General discussion of Anime Music Videos
Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Re: Please Clap (For The AMVs)

Post by Kionon » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:03 pm

SQ wrote:Re: mobile friendliness

So I visited the forum today on my phone and it actually IS mobile-friendly?? Is this new or did I just miss it?
So you can strike that whole part from my post. I wish I could edit it (it's relevant for the rest of the site, sure, but not the forum) :laughcry:
When we went up to phpbb 3.1.x we went with the prosilver theme because it was mobile-friendly. We need to explore other themes/theme changes which keep this. Our old theme, subsilver did not scale at all.

You are absolutely right about the database site not scaling at all. I was playing around with it on the train yesterday.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

yKazari
Org Profile

Post by yKazari » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:06 pm

I think that condemning the number to forms is helpful, That being generalize the sections. Video effects and stuff like that can be combined with editing software (even though it's a different can of worms). I am still trying to grasp what all the forms are and where I can post to.

Cleaning up the rules would help to, like the submitting a video and upload is a wall of text and personal I am still sifting trough all of it (mainly read the bullet points and size limits). Maybe using a quick video / screencast ?
Like when you submit a video theres the absolute most important bullet points and a video / slideshow to explain it.

I have trouble reading long bodies of text due to ADHD and I have to use TTS in order to read, but if you put it in a short video its a lot easier to digest. If need be I could do the recording of this and editing so that it gets done.

As for phpBB, ya I could not name a forum that still uses that. Maybe migrate to NodeBB, more modern, mobile friendly, and even has browser notifications built into it. If you google phpBB migrate to NodeBB I know there are a few plugins that can import but thats to be tested. If you need a test VM I can offer up my old Winterchan server that im about to nuke.

Social media is critical, When someone seems AnimeMusicVideos.org on twitter and they retweet there video or release that would really get interactions. Even if they dont know about that site it, the name has authority.
Yukimi Kazari "Kazari da Editor"
Studio Setup: MacBook Pro 2017 (i7 3.1GHz), HP 32q, CalDigit TS3+, Apple Magic Keyboard/Mouse/Trackpad

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:27 pm

Just to be clear, we use phpbb resources to run the entire website, that means the database, user profiles, etc. The database (main site) and the forums aren't separate things. They are actually the same thing. it's why when you are logged into one, you are logged into the other, why stats show up on both in your profiles, etc, etc.

We can't unilaterally abandon phpbb, that would be abandoning everything.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

CrackTheSky
has trust issues
Org Profile

Post by CrackTheSky » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:24 am

I just want to second pretty much everything SQ said. We've been hearing that an .org redesign is "in the works" for...what, like 8 years now? The fact that it's taken that long makes me think that the people working on it probably don't care about it too much, which makes me wonder if I should care either. I get that redesigning a site takes time, especially when it's done on a volunteer basis, but this long? Other sites have been completely overhauled in a fraction of the time; I don't know what the difference is but I find it hard to believe that it's all related to technical matters.

In any case, I do believe that people are working on it, but I honestly don't think that a fresh coat of paint and some enhancements to user-friendliness will do much to revitalize this place. This has to be a massive, all-in undertaking in which the (volunteer) staff are fully dedicated to manning the PR stations and communicating with one another to coordinate a full re-launch. Beyond that, it would take a strong willingness to sustain by making the .org a place that people want to come (and SQ provided many good ideas on how to do that). SQ's ideas and observations are all pretty much on-point. Anything less means that you'll see very little fruit for the years of effort put into redesigning this place.

I don't know how much communication about the .org goes on behind the scenes, between the people who are in charge of the place, but the lack of communication to the users (and I'm not just talking about right now, this has been a problem for years) makes it feel like the staff doesn't really care, and I think that's contributed to the general exodus that has taken place over the last decade.

I will say that I do like the idea of generating discussion on announcement threads and such, Kionon, and I think it's a great first step; but without a concerted effort by staff to follow up consistently, even if (when) it seems pointless, it will only do so much and even the people who are looking for these types of discussions won't stick around.

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:40 am

CrackTheSky wrote:I just want to second pretty much everything SQ said.
Honestly, I agree.
I will say that I do like the idea of generating discussion on announcement threads and such, Kionon, and I think it's a great first step; but without a concerted effort by staff to follow up consistently, even if (when) it seems pointless, it will only do so much and even the people who are looking for these types of discussions won't stick around.
And I agree with this, too.

All I can say is starting right now, look around. We've implemented (and still implementing) perhaps the easiest of SQ's requests: forum merges.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Post by Kireblue » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:09 pm

Thank you everyone that have been posting in this thread over the last few days. I went through read all of the suggestions and tried to do a bit of forum consolidation today. I also removed a lot of the descriptions of forums that are completely self explanatory. Coincidentally, we (the moderator team) actually had a meeting last week where much of this was already discussed. One more change that we plan on making is merging Opinion Exchange and AMV Announcements into a single forum, but we're still deciding exactly how we want to do that. I expact that change to happen withing the next week or so though.

Oh and in terms of the twitter account, I'm actually the person that handles that. During the meeting, we discussed ways to make it more active, and so I expect to be posting more frequently from it within the next few weeks. When I retweeted that reply to Giguk, I did consider making a org thread for it, but I had already been in so many group discussions relating to that video on twitter, facebook, discord, and even in person; that I decided to let that one go. I figured that if anyone wanted to talk about it on the org, someone else would make a thread for it. So instead I just tweet a thank you.

Return to “General AMV”