Should you have your clips ready first or apply effects as you go?

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
CaXLvXIn
Org Profile

Should you have your clips ready first or apply effects as you go?

Post by CaXLvXIn » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:49 pm

Hi. Im sure some people have already asked this question but is it better to apply your effects to your clip as you go or to lay out your clips ahead before working on effects? I've asked other people about this and many told me to lay it out first. I find that when i have the effects and everything else in the video first, I have a better sense of what clip i should have next or sometimes have a better sense of what transitions i can use. I understand that having the clips out beforehand can help you prevent mistakes that might happen later in your video (such as mistiming clips, wrong use of clips, etc). Should i do my effects first or lay out my clips?

seasons
Org Profile

Re: Should you have your clips ready first or apply effects as you go?

Post by seasons » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:58 pm

I have a feeling it would be better to lay out your clips in advance before any effects work, as seeing what the sequence looks like without effects might give you a better idea of exactly what you're trying to accomplish with said effect and how best to achieve that, or help you decide on whether or not you actually need the effect in the first place. Oftentimes, using a suitable clip that's synced to the music in one way or another will work as well or better than a flashy, effects-laden clip.

That said, everyone is different and whatever workflow works best for you might be very different from what I consider efficient or practical.

FoxJones
The foxiest!
Org Profile

Re: Should you have your clips ready first or apply effects as you go?

Post by FoxJones » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:53 am

seasons wrote:That said, everyone is different and whatever workflow works best for you might be very different from what I consider efficient or practical.
I also believe this is pretty much a matter of preference. Some editors prefer to fill the whole timeline first and then start working on the intended gimmicks, while others concentrate first on parts that they see important to focus on and complete them as finished as possible before moving on to other lesser parts.
I don't see why either way should be right or wrong way to do it.

Return to “General AMV”