Have you ever bought an anime solely due to an AMV you saw?

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Re: Have you ever bought an anime solely due to an AMV you saw?

Post by Kireblue » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:09 pm

also, lets not forget how "" won at Anime Boston 2006 and proceeded to cause the entire dealers room to sell out of Princess Tutu DVDs by the next day. If you ask any random person why they watched Princess Tutu, there's are pretty high chance that they'll say because of that video.

FoxJones
The foxiest!
Org Profile

Post by FoxJones » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:14 am

Have I ever bought an anime solely because I saw an AMV of it? No..
Have I ever watched an anime solely because I saw an AMV of it? Very, very, very often... and if I liked the anime I'm more likely to buy it. So, yes and no, depending how you see it.

I do have bought an anime I just barely liked, because I wanted to make an AMV out of it.

Kirbygal
Org Profile

Post by Kirbygal » Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:24 pm

Kireblue wrote:also, lets not forget how "" won at Anime Boston 2006 and proceeded to cause the entire dealers room to sell out of Princess Tutu DVDs by the next day. If you ask any random person why they watched Princess Tutu, there's are pretty high chance that they'll say because of that video.
It was a mix of this AMV and another one that prompted me to not only buy the DVD but to cosplay Princess Kraehe with an old tutu I had before even watching the show.

The other AMV (I was into Frank Wildhorn musicals at the time):

AMV_4000
Org Profile

Post by AMV_4000 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:25 am

I bought big wars because of this video....

The_McLaughlin
Org Profile

Post by The_McLaughlin » Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:39 pm

I bought Sword Art Online to make an amv I had an idea for. I had never seen the show, but I had saw it in amv's and knew the general plot, and I came across a song I thought would work really well with it. So I bought it for that, overall I just kind of think it's a meh anime. It wasn't terrible but I wouldn't say its in my top few favorite anime's either. As for amv's making want to watch a show I have a bunch that have done that though usually I'll stream the show first before I buy it. My Hero Academia is one that happened that way. A few years ago in amv roulette someone used it and the show seemed to be something that I'd be interested in so I watched and really enjoyed it and then bought it later on. I did buy the first Evangellion because of an amv... that was one I wished I streamed first... as I have an unpopular opinion I found Eva... a bit boring and every time I've tried to watch it I fall asleep. I've seen a lot of really good amvs with it, but I guess that show just isn't my cup of tea... I really did try to like it several times, but I just don't think it's in the cards so it was a bit of a waste of money a bit.

Sonicfreak1111
Org Profile

Post by Sonicfreak1111 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:27 pm

Even though I was already into Bakuman. big time (the manga), I wasn't on the fence about watching the anime.
Untill I saw MagicDarkLight's Not Just A Dream AMV, which pretty much recreated the feeling and emotions I had about the whole setting, characters and story of the manga but now with dynamic animation. So yeah it got me to buy the DVD box at a convention to try it out, which reminds me... that I still have to continue it.

World Domination Studios
Org Profile

Post by World Domination Studios » Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:19 pm

Bought? Hell no. Watched? Yes. In fact, an old Kazaa or Morpheus search for the music video for "Larger than Life" by the Backstreet Boys led me to the Evangelion and Cowboy Bebop videos using that song, which led me to watch Evangelion, which led me to seek more Evangelion music videos, which got me into video editing.

Return to “General AMV”