How to keep up motivation when editing?

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
Locked
Nixsua
Joined: Sun May 08, 2011 11:06 am
Org Profile

How to keep up motivation when editing?

Post by Nixsua » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:49 pm

Hello Guys! How do you keep you motivation high when doing intense edits? I am working on a AMV currently and only have 4 seconds but I am fairly happy with them. It took me about 2 weeks of off and on editing to get here and looking at the song being 3:40 it can be a little discouraging thinking of the time frame. What do you guys do?



[YouTube embed fixed - Kionon]

User avatar
TritioAFB
Ambassador of the AMVWorld
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:38 am
Status: Doctor
Location: Honduras
Org Profile

Re: How to keep up motivation when editing?

Post by TritioAFB » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:56 pm

keep going until the end, my new amv will take 3 years to finish even though it looks like I'm gone
Making AMVs by day, Going to Gym by Night
ImageImage

User avatar
Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2001 10:13 pm
Status: Ayukawa MODoka.
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Contact:
Org Profile

Re: How to keep up motivation when editing?

Post by Kionon » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:57 pm

Nixsua wrote:What do you guys do?
Three motivating possibilities.

1) Upcoming contest to which I promised to submit. I haven't used this one in years.

2) Some kind of nagging annoyance. I've been very motivated to do a lot of remasters of videos I really like, my own included, because I now have a 4K monitor and the quality annoys me just watching these videos. Also if I get an idea that just will not go away. Like at all. It just keeps running through my head. Then I edit to make it leave me alone.

3) Lots of Coke with Lime. Two or three years ago, we got it back where I live, but I hadn't had a steady supply before that since like 2006 or something. Coke with Lemon is a poor substitute, and I don't find that energy drinks like red bull or Monster give me the same intensity.

Mostly though, I am just not motivated, and so I am very, very slow to finish and release videos. I pick at them bit by bit over a couple of years until they are done. I used to be able to sit down for days or weeks at a time and finish a video. That hasn't been true in... at least ten years maybe.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

Nixsua
Joined: Sun May 08, 2011 11:06 am
Org Profile

Re: How to keep up motivation when editing?

Post by Nixsua » Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:22 am

Kionon wrote:
Nixsua wrote:What do you guys do?
Three motivating possibilities.

Thank you for you advice! Do you us an editor to give you pointers?

User avatar
Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2001 10:13 pm
Status: Ayukawa MODoka.
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Contact:
Org Profile

Re: How to keep up motivation when editing?

Post by Kionon » Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:27 am

Nixsua wrote:Thank you for you advice! Do you us an editor to give you pointers?
Well, I mean, sometimes I send betas (small clips of a work in progress) to other editors for feedback. I don't know that I "use other editors to give me pointers" per se. I've been editing for a long time and have a distinctive style (mostly associated with the style when I was new editor myself), but I don't know that I seek "pointers." Improvement is never ending, but I think the kind of feedback I get would be more like, "Hmm, I wonder if this part might not be more effective if you did X rather than Y" as opposed to "X is wrong, you should do Y" since these are often stylistic opinions rather than about technical flaws with right or wrong answers.

I think I'm more likely to share betas when I am most motivated, I don't think I tend to share them in order to increase motivation.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

User avatar
Mol
Strawberry Pie
Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:28 am
Status: Star Huntin'
Location: Sweden
Contact:
Org Profile

Re: How to keep up motivation when editing?

Post by Mol » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:36 am

I think it's good idea to not sate your urge to edit too much. Like edit afew here and there, sometimes less sometimes slighty more depending on the urge to edit. Not so easy to balasnce when your fresh i guess :P welll if there is no urge then probably time to move on to next project and let it stay a while cold :P
Still better than that MMO.
Image

User avatar
CrackTheSky
has trust issues
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:01 pm
Status: Maybe editing?
Location: Chicago
Contact:
Org Profile

Re: How to keep up motivation when editing?

Post by CrackTheSky » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:34 am

Editing an AMV is one of the few times I find that I'm able to just keep going on momentum -- so in other words, once I start editing, I find it difficult to stop. Most of my videos are comparatively simple and use few effects, though, and so aren't very tedious or "intense", which may make a difference. That said, I'm working right now on something not-so-simple and I was up late last night, and then couldn't fall asleep for hours because I couldn't stop thinking about what I wanted to do next (I'm dead tired today as a result -_-).

