Where do you get your music?

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
SQ
Doesn't have a title
Org Profile

Where do you get your music?

Post by SQ » Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:35 pm

Say you really want to do an AMV to a particular anime but you just can't come up with an appropriate song.

I'd like to say my song library is vast, but it's old and I don't really know where to find new music in general.
If you've ever gone out hunting for a song specifically for an AMV, do you have any places you look?

Especially if you're fairly sure what you're looking for is going to be obscure.
StandardQuip
Discord: @standardquip
BentoVid (previously AMV Sashimi) Discord Server

Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Re: Where do you get your music?

Post by Kireblue » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:01 pm

I usually just go to Amazon Music, go to the genre page of what I think I'm looking for, and sroll down the list of songs until I find something that sounds right. I've also been spending a lot of time on soundcloud recently. Once you add a few songs to your liked list, I feel that they're pretty good at suggesting things that relate to your taste in music.

CrackTheSky
has trust issues
Org Profile

Post by CrackTheSky » Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:55 pm

I have Spotify and I'm constantly listening to new stuff at my job. If there's a song I like, I have several different playlists I can put it on, including one for "potential AMV songs". Basically if I hear anything that I have even a vague notion of what I could use it for maybe at some point in the future, it goes on there. Needless to say, over time a lot of those songs come off that list as I forget what idea I ever had for them, but it's a good resource.

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:00 am

I've been trying to figure out where to start with this. I haven't listened to new music since, well, radio. Actual radio. In my car. I relied a lot on AMVs to bring me new music. Truth of the matter is, I probably haven't heard much new music in close to 15 years. I buy songs from iTunes, but I don't listen to Spotify or anything like that.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

CrackTheSky
has trust issues
Org Profile

Post by CrackTheSky » Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:09 am

I use the charts over at RateYourMusic to find top-rated music from specific genres that I know I already like, or from specific years, decades, etc. Spotify also has a built-in "Similar Artists" feature to discover music, and other music discovery tools that I haven't really used. You can also search for stuff on places like Last.fm to find new artists, and there are plenty of others too (I found this via Google, I'm sure there are several more like it).

Mol
Strawberry Pie
Org Profile

Post by Mol » Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:33 am

Usally... youtube looking for random stuff or genre i like.
Still better than that MMO.

seasons
Org Profile

Post by seasons » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:58 am

CrackTheSky wrote:If there's a song I like, I have several different playlists I can put it on, including one for "potential AMV songs". Basically if I hear anything that I have even a vague notion of what I could use it for maybe at some point in the future, it goes on there.
I have a very short playlist like just this on my iPod. If I ever go back to Spotify, I'm sure I could make it ten times longer in no time.

Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Post by Kireblue » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:03 am

I also work at a daycare, and so I'm constantly listening to evey Disney soundtrack known to man. So if im ever out of ideas, I always have a dozen or so Disney amvs already planned out in my head :lol:

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:19 pm

I don't actively seek out new music for AMV purposes, but when it comes to finding new music in general, Pandora isn't bad. Mozilla (with, I think, Ublock Origin) blocks their ads too. And of course, I've been religiously using Audioscrobbler to track my listening habits for 13 years, so their "Recommended Radio" and artist-specific radio stations (with similar artists) have also been very useful to me for finding new music. I just wish they still kept their own tunes and hadn't decided to outsource all the playback to Spotify and Hosatchel (I don't want to sign up for a Spotify account and I don't wish to eat up unnecessary bandwidth and CPU cycles for a music video I don't care about, to say nothing of getting the occasional unwanted live version, thank you very much).
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

seasons
Org Profile

Post by seasons » Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:44 pm

Scintilla wrote:And of course, I've been religiously using Audioscrobbler to track my listening habits for 13 years, so their "Recommended Radio" and artist-specific radio stations (with similar artists) have also been very useful to me for finding new music.
Do you mean Last.fm?

I have also been scrobbling there since 2005. The artist-specific/recommended stations seem to have disappeared several years ago, unless they're still around and I'm not just seeing them.

They killed the simple but beautiful interface of the site and replaced a very poor attempt to look like Facebook or MySpace, they killed the groups and every last feature in the site that made it a home to a lot of little communities (several of which I was a regular part of for years), everything that was great about it was cut off and every time I go to check it, I almost expect to find it shut down. It feels weird that iTunes and Spotify continue to support compatibility for it, like you'd expect that they'd want to kill it simply because it's not theirs.

I still love it, though.

Return to “General AMV”