Have you ever bought an anime solely due to an AMV you saw?

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
SQ
Doesn't have a title
Org Profile

Have you ever bought an anime solely due to an AMV you saw?

Post by SQ » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:43 pm

I don't know about you guys, but about 50% of my anime collection comes from AMVs.
It's interesting because a lot of the anime I bought due to said awesome AMV is actually not to my taste. Some of the anime I don't like at all, and wish I hadn't been misled by the AMV!

Conversely, have you ever bought anime strictly to make an AMV with it?
Because the other half of my anime collection is composed of that stuff- "Hey this looks cool, I'd like to edit with it."

So, suffice to say, I've contributed to the anime economy in a not-insignificant way, mostly for anime I don't even like!! :lol:

How about you all?
StandardQuip
Discord: @standardquip
BentoVid (previously AMV Sashimi) Discord Server

Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Re: Have you ever bought an anime solely due to an AMV you saw?

Post by Kireblue » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:21 pm

I've watched a number of shows because of AMVs, but I don't think I've ever bought a show outright just after watching a AMV.

I have purchased a lot of DVDs to have for footage before though. Its funny because ripping a DVD would be my literal last option for obtainig footage now :lol: . Some of the DVDs I've bought are

Zatch Bell volumes 1-12 (which I've actually edited 3 AMVs with 1, 2, 3)
Kanokon (which I used for part of this)
and Noein for this

I specifically remember being at a con and buying a anime that I absolutely hated and telling myself that I'm buying it for the AMV footage, but I can't remember what it is (may have actually been kanokon, but I don't think I actually ended up using those DVDs for anything)

SQ
Doesn't have a title
Org Profile

Post by SQ » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:56 pm

I specifically remember being at a con and buying a anime that I absolutely hated and telling myself that I'm buying it for the AMV footage, but I can't remember what it is
Yep I definitely did this more than once.
I'd list what they were but they're popular so I fear there;d be backlash. :lol:

I will say though that there was one AWA contest some years back with an amazing, I think even award-winning AMV using Texnolygze (or however that anime is spelled). I bought the box set at the con just because of that AMV.
That anime was not at all what I was expecting, or even into. I only ever watched the first episode and then I sold the set.
I'm sure it's a great anime, just not to my taste.
StandardQuip
Discord: @standardquip
BentoVid (previously AMV Sashimi) Discord Server

TnAdct1
Org Profile

Post by TnAdct1 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:27 pm

In terms of buying a series thanks to an AMV: while I wouldn't buy it for another four months (and that was due to me buying the film after seeing it at Neko-con), I did become interested in checking out Utena after watching "Love is Flowers".

In terms of buying something for the purpose of an AMV: I can't really talk about for reasons, but I did pick something up Katsucon this year for that purpose.

Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Post by Kireblue » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:41 pm

I think that I actually do have to credit my possession of vol. 1 of Noir to . The AMV is so much cooler than the show turned out to be :lol: . I dropped it after a few eps, but I probably should try to finish it just for completion sake one of these days.

seasons
Org Profile

Post by seasons » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:41 pm

In the past, I have definitely bought DVDs to use for AMVs. Most of the time I made the decision to make a video using DVD footage that I already had (from DVDs I purchased or received as gifts to, you know, just watch). But there have a been times where I bought something because I knew I was going to eventually use it in an AMV at some point.

The most extravagant/frivolous example of this was ordering Kyōkai no Kanata on Blu-ray just to get the clean opening credits sequence (which I still have not actually used in any project, go figure). Of course, in between pre-ordering and actually getting it, I came across tons of AMVs that use (and sometimes abuse!) these beautiful shots to the point where including them in an AMV now seems like milking an overused source of all its magic, so who knows if I'll ever even use these clips at all.

I recently bought an actual Japanese DVD of a series (which will go unnamed for now) that was never licensed in North America, just so I would have the highest-quality version of the footage that exists (trust me, I've searched across the Internet to get it in other ways, but it's a critically-panned series with practically no fans that's slipped into obscurity, the kind of thing that doesn't leave you with a lot of options). Not even sure I'm going to end up using any of it, much as I really want to so that there's at least one decent or conceptually-original AMV in existence for it.

seasons
Org Profile

Post by seasons » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:43 pm

Kireblue wrote:I dropped it after a few eps, but I probably should try to finish it just for completion sake one of these days.
When you need to scratch that early 2000s itch, this series won't let you down.

seasons
Org Profile

Post by seasons » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:46 pm

Actually addressing the OP, I'm not really sure if I ever actually bought anime because I saw an AMV. But I'd be surprised if I haven't watched something or at least tried it out on Crunchyroll or Hulu (back when they had a LOT of anime to choose from) after seeing it in a video here or on YouTube.

CrackTheSky
has trust issues
Org Profile

Post by CrackTheSky » Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:29 pm

I bought Alien Nine based off of this video (also it was stupidly cheap). This was like 10 years ago and I still haven't watched it, so lesson learned I guess.

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:47 pm

I don't think so. I know a few people in my opinions a long time ago said they saw an anime after seeing my videos, though.
CrackTheSky wrote:I bought Alien Nine based off of this video (also it was stupidly cheap). This was like 10 years ago and I still haven't watched it, so lesson learned I guess.
As soon you said Alien Nine, I knew it had to be Mal's video.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

Return to “General AMV”