So, probably not very helpful to someone who doesn't operate that way, but in basic terms -- I find that when I start making something, and I really like what I've put together, that often is my motivation to keep going.

That and contest deadlines.

Nixsua
Joined: Sun May 08, 2011 11:06 am
Org Profile

Re: How to keep up motivation when editing?

Post by Nixsua » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:39 am

CrackTheSky wrote:Editing an AMV is one of the few times I find that I'm able to just keep going on momentum -- so in other words, once I start editing, I find it difficult to stop. Most of my videos are comparatively simple and use few effects, though, and so aren't very tedious or "intense", which may make a difference. That said, I'm working right now on something not-so-simple and I was up late last night, and then couldn't fall asleep for hours because I couldn't stop thinking about what I wanted to do next (I'm dead tired today as a result -_-).

So, probably not very helpful to someone who doesn't operate that way, but in basic terms -- I find that when I start making something, and I really like what I've put together, that often is my motivation to keep going.

That and contest deadlines.
Yah my goal is the Anime Expo next year, soo the deadline is not to pressing. Currently I am slowing editing by doing stuff like a few frames a day for masking, the video I posted was about two weeks of work but I am extremely happy with the results. I am trying to pace my self expecting the video to take around 6 months to finish without working hard on it and burning out. If I dont pace my self I usually get around 10-18 seconds done before I lose all interest in editing.

User avatar
CrackTheSky
has trust issues
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:01 pm
Status: Maybe editing?
Location: Chicago
Contact:
Org Profile

Re: How to keep up motivation when editing?

Post by CrackTheSky » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:45 am

Nixsua wrote:Yah my goal is the Anime Expo next year, soo the deadline is not to pressing. Currently I am slowing editing by doing stuff like a few frames a day for masking, the video I posted was about two weeks of work but I am extremely happy with the results. I am trying to pace my self expecting the video to take around 6 months to finish without working hard on it and burning out. If I dont pace my self I usually get around 10-18 seconds done before I lose all interest in editing.
Ugh...reading that gave me anxiety. I hope I never again edit something that takes more than a few weeks, lol. I can't keep up my excitement and interest for that long.

Nixsua
Joined: Sun May 08, 2011 11:06 am
Org Profile

Re: How to keep up motivation when editing?

Post by Nixsua » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:48 am

CrackTheSky wrote:
Nixsua wrote:Yah my goal is the Anime Expo next year, soo the deadline is not to pressing. Currently I am slowing editing by doing stuff like a few frames a day for masking, the video I posted was about two weeks of work but I am extremely happy with the results. I am trying to pace my self expecting the video to take around 6 months to finish without working hard on it and burning out. If I dont pace my self I usually get around 10-18 seconds done before I lose all interest in editing.
Ugh...reading that gave me anxiety. I hope I never again edit something that takes more than a few weeks, lol. I can't keep up my excitement and interest for that long.
I'm super motivated since I have it mapped out in my mind pretty much it's just filling the details and making that is making it tedious.

User avatar
vkamv
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:07 am
Status: Madoka is life.
Org Profile

Re: How to keep up motivation when editing?

Post by vkamv » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:59 pm

Perhaps you can flesh the whole AMV out first by laying out the scenes without effects and then begin focusing on different sections that you know you can tackle right now and be happy with. Personally, on a lot of my AMVs, I finished the rough draft of the whole AMV in a couple days and the rest of the time I'm obsessing about little sections of and trying to get it right. If your stuck at the beginning work on a different section. You might get a creative boost and come back and fix the start. View is as a rough draft first and don't be too critical of your work right now. Save critical analysis for the polishing stage.

Nixsua
Joined: Sun May 08, 2011 11:06 am
Org Profile

Re: How to keep up motivation when editing?

Post by Nixsua » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:01 pm

vkamv wrote:Perhaps you can flesh the whole AMV out first by laying out the scenes without effects and then begin focusing on different sections that you know you can tackle right now and be happy with. Personally, on a lot of my AMVs, I finished the rough draft of the whole AMV in a couple days and the rest of the time I'm obsessing about little sections of and trying to get it right. If your stuck at the beginning work on a different section. You might get a creative boost and come back and fix the start. View is as a rough draft first and don't be too critical of your work right now. Save critical analysis for the polishing stage.
Great advice will do!

Locked

Return to “General AMV”