What are the Most Annoying/ Overused Effects in AMVs?

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
CrackTheSky
has trust issues
Org Profile

Re: What are the Most Annoying/ Overused Effects in AMVs?

Post by CrackTheSky » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:34 pm

vkamv wrote:I don't think it would have the same type of impact without the effects. Some say effects aren't needed, but how can you make an AMV like that without effects? Therefore, when they say effects aren't needed they are in essence saying these type of AMVs aren't needed.
I never said effects aren't needed, I was just answering the question posed by the OP -- the effects used in IG-style AMVs are definitely overused.

Also, personal preference and all -- shaky-camera-Twixtor-abusing-zoom-heavy-monochromatic stuff like what you posted are just not my thing, no matter the length, almost without exception. People are free to like whatever they like, that's fine, but personally I find the style annoying.

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:28 pm

Star Wipe is still overused isn't it? Wait what year is it now?

Yak_NN
Org Profile

Post by Yak_NN » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:31 am

Some of these things seem to never go away!
As for me, the one thing that always bug me is how every second AMV seems to try to add "depth" to the song by putting an "echo" effect on it. It doesn't make it better. It might be good if used on an epic part of the song applied to an epic scene, but apart from that, please leave the poor song as it is...

seasons
Org Profile

Post by seasons » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:27 am

Yak_NN wrote:As for me, the one thing that always bug me is how every second AMV seems to try to add "depth" to the song by putting an "echo" effect on it.
Any examples of this?

PM me if you don’t feel like singling out any AMVs or editors in public.

Yak_NN
Org Profile

Post by Yak_NN » Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:29 pm

I don't have any specific example on hand, but it's definitely something I've heard a couple times and it annoyed me. The main problem is that since I didn't like that, I didn't keep the video in a list neither did I subscribe to the channel! But if I come accross an example, I'll PM you as not to bitch visibly about someone else's work in public.

SQ
Doesn't have a title
Org Profile

Post by SQ » Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:10 pm

There is a certain preset for 3d transitions that many Vegas editors use. It has a few zoom transitions followers by spins and/or swipes.

The people who use this preset rarely, if ever, seem to modify itso it's always the same, in the same order, for every amv. At least that's what it seems like to me anyway.

So figure out what that preset is and abuse it, I guess.
StandardQuip
Discord: @standardquip
BentoVid (previously AMV Sashimi) Discord Server

The_McLaughlin
Org Profile

Post by The_McLaughlin » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:39 pm

One of my biggest pet peeves of AMV's is when people take the lyrics to their song and just slap it in the middle of the frame. No animating the text, just the song lyrics smack dab in the middle of the frame with the default font (usually Arial). It's like people say AMV's that used text well in it saw that the video was popular and then just starting throwing the songs lyrics around because they thought that's what made the video popular. I don't know what anyone else's opinion on this is, but for me I could really enjoy the begging of the AMV and then the lyrics start up and it's ruined for me as the lyrics just are smack dab in the middle of the screen.

I don't mind when it's done well and used to emphasize a certain lyric with a portion of the video, and care is given to the font and animated to look like it was a purposeful addition. However, you could search for any given amv combination on youtube and throw a rock and hit five in a row of videos that just don't change the font, don't try to animate it, and just have it there for the hell of it because its apparently a popular thing to do now. I don't know how over used it is here on the org, I haven't seen it as much here, but for the vast majority on youtube it seems to be overused, and annoyingly implemented into the video.

Return to “General AMV”