Where do you get your music?

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Re: Where do you get your music?

Post by Scintilla » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:25 pm

seasons wrote:I have also been scrobbling there since 2005. The artist-specific/recommended stations seem to have disappeared several years ago, unless they're still around and I'm not just seeing them.
I'm still seeing the "Play your mix" and "Play your recommendations" on the right-hand side of my user page, and the "Play similar artists" link on the right-hand side of any given artist page. In both cases they're right above a roughly square banner ad, if that helps.
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

seasons
Org Profile

Post by seasons » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:06 pm

Now I see them.

When I click them I get, "You'll need to connect Last.fm with a Spotify Premium account to play this track in your active Spotify client." There once was a time when the site was actually hosting tons of music itself, which later gave way to YouTube videos (I think, it's hard to believe but I think they really did this for a time) and now this, I guess.

Spotify is going to get me again I just know it.

Cneq
Org Profile

Post by Cneq » Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:27 am

For me personally I usually listen to a bunch of music (just to listen or when actually wanting a song to make a AMV) and I just go "Hey, this song would work great for so and so anime" and go from there.

To actually find a song with an anime already in-mind I'd say listen to some more obscure songs from your favorite artists (ones maybe you overlooked due to not being something you would listen to personally, but for me at least some end up being great for AMV's)

and other than that just listening to similar songs through Spotify or Soundcloud and also checking recommendations for similar artists/songs on Youtube (ones on the side-bar, i've found some really good songs I would've never found otherwise)

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:21 am

seasons wrote:When I click them I get, "You'll need to connect Last.fm with a Spotify Premium account to play this track in your active Spotify client." There once was a time when the site was actually hosting tons of music itself, which later gave way to YouTube videos (I think, it's hard to believe but I think they really did this for a time) and now this, I guess.
Yeah, that's what I was talking about in my original post: you have to choose in settings whether you want Spotify or YouTube as your source. It doesn't host its own music anymore.

What I really miss in all of this? Echo.com. In 2001 this was a website with a slick Flash-based player that let you set up your own radio stations and have others listen in, based on one or more genres and then evolving with the ratings you could give each song and/or artist that played. It was incredibly cool and I've never seen anything like it since.

In 2003, a consortium of six retailers bought Echo and said they were going to negotiate licenses with the record companies to make Echo their own online music sales channel.

And then they proceeded to do NOT A DAMN THING WITH IT.

As the first example I'd ever seen of a "buy it to kill it" move, this was an extremely disillusioning moment for me.
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

seasons
Org Profile

Post by seasons » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:41 pm

Scintilla wrote:Yeah, that's what I was talking about in my original post: you have to choose in settings whether you want Spotify or YouTube as your source. It doesn't host its own music anymore.
I'm learning a lot from this thread.
Scintilla wrote:What I really miss in all of this? Echo.com. In 2001 this was a website with a slick Flash-based player that let you set up your own radio stations and have others listen in, based on one or more genres and then evolving with the ratings you could give each song and/or artist that played. It was incredibly cool and I've never seen anything like it since.
Was this like turntable.fm?

^No idea if anyone remembers this (from only like 5 or 6 years ago, I think) kind of like that thing that almost no one ever used that was set up in the AMVCentral Discord for a while and seems to be gone now. Except it was more fun and handled chat and music at the same time.

seasons
Org Profile

Post by seasons » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:43 pm

I don't want to edit to a song if I've ever heard it in someone else's AMV.

This approach seems to be the complete opposite of no less than 99.5% of people editing stuff made out of anime clips and sound files.

tko03isaneditor
Org Profile

Post by tko03isaneditor » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:25 am

Soundcloud's recommendation list but also through watching other amv's and looking at the name of the artist who made the song. Who knows? You might find something good!
Anirevo Marketing Team 2020

TnAdct1
Org Profile

Post by TnAdct1 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:08 pm

seasons wrote:I don't want to edit to a song if I've ever heard it in someone else's AMV.

This approach seems to be the complete opposite of no less than 99.5% of people editing stuff made out of anime clips and sound files.
Trust me: as an editor, I do get the occasional reluctance to use a song that has already been used in an awesome AMV.

Felicie
Org Profile

Post by Felicie » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:12 am

I just order it online the albums which can not be found in youtube i order it online

minhnt0706
Org Profile

Post by minhnt0706 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:27 pm

I often look for an AMV on Youtube. There are some websites let you download the videos or soundtracks on Youtube.
Big fan of anime music. My favorite anime theme songs are Attack on Titan; One punch man; Tokyo Ghoul...
Visit my blog to share your blog with me: Japanese and Anime song lyrics

Return to “General AMV”