the meaning of "FLOW" in the editing community.

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
Siwz4r
Org Profile

the meaning of "FLOW" in the editing community.

Post by Siwz4r » Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:22 pm

I've asked lot of people on how flow can be achieve and the only thing they've said was "you will get by the time you're going to edit more and more to gain experience" 8 years since than and i'm still asking my self about this called "flow"

Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Re: the meaning of "FLOW" in the editing community.

Post by Kireblue » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:02 pm

I think that this tutorial from Vivifx does the best job at explaining it

Siwz4r
Org Profile

Post by Siwz4r » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:01 am

Thank you for replying and also for the help.

Mol
Strawberry Pie
Org Profile

Post by Mol » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:19 am

basically you try to match music in a different way than just blindly cut on sounds ; d. Imo rarely pure flow works in amv without some variety with sync in one way or another. Anyway i guess everything is use to one preference/taste.
Still better than that MMO.

seasons
Org Profile

Post by seasons » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:00 pm

Siwz4r wrote:8 years since than and i'm still asking my self about this called "flow"

Pathos Prime
Org Profile

Post by Pathos Prime » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:19 pm

In AMV League, we try and define Flow roughly as "Do these scenes, placed in this method and order, look like they create a coherent whole? Or does it just look like a bunch of disorganized and unrelated cuts?" We have a shorthand we use when grading - "JBOS," for "Just a Bunch Of Scenes." Like many artistic elements, it's hard to quantify or describe.

PieandBeer
Most Important Meal
Org Profile

Post by PieandBeer » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:38 pm

WAIT i creeped on your youtube and i think u have great flow don't be worried haha. the vids i linked are all upbeat so i don't think they apply to you directly. imo drama flow is bit different from upbeat/action flow, but the basics below are still there. don't let anyone tell you that you need crazy effects and transitions to have your vid have flow, especially in drama vids
Pathos Prime wrote: Or does it just look like a bunch of disorganized and unrelated cuts?"
Disagree. i think it's important to distinguish narrative flow from visual flow. you can have a completely random video with great visual flow. i'm assuming the ask here is for visual flow.

here is a video that jumps around for lyric sync, but maintains flow through motion and transitions.

here's another good example, note the use of transitions and groupings of similar clips

crazy transitions aren't necessary, but they certainly help with some anime. i tend to edit raw, but i compensate by going for anime with lots of native motion or put a lot of effort into adding my own.

other editors can talk to you about color correction for adjacent clips because im a pleb. for me the most important thing for flow is motion. unless there is a distinct moment in the song that calls for a halt, then motion both native to the clip and added by the editor should have a smooth pattern. this doesn't mean it has to be constant. you definitely want "peaks and valleys" where the faster moments of the song are distinct from the slower sections, but the transition to those parts of the song should be subtle and ramp up and down as needed. also super important to match the energy of the song. don't simply go for smooth looking clip pairings that are not the speed the song calls for.

attention should also be paid to how clips look next to each other, matching movements between clips and not jumping back and forth from a ton different types of shots (like close up, scenery). like try to understand where the viewer's eyes will be at a certain point and let that inform what the best next clip would be.

really, flow just makes it so the editing isn't as noticeable in the video, like it helps make it seem like the song and anime were always meant to be paired. it makes the video easier to watch and imo lets the sources get more attention than the cuts.

MORE EXAMPLES cuz i suck

another effects heavy vid but its smooth like butter

and a more raw-ish video to show you how simple motion and internal sync can be used to maintain energy

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:38 pm

PieandBeer wrote:really, flow just makes it so the editing isn't as noticeable in the video, like it helps make it seem like the song and anime were always meant to be paired.
You said the magic words. I am now obligated to give, as an example of what that feels like, Kevin Caldwell's Engel.
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

DJ_Izumi
Org Profile

Post by DJ_Izumi » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:41 pm

Scintilla wrote:You said the magic words. I am now obligated to give, as an example of what that feels like, Kevin Caldwell's Engel.
608 x 448@ 29.97 fps
Someone needs to re-remaster that remaster at 1080p, STAT. :)

lloyd9988
Org Profile

Post by lloyd9988 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:56 am

Scintilla wrote:
PieandBeer wrote:really, flow just makes it so the editing isn't as noticeable in the video, like it helps make it seem like the song and anime were always meant to be paired.
You said the magic words. I am now obligated to give, as an example of what that feels like, Kevin Caldwell's Engel.
Down to it's core, I'd definitely agree that this contains the fundamentals of flow.

I found that "Dark Sun" to be a good example of atmospheric flow because I don't try to pay attention to what the lead singer is saying but just how the video and music feel together.

Return to “General AMV”