when was Twixtor first invented/released to the public?

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
seasons
Org Profile

when was Twixtor first invented/released to the public?

Post by seasons » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:06 pm

The first mention of it anywhere in the forums was in a post in the announcements forum in the tread for Nostromo's AMV Auriga. This was in July, 2008.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=89281&p=1149114&hil ... r#p1149114

I can't find any definitive history about the development or release of this program outside of this link, which seems to have a date for various updates to Twixtor.

https://revisionfx.com/products/twixtor ... ase-notes/

These dates go all the way back to 2002. Was Twixtor actually available that long ago? Did it bear any resemblance to the program/plug in that we recognize today, or was this something very different?

Just trying to understand when AMV editors would have first had access to this tool. Was "Auriga" the first AMV that utilized it? Hypothetically speaking, could there have been any Twixtor-aided AMVs before it?

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Re: when was Twixtor first invented/released to the public?

Post by Zarxrax » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:28 pm

I know the technology existed before the Auriga amv, and I had even played around with it, but hadn't found a good use for it at the time. There were other things that were similar to twixter, such as the MVTOOLS plugin for avisynth, which I believe was around since at least 2004.

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Re: when was Twixtor first invented/released to the public?

Post by Zarxrax » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:43 pm

I just happened to remember, prior to twixter, there was a "morphing" technique sometimes used in After Effects. It is essentially the same as what twixter does, but it required manual work to accomplish wheras twixter does it automatically. I saw this technique used in several MADs. I have one on my pc which the file properties date back to 2006, but it was likely around a couple years earlier. This was done with the plugin RE:FLEX - Morph, which was available from at least 2002, according to this: https://revisionfx.com/products/reflex/ ... ase-notes/

Return to “General AMV”