "Engel" without sound? The thing you'd notice the most about it is the bar of capture static at the bottom!

The only worse way to judge a music video would be by closing your eyes and judging it only on the music!

vkamv
Org Profile

Post by vkamv » Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:51 pm

World Domination Studios wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:20 pm
This is a terrible idea. Proper timing of cuts, and choosing clips that match the lyrics, are like 95% of what makes a music video good. You lose that when you lose the sound. Can you imagine watching Kevin Caldwell's "Engel" without sound? The thing you'd notice the most about it is the bar of capture static at the bottom!

The only worse way to judge a music video would be by closing your eyes and judging it only on the music!
True. If it's the only way you watched the video. As my post stated, this could be good method to analyze the visual quality of an AMV by removing the audio influence and allowing you to focus on just the visuals and see if there are any visual defects or inconsistencies you might have missed.

The whole point was that sometimes the quality of the song could make us blind to the visual quality itself. Turn off the music and you might see the AMV and the visuals in a different light.

Obviously judging someone else's AMV as whole without even listening to the sound is silly.

Return to “General AMV”