what are the absolute oldest AMVs?

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
seasons
Org Profile

what are the absolute oldest AMVs?

Post by seasons » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:59 am

The first anime music video was created in 1982 by 21-year-old Jim Kaposztas.[1] Kaposztas hooked up two VCRs to each other and edited the most violent scenes from Star Blazers to "All You Need Is Love" by The Beatles to produce a humorous effect.[2]
Are there any well-known/verifiable or actually viewable AMVs from even five years later from this one?

I know there's been a thread about this before but I'd rather not look for it right now.

CrackTheSky
has trust issues
Org Profile

Re: what are the absolute oldest AMVs?

Post by CrackTheSky » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:38 pm

The earliest AMVs I'm aware of after Kaposztas' are this guy's work, which you may already be aware of. There are a few others from the mid-90s that I know of, but you probably already know about most of those too.

Mol
Strawberry Pie
Org Profile

Post by Mol » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:14 am

i think oldest polish amv is from 1999 (?) by john reactor. Think i have copy somehere, but too lazy to search thru dvds ;l

Still better than that MMO.

You Know Who really
Org Profile

Post by You Know Who really » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:42 am

CrackTheSky wrote:The earliest AMVs I'm aware of after Kaposztas' are this guy's work, which you may already be aware of. There are a few others from the mid-90s that I know of, but you probably already know about most of those too.

Thanks ;)

I do remember seeing an AKIRA amv set to Pink Floyd. But that was just the first one I saw that wasn't mine.

GloryQuestor
Moderation Hero
Org Profile

Post by GloryQuestor » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:20 pm

It's tough to know, as AMV can be ambiguous for what qualifies. If you were to say "any anime put to any music", then anime openings and endings are probably the earliest surviving examples (a trend which continues today, with lavish separately-done animation to produced music and previously marketed as "music videos"). If you are talking earliest surviving fan-created AMV, one could argue that 1981's Daicon III Opening Animation could fit that description, as Daicon Films was nothing more than three anime fans creating a custom music video to open the convention. Asides from Daicon III OP, though, "All You Need is Love" is probably the earliest surviving one I know of.
Website Administrator, AnimeMusicVideos.Org
Samurai Warriors Productions
Pittsburgh Japanese Culture Society Events - AMV Department Head
Middle Tennessee Anime Convention - Main Events Operations Manager
Anime Weekend Atlanta - Senior Manager of Programming - Video Art Track

seasons
Org Profile

Post by seasons » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:34 pm

GloryQuestor wrote: If you are talking earliest surviving fan-created AMV, one could argue that 1981's Daicon III Opening Animation could fit that description, as Daicon Films was nothing more than three anime fans creating a custom music video to open the convention. Asides from Daicon III OP, though, "All You Need is Love" is probably the earliest surviving one I know of.
Yeah, I'm definitely just talking about fan-created AMVs, the likes of which we still edit today.

I love Daicon III but I'm talking about fan-created stuff/not original animation.

Curious what came between "All You Need is Love" and Kevin Caldwell (just because Kevin Caldwell's stuff is well-cataloged with precise release dates).

I am really interested in the works of You Know Who but all of his AMVs are generically dated 1990-00-00, so there has never been any way to know when they actually came out. (If you're reading this, You Know Who Really, and you can elaborate on when/where your AMVs were first released, I would love to know).

jingoro's "In My Heart" has a release date listed of 1993-01-01, which feels more like a generic date selected than one that's truly accurate. Actually, the video is described as participating in the 2002 AWA AMV contest, but this may be the remastered/recreated version of the video that's uploaded to the org. "The master copy of this was destroyed in a tornado," he says. And his entry for "I'm Gonna Fly" (also listed as 1993-01-01) says "The masters for this video were destroyed in a tornado in 1997," so maybe the 1993 date is accurate. I just wish I knew when in 1993, and more importantly, where on earth these videos were released/shared/debuted/screened. Like, there had to be some precedent for jingoro to follow, something he'd seen before that would have inspired him to do this. One imagines a fan like him encountering AMVs at a primative early 90s anime/comic convention, or perhaps watching AMVs that were tacked onto the end of some passed-around fansub on VHS (as I've heard they sometimes were, but which ones and when, I don't know). This is all speculation, it's easy to imagine how this stuff probably happened but I'd like to hear it from someone who was actually there or has been in contact with somebody else who was.

bugmucher's "untitled ranma 1/2 edit project" has a release date of 1994-02-11, one of the earliest cataloged videos in the database I can find that actually has a legitimate date attached to it.

