Do you know what clips you're gonna use before you start editing?

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
EpicMango
Org Profile

Do you know what clips you're gonna use before you start editing?

Post by EpicMango » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:49 pm

While your capturing clips with OBS or whichever software you use, do you know what you want or do you just capture a bunch of clips and try to work with those?

I capture a bunch of clips and try to make something out of them.

Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Re: Do you know what clips you're gonna use before you start editing?

Post by Kireblue » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:08 am

You shouldn't really be using using OBS to capture footage. AMVPack is full of tools and software to convert your footage in a much more efficient way

I'd also recommend that you simply convert the entire episode instead of short clips. When starting a video, you often know the key scenes that you need for certain parts, but just about everything else is filled in as you go. And often times a scene that you picked doesn't work, or you remembered it incorrectly. So having more footage to work with is crucial. For me, the prep work before starting a video is the least enjoyable part of the process, so I'd rather just quickly convert everything at once than to take time selectively picking scenes and potentially having to go back to get more later

Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Post by Kireblue » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:36 pm

seasons wrote:What is OBS?
OBS is a program that's primarily used for easy live streaming, but it can also be used as a screen recorder. But its not really something that should be used to capture footage for AMVs https://obsproject.com/

seasons
Org Profile

Post by seasons » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:55 pm

Yeah that might not be the best idea.

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:58 pm

I storyboard. Which means I actually take time to scrub through footage and find screencaps of scenes I want and put them in order on a document (or sometimes in the timeline itself). Then I go back and grab those particular scenes and lay them down in order. Then I go back and tweak transitions and add effects.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

FoxJones
The foxiest!
Org Profile

Post by FoxJones » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:47 am

I usually have very clear image of what footage I want to use in my video. I make clips first based on that and when editing the first draft I often 1) find out the footage available doesn't really fit my idea and I need to do some parts a bit differently 2) come up with new ideas and directions to take my video 3) need to fill some parts which I didn't consider in the first place. Then I go back to the footage and take additional/different clips. Repeat if necessary (and most time it is).

initial-t
Org Profile

Post by initial-t » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:35 am

Kionon wrote:I storyboard. Which means I actually take time to scrub through footage and find screencaps of scenes I want and put them in order on a document (or sometimes in the timeline itself). Then I go back and grab those particular scenes and lay them down in order. Then I go back and tweak transitions and add effects.
Similar process here, but rather than screenshot I'll write up an Excel w/ timestamps and brief descriptions and just make notes as I go (usually watching footage at 2-3x speed).

Return to “General AMV”