How to get yourself out of a rut

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
SQ
Doesn't have a title
Org Profile

How to get yourself out of a rut

Post by SQ » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:33 pm

I'm trying to work on this AMV I've had in my mind for over ten years but had never really had the capacity to edit until recently.
I had it all mapped out in my mind originally, but after putting footage to audio, almost none of it will work as intended and I've had to start over and re-think everything.

I've re-edited the song twice (total 3 different song mixes) and re-done the editing style once already (I've now edited half of two entirely different AMVs) but I still really don't like what I am seeing but I'm not quite sure what else to change. I've tried asking for help but it doesn't really seem like others have any good ideas either, or maybe this is just something I need to figure out on my own.

But I am wondering... What do you do in this situation?
I've tried taking time away from it but when I come back to it it's all the same issues and I don't really think of any new ideas.

If an AMV just really isn't working out for you, what options do you try? Or does there come a point where you accept that the video will never happen?
StandardQuip
Discord: @standardquip
BentoVid (previously AMV Sashimi) Discord Server

Mol
Strawberry Pie
Org Profile

Re: How to get yourself out of a rut

Post by Mol » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:45 am

:cyborg: Try diffrent ppl or drop IT (release) i had prj like That in the end i Got too stuck
Still better than that MMO.

seasons
Org Profile

Post by seasons » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:44 pm

Mol wrote:Try diffrent ppl
diffrent ppl?

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:29 pm

Ha, sounds like me. I've got a video that I started on back in 2004. I don't know if I will ever finish it. But, all my files are still hanging around, just in case. I've done lots and lots of planning, but never made much actual progress on it. Things just never seemed to fit right when I would start putting stuff on the timeline. At this point, I've been out of the loop for so long that I don't even know if its acceptable to make a video that is merely DVD quality anymore.

I think there are some videos that just don't work out like we want them to, and that's ok.
Or maybe it just needs another 10 years. Who knows?

seasons
Org Profile

Post by seasons » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:51 pm

Zarxrax wrote:Ha, sounds like me. I've got a video that I started on back in 2004. I don't know if I will ever finish it. But, all my files are still hanging around, just in case. I've done lots and lots of planning, but never made much actual progress on it. Things just never seemed to fit right when I would start putting stuff on the timeline. At this point, I've been out of the loop for so long that I don't even know if its acceptable to make a video that is merely DVD quality anymore
Actually, I really want to see this!

FoxJones
The foxiest!
Org Profile

Post by FoxJones » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:11 am

SQ wrote:But I am wondering... What do you do in this situation?
If I'd be in that situation I'd most likely just think..... fuck it. I'd release it as it is in silence and move on to the next project. Or just dump and delete, but after that much effort that would feel like a waste. I've had to admit in the past that some ideas that felt good at the time just didn't really have the intended potential in them.

Cneq
Org Profile

Post by Cneq » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:04 pm

I map out all of my AMVs in my mind before doing anything and at least half the time the idea I had either would be too drawn out to remain enjoyable for a viewer or just didn't click all together.

Only thing you can really do is start on a new project and forget about it or continue to leave this one and maybe one day it'll just click and work.

seasons
Org Profile

Post by seasons » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:46 pm

Cneq wrote:I map out all of my AMVs in my mind before doing anything
There's got to be a right way and a wrong way of going about this because, like many editors will say, this often doesn't work out as well as one hoped by the time you sit down to actually edit the darn thing.

Toji1996
Org Profile

Post by Toji1996 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:18 pm

seasons wrote:
Cneq wrote:I map out all of my AMVs in my mind before doing anything
There's got to be a right way and a wrong way of going about this because, like many editors will say, this often doesn't work out as well as one hoped by the time you sit down to actually edit the darn thing.
The way I see it is... keep it simple and put more trust in inspiration and feeling than hard thinking and plans. Or better yet, inform your hard thinking and plans with inspiration and feeling.

Dragonrider1227
Org Profile

Post by Dragonrider1227 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:11 am

I’m having similar problems. I come up with an idea, I work on it for a while, I get stuck and frustrated, I move onto another idea, and the cycle continues. Doesn’t help that I’m my own worst critic that overthinks and over worries. Especially when making something for a contest. It’s amazing I get anything done

Return to “General AMV”