Youtube Copyright

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
ForcedLeftHandr
Org Profile

Youtube Copyright

Post by ForcedLeftHandr » Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:06 am

So I'm not new to the copyright issue, but I am new to this forum so I apologize for the awkwardness. I have a question about why some editors get a copyright strike and some don't if they both have the same standard Youtube licence.

Exibit - A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VoFCdWhI7E&t=2s

This is an edit involving Little Witch Academia and Sorairo Days that was posted on youtube and was not blocked due to claims.

Exibit B
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1AICZw ... MVuevRf7b-

This the same type of edit but was blocked due to copyright and could not be viewed by on youtube.

Am I missing something? What is one doing that the other isn't? Both used disclaimer, but one gets the boot? Why?

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Re: Youtube Copyright

Post by Kionon » Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:54 am

ForcedLeftHandr wrote:So I'm not new to the copyright issue, but I am new to this forum so I apologize for the awkwardness. I have a question about why some editors get a copyright strike and some don't if they both have the same standard Youtube licence.

Am I missing something? What is one doing that the other isn't? Both used disclaimer, but one gets the boot? Why?
The link for A is blocked here in Japan on audio grounds, not on video grounds. I presume that each country is different, and that how each copyright holder (audio and video) handles copyright is going to be different. I use YouTube only a little, in part because several of my AMVs would be blocked, especially as it uses anime and I am in Japan. My Ghibli videos, as an example, are always blocked based on video. I include a fair use disclaimer, but unless someone starts setting legal precedent protecting fair use explicitly in court cases internationally, this will always be a possibility on a site like YouTube.

That said, the Org (this website) predates YouTube, and we don't answer for them. However, you can upload your videos here on the Org and you will be able to share the link which includes a streaming preview. It will also allow others to download the video to their own devices. This is a good option if YouTube is refusing to show your video.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:13 am

Kionon wrote:
ForcedLeftHandr wrote:That said, the Org (this website) predates YouTube, and we don't answer for them. However, you can upload your videos here on the Org and you will be able to share the link which includes a streaming preview. It will also allow others to download the video to their own devices. This is a good option if YouTube is refusing to show your video.
The only exceptions are any videos using music by Creed, Evanescence, and/or Seether.
And as long as we all continue NOT contacting record companies about AMVs, those should hopefully remain the only exceptions.
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:16 am

Scintilla wrote: The only exceptions are any videos using music by Creed, Evanescence, and/or Seether.
And as long as we all continue NOT contacting record companies about AMVs, those should hopefully remain the only exceptions.
These videos can still be entered into the catalog, just not uploaded. Case in point:

ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Post by Kireblue » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:11 am

A number of scenarios could have happened. Here are probably the most likely ones

1. Audio bots on youtube may have not have caught onto that one yet, but will randomly hit that video with a content claim someday.

2. The video may have already been hit with a copyright claim, but the uploader disputed it. If someone at youtube doesn't respond to the claim within X number of days, then the video automatically gets reinstated.

yKazari
Org Profile

Post by yKazari » Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:51 pm

I feel your pain, what I would suggest doing is exporting a blank video with the audio as private upload and check to see if it get automatically dinged by Youtube.
Usually you won't get dinged for visual content as long as your clips that are to long. The one time it happened to me they "Tracked by copyright owner" (what ever that means)

I personally just ignore the copyright notices as long its not a strike, if your trying to make money off it then your gonna have to stay away from "popular" music. I would shy away from disputing copyright claims as your going to get youtubes attention and if they decline it you risk a strike, its not worth it.
Yukimi Kazari "Kazari da Editor"
Studio Setup: MacBook Pro 2017 (i7 3.1GHz), HP 32q, CalDigit TS3+, Apple Magic Keyboard/Mouse/Trackpad

ForcedLeftHandr
Org Profile

Post by ForcedLeftHandr » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:54 am

You all are just amazing! Thanks for the insight on everything. This helped me understand better.

Return to “General AMV”