what are the absolute oldest AMVs?

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
You Know Who really
Org Profile

Re: what are the absolute oldest AMVs?

Post by You Know Who really » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:22 pm

OK I found the slate for Dirty pair and it was 4/30/90 so "hair" had to have been done before that. Maybe 89?

spoondiddly
Org Profile

Post by spoondiddly » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:56 pm

As for where people may have seen them prior to the webernet, three of my fansubbed tapes had AMVs on them. They were all thrown in between shows on mixed content ones. There was this absolutely horrible Ranma 1/2 one between that Dragonball one-shot set after Goku died and the final episode of some show I hadn't watched. The other two were AMV-hell-style gag comedy things on sample half-episodes of stuff the fansubbers distributed.

From the AV quality would guess they didn't make them and they were at least 2-3 generation later copies. At any rate, fansub tapes were one way they were passed around. Even early interwebs people passed around CDs and VCDs with them. Aegh...VCDs... There's a standard that couldn't die a quicker death.

seasons
Org Profile

Post by seasons » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:40 pm

spoondiddly wrote:As for where people may have seen them prior to the webernet, three of my fansubbed tapes had AMVs on them.
Really curious just how you've been a member here since 2001, but didn't decide to make any posts until last year?

That's fine, just wondering what your story is.

spoondiddly
Org Profile

Post by spoondiddly » Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:33 am

seasons wrote:Really curious just how you've been a member here since 2001, but didn't decide to make any posts until last year?
Questionable life decisions? Usually just read forums--here and otherwise--and think better of writing anything.
(Only managing to make cancerously bad AMVs that will never see the light of day may have contributed...)

It's neat to hear how analog equipment was used and the creation process. For as lazy as people are about preserving media in general, we're especially lazy about preserving the technical side of creating it in the first place. Hopefully we'll hear from more of the pre-y2k editors about their work and setups.

seasons
Org Profile

Post by seasons » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:57 pm

spoondiddly wrote:(Only managing to make cancerously bad AMVs that will never see the light of day may have contributed...)
I respect people's right to decide to not share their work.

I also regret that editors with a healthy sense of quality control are a LOT less likely to share their work that those who've never given any aspect of their work a second thought before uploading it to the Internet.

Your stuff is probably average, at worst.

seasons
Org Profile

Post by seasons » Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:01 pm

This guy was one of the first 200 members registered here and he didn't release a video until this year.

Apparently it's a remake of someone else's old AMV. Can't figure out what that was, though.

seasons
Org Profile

Post by seasons » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:57 pm

https://www.animemusicvideos.org/member ... ser_id=142

This guy wrote the 2 VCR editing guide but none of his videos are actually available. I want to see how this method actually turned out! Someone has to have these.

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:40 pm

seasons wrote:https://www.animemusicvideos.org/member ... ser_id=142

This guy wrote the 2 VCR editing guide but none of his videos are actually available. I want to see how this method actually turned out! Someone has to have these.
I remember this studio. Unfortunately, I don't have any of these videos in my archive. At least not that I recognise.

My first AWA was 6, I think. I was at 7. I wore my 13 Staff shirt yesterday, incidentally.

Decided to edit this again, to reiterate, I am a pre-y2k editor, though I didn't release anything until 2001. I joined a radio/television broadcasting group in I think 1997, my first year of high school. I got into AMVs at that time due to Quu and Phade and the FFIRC (Fanfiction Internet Relay Chat), which led me to join the AMV Mailing List under... Omar... I think?

From 97-99, I edited (well we edited) on SVHS deck to deck. Most of these were total experiments. Done when we were goofing off and were taped over. Never saved. We also got a play trinity which let us do fancy transitions and do things non-linearly, it was an NLE, but we still heavily relied on decks for input, output, and we couldn't do much of a timeline at a time. It was also like the size of a refrigerator. I also got a Sony VAIO minitower with Win98 on it in 1998. In 1999-2000, we got two Windows 2000 PC with Premiere 5.1c, I got to take a copy home, and I started messing with software NLE. Yet, most of my footage was still captured from VHS or from DVD from an external drive. I had a DVD-ROM, but ripping was in its infancy. Barely worked. Most of the video you see from my first year in the hobby was made from SVHS or VHS source. Just because we switched to "digital" editing in the 1999-2001...2...? period, doesn't mean our captured source was digital. We were mostly taking analog source, or digital changed to analog changed back to digital source for production.

ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

Return to “General AMV”