How to get yourself out of a rut

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
SQ
Doesn't have a title
Org Profile

Re: How to get yourself out of a rut

Post by SQ » Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:10 pm

wtf, I didn't get any notifications for this thread and only happened upon this now... sorry for the disappearance lol
seasons wrote:
Cneq wrote:I map out all of my AMVs in my mind before doing anything
There's got to be a right way and a wrong way of going about this because, like many editors will say, this often doesn't work out as well as one hoped by the time you sit down to actually edit the darn thing.
In my case, it seems I remember things wrongly. For instance, I had a MEP segment not too long ago where I wanted to use Steins;gate. I had this PERFECT idea, I had all the scenes mapped out in my head... And then when I rewatched the series (and I took notes, mind you!) almost none of the scenes I had mapped out in my head actually existed.

Similar things happen with other video ideas for me. I think that a certain scene has a certain shot in it, or the certain shot lasts for a certain amount of time, but then putting it on the timeline, it won't work for the specific beats.

In my current case - the reason I posted this thread - the scenes I wanted to use didn't exist, but I kept editing anyway, and the "end product" just... isn't that entertaining to watch. Like one of those videos where it seems like the music wasn't a great fit for the anime, you know?
But it is. I don't know if it's a failure on my part to edit the darn thing correctly (other recent videos I've done have been great!) or if something else is going on.

When I thought this thread had no replies, I decided to just go look for other songs and see if one would fit better. I didn't find any, but I did find songs to use for other ideas I had, so I started kinda working on a different project.

I still have all the files for this project, of course. And I REALLY REALLY DO want to release it.
But I don't want to just say "fuck it, this is it" when even I don't think it's all too entertaining to watch at the moment.
StandardQuip
Discord: @standardquip
BentoVid (previously AMV Sashimi) Discord Server

Flannere
Org Profile

Re: How to get yourself out of a rut

Post by Flannere » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:41 am

I've run into this issue a few times with not just AMVs but editing videos in general. I think the key that worked for me is to just put the content out there and see how it fairs with other people. Something you might see as imperfect or not worthy of release could be a gold mine for someone else.

The upside is this is a common problem in arts with people who are very passionate and diligent about their work :)

Return to “General AMV”