There was no AMV panel at Anime North 2018

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
DJ_Izumi
Org Profile

There was no AMV panel at Anime North 2018

Post by DJ_Izumi » Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:22 am

I don't meant his as a COMPLAINT but more a realization that AMVs, which were once a core element of the fandom and a major way that people were even exposed to new titles, but they've really fallen THAT hard. Now, AN2018 did have a COMPETITION but there was no obligatory panel about AMV creation. I'm not even sure if this was the first year, I've not paid to much attention to every panel list but I now suspect that no one has done an AMV panel there for at least a few years. It's just weird to think since older 'big' cons usually have their 'traditions' that never die even as the fandom progresses on. Heck, AN has been doing a Trigun themed Donut decorating thing for as long as I can remember.

Really, all I can is 'Wow. There isn't even anyone who WANTED to pitch an AMV panel for the the 3rd or 4th largest con anymore.' o_O

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Re: There was no AMV panel at Anime North 2018

Post by Scintilla » Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:54 pm

DJ_Izumi wrote:Really, all I can is 'Wow. There isn't even anyone who WANTED to pitch an AMV panel for the the 3rd or 4th largest con anymore.' o_O
Or maybe there was but the panel staff didn't accept their pitch?

Cosplay Joe's AMV Hour last year was the only non-staff-run AMV panel I can remember at AnimeNEXT in basically ever, and from the description, that seemed more like a one-person "editor spotlight" than a general AMV panel. (Logistical concerns unfortunately prevented me from attending.) I want to expand the AMV programming to fill a dedicated room next year, but one of my biggest concerns is figuring out how to attract panelists that aren't staff, like (say) AWA manages to do every year. So it's not just Anime North.
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

DJ_Izumi
Org Profile

Post by DJ_Izumi » Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:15 pm

Scintilla wrote:Or maybe there was but the panel staff didn't accept their pitch?
While that is possible, I don't think it's likely. AMV's are pretty much a staple and a I personally believe that a pitch for an AMV panel would have to have been pretty substandard to be rejected. This is especially true as this year, on the schedule, there was a bizarre panel exclusively about the history of plastic chemical formulations used to produce different colors for Lego over the decades. ...That's not a joke. So if any pitch was rejected it would have had to be the most half-assed thing. Which again, brings us back to the issue of seems a dramatically reduced number even want to TALK about AMVs now. =X So yeah, I'd more agree with issues in even being to ATTRACT AMV panelists in 2018. But it's kinda sad to realize even if it's clearly been a progression for years.

seasons
Org Profile

Post by seasons » Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:38 pm

I’d like to believe that the audience for this panel is still around and this is just a matter of potential panel hosts just not feeling the motivation to put something like this together.

Would technical “how to edit” panels ever run into pushback from con organizers for fear that they’d inevitably be seen as step by step guides to violating copyright?

DJ_Izumi
Org Profile

Post by DJ_Izumi » Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:28 pm

seasons wrote:I’d like to believe that the audience for this panel is still around and this is just a matter of potential panel hosts just not feeling the motivation to put something like this together.

Would technical “how to edit” panels ever run into pushback from con organizers for fear that they’d inevitably be seen as step by step guides to violating copyright?
That's an interesting question. Personally, if I was doing a panel I'd likely skip it in favor of a suggestion of some guides because, frankly, prepping footage is kinda it's OWN panel. You could totes do an hour on that and your audience would only HALFWAY get it. Even for my own disc collection, I remultiplex every ep to MKV for my media server. ...But that just means that to access my server library, I need to convert the MKV remuxes into something EDITING software would work with. =x

CrackTheSky
has trust issues
Org Profile

Post by CrackTheSky » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:45 am

seasons wrote:Would technical “how to edit” panels ever run into pushback from con organizers for fear that they’d inevitably be seen as step by step guides to violating copyright?
I think it's more that with the prevalence of YouTube and guides uploaded there, step-by-step panels are basically obsolete. And good riddance, I say -- between the time the panel ends and when the audience member gets home to do his own editing, he's not going to remember the details. I think other panels that show general editing concepts and then supplement those concepts with videos that exemplify them would be way more effective.

DJ_Izumi
Org Profile

Post by DJ_Izumi » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:23 pm

CrackTheSky wrote:I think it's more that with the prevalence of YouTube and guides uploaded there, step-by-step panels are basically obsolete. And good riddance, I say -- between the time the panel ends and when the audience member gets home to do his own editing, he's not going to remember the details. I think other panels that show general editing concepts and then supplement those concepts with videos that exemplify them would be way more effective.
Yeah, I'd 100% go with this. An AMV panel is much better to focus on the 'art' of an AMV. The rest is, well, basically ripping an file conversion. Not to mention there's a LOT of 'Right Ways' to do that. Some people will use editors that you can just cram any MKV file into. Others use intermediary formats (Right now, I still use VDUB of all things, to read my MKVs and then export out lossless FFV1 AVI files of selected scenes.) and others might use frame servers. And we've seen enough AMVs in history that had the 'DIVX" logo in the corner cause someone just dragged and dropped their fansubs into their editor and had that as their default decoder.

It depends on resources too. Personally, I mean, I got money, I can just BUY drives for the task. I bought a 4TB drive for a single AMV that I've not even touched in months. It was $100 and a pretty trivial cost to me and the idea was I could just REMOVE the drive when done and it becomes it's own archival drive for cold storage. But not everyone can just do that.

shumira_chan
Org Profile

Post by shumira_chan » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:04 am

Is there any report on the AMV competition? Teahouse doesn't even have a topic for it. A panel would be nice, but I'd prefer it avoided the technical aspects of AMV-making. Perhaps something along the lines of examining distinctive editing styles, with panelists discussing what they like/dislike about them. Just something easy-going, with nary a mention of what a codec is :bear:

DJ_Izumi
Org Profile

Post by DJ_Izumi » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:49 pm

seasons wrote:What is Teahouse?
It's the name for their rather old forum. Large sections of which are largely abandoned yet it still houses some FAQ information for panel operation and such which are NOT mirrored on the main webpage for some INSANE reason. It also still runs on ProBoards, I think Anime North my be the last operator of Pro-Boards. o.O

Return to “General AMV”