Using anime ost's

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
BroccoliAlmighty
Org Profile

Using anime ost's

Post by BroccoliAlmighty » Fri May 11, 2018 9:30 am

Hi guys. I'm currently working on my first AMV and trying to get the hang of video editting.

However, I've been very curious about what people think about using a soundtrack or main theme of an anime for that same anime? I haven't seen a lot of AMV's using soundtracks, let alone anime soundtracks. Is it frowned upon as being less creative? Or are people not really into it?

Reason I'm pondering about that is because I feel like making a 'summary' of what has happened in an anime and I think its main theme song would perfectly convey the feelings of the anime as it has been composed specifically for the series.

Thoughts, opinions?

Mol
Strawberry Pie
Org Profile

Re: Using anime ost's

Post by Mol » Fri May 11, 2018 11:40 am

Well it's not too rare, but i think it happens less often. Anyway you should do whatever you feel like, and see what happens :P
Still better than that MMO.

seasons
Org Profile

Post by seasons » Fri May 11, 2018 9:34 pm

Nothing like that really piques my interest as a viewer but that's just my opinion.

CrackTheSky
has trust issues
Org Profile

Post by CrackTheSky » Sat May 12, 2018 11:52 pm

It tends to feel too...uh, obvious, I guess? And slightly lazy?

I mean if it works, it works, but I can almost guarantee you there's some other song out there that would do the job just as well or better and would come across as more original (and more intriguing to most viewers). Also ask yourself if the reason you think it fits so well is just because you're already used to seeing visuals of this anime put to this song every time you watch said anime. In a vacuum it may not fit as well as you think it does.

BroccoliAlmighty
Org Profile

Post by BroccoliAlmighty » Sun May 13, 2018 4:19 pm

CrackTheSky wrote:It tends to feel too...uh, obvious, I guess? And slightly lazy?
Yeah exactly, I was worried it would give off that impression, good to hear the worry wasn't undergrounded. Although nowI think about it.. it might give off a trailer impression as well perhaps. I think I wouldn't mind if it does end up looking like a trailer, although it would then stop being an AMV.
CrackTheSky wrote:I mean if it works, it works, but I can almost guarantee you there's some other song out there that would do the job just as well or better and would come across as more original (and more intriguing to most viewers). Also ask yourself if the reason you think it fits so well is just because you're already used to seeing visuals of this anime put to this song every time you watch said anime. In a vacuum it may not fit as well as you think it does.
Hmm.. For a future project I'm thinking of using the credits song of a visual novel (for its anime adaptation). It's the first time you hear the main theme with lyrics to it and evokes quite a lot of emotions (for me at least) due to the visualisation thing you mentionde probably , so it could indeed be a trap and not have as much as an impact. I definitely get it would be less intriguing, so thanks for the input you guys, I'll keep it in mind and play around with several music options. :)

Gene Starwind 21122
Samurai Master
Org Profile

Post by Gene Starwind 21122 » Sun May 13, 2018 7:34 pm

Personally I guess the only thing I've done recently like this from an anime would be the Poke'rap to various anime characters. So while it is possible it is somewhat difficult in my view to pull it off in a successful manner. You have to find another show that fits it, plus make it unique enough that it stands out. However to do something to a theme song I would think it has to be done to another anime or a parody of some sort. Or it could be a serious one done to another anime. If you're using the same show I agree with the others as it feeling too obvious or slightly lazy.

I say edit what you want. If you enjoy it and have an idea go for it. AMV's is an art form and there are always going to be critics out there. Have fun and edit your heart out!
No matter what, stay calm, stay cool and live life to the fullest.
Plus as Gene would say always go big in life.
Anime Mid Atlantic AMV Contest Coordinator 2007-2011
Katsucon AMV Contest Coordinator 2010-2011
T-Mode Contest Coordinator 2013
Nekocon AMV Contest Coordinator 2014

Return to “General AMV”