RichLather's "Young Punks on Bikes" is dated 1989-12-15, with a remastered copy made in 2003 uploaded to the Org. His Nausicaa AMV, "Nausicaa, the Reluctant Warrior," has a release date of 1990-06-01 (editor's note: "This won "Best Music Video" at ChibiCon waaaaay back in 1991, I think."), and the version that's uploaded to the Org was remastered in 1998. Both of these videos, as they're watchable today, are probably a lot cleaner and better-edited than they originally were when they were first screened. This has got me wondering exactly how many other videos were in this 1991 AMV CONTEST, whatever happened to them over time, and whether or not any other such screenings ever took place before that. This is what gets to me: in a pre-Internet world there had to have been other some way for people to pass around the very idea of making AMVs, and also to organize these kind of contests, but everyone's just like "yeah, that all just happened those were the days lol."

GloryQuestor
Moderation Hero
Org Profile

Post by GloryQuestor » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:37 pm

seasons wrote:Curious what came between "All You Need is Love" and Kevin Caldwell (just because Kevin Caldwell's stuff is well-cataloged with precise release dates).
Quite a many of the Pre-2000 videos still survive, either in AMV Contest Archives or in the Vault (which is no longer available, but not before a bunch of us were able to grab it before the end). Creators whose videos are from the '80 / '90s period between Kaposztas and Caldwell you should look up include, but are not limited to:

- AluminumStudios
- Big Big Truck
- DokiDoki
- Duane Johnson
- KagatoAMV
- Kusoyaro
- Lostboy
- MCWagner
- MisterFurious
- Scott Melzer
- Vlad G Pohnert

There are also some random others compiled in the Org's Proxy account.
Website Administrator, AnimeMusicVideos.Org
Samurai Warriors Productions
Pittsburgh Japanese Culture Society Events - AMV Department Head
Middle Tennessee Anime Convention - Main Events Operations Manager
Anime Weekend Atlanta - Senior Manager of Programming - Video Art Track

CrackTheSky
has trust issues
Org Profile

Post by CrackTheSky » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:19 pm

GloryQuestor wrote:There are also some random others compiled in the Org's Proxy account.
Hardly any of those are available for download though :\

DJ_Izumi
Org Profile

Post by DJ_Izumi » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:46 pm

The problem with finding old, PC digital editing AMVs is that IF archived it's probably on some VHS tape somewhere. There are probably a good number of early AMVs that were edited by fansubbers/tape traders and added as filler in their tapes, but so many of these tapes were ultimately discarded or lost. Even if someone has a pile of fansub tapes and there's AMVs on them, you'd likely have to WATCH every tape because you'd have no way to know what's on it if it's not marked on the label.

I have an Evangelion 25-26 Fansub tape on one of my shelves of anime merch, a rescue from an anime club discarding all it's old material, but as to what is actually ON it I have no idea. I don't even own a VCR and I've never viewed it's contents. It's effectively a 'fandom artifact' at this point. There's for sure THOUSANDS of unwatched/stagnating tapes in basements, storage units, attics and closed across North America that could hold undocumented fandom history at the tail end of them.

In a way, it's one of the core advantages of The Org, anything that was uploaded to it, no matter when, is still accessible and indexed. Though there's a question of what happens if/when the org inevitably shuts down some day.

You Know Who really
Org Profile

Post by You Know Who really » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:42 pm

seasons wrote:
GloryQuestor wrote:

I am really interested in the works of You Know Who but all of his AMVs are generically dated 1990-00-00, so there has never been any way to know when they actually came out. (If you're reading this, You Know Who Really, and you can elaborate on when/where your AMVs were first released, I would love to know).

"
Well I have slept since then and the original vids with the slates are on 1" tape. Good luck finding a 1" machine. When I transferred to beta I took off the slates for some reason.

I am pretty sure I did "hair" in 1990. That was my first AMV. I then did "Dirty Pair-Girls With Guns" . Followed by the AMVs I made for the movies I subtitled. Macross, Time stranger, Be Forever Yamato, Project A-ko.

I will have to investigate further and see If i can find the slates.

Return to “General AMV”