I've been thinking of making an Anime Fandom Retrospective Video

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
DJ_Izumi
Org Profile

I've been thinking of making an Anime Fandom Retrospective Video

Post by DJ_Izumi » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:57 pm

Yeah, I thought this might be the best place to throw out the idea and get some input.

No, not a documentary, more like a 3-4min retrospective glorifying the Western anime fandom's march through time into what it's become today. Probably the closest paralleled I could think if would be the NASA Exploration Video narrated by Peter Cullen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7h3wE4DkX2I

Basically a mix of historical footage (Conventions/home videos/news coverage), anime footage and motion graphics. Demonstrating where this fandom started, the key moments, shifts and disruptions along the way. The early anime titles dubbed for TV. The early home video releases. The websites and webrings. The first DVDs. The fads that rose and fell away. (Remember that year all had to do the Hare Hare Yukai dance in the hallways and stages of conventions?) The companies that fell away. The influence of anime into other nation's animation. The rise of streaming. Cultural shifts. And such.

For a little background, I'm a visual effects compositor now by trade (Thanks AMVs. :O ) and I've been keen into retro things and pop culture history for some time. Me and a group of friends, some going back well into the 90s and earlier were running a con in the early 2000's and it folded after 2007. While many of us aren't even in that city anymore, we've booked some event space that has some historical significance to us and we'll be having a ten year reunion of sorts. This has me sitting and looking back and making me feel like this is something worth making.

I'm mainly interested if there are others who'd be interested in being involved. The critical things would be research and digging up footage and photos from years back.

Dragonrider1227
Org Profile

Re: I've been thinking of making an Anime Fandom Retrospective Video

Post by Dragonrider1227 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:54 am

This sounds like a cool idea. Good luck with it :)

DJ_Izumi
Org Profile

Post by DJ_Izumi » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:18 am

Dragonrider1227 wrote:This sounds like a cool idea. Good luck with it :)
The real problem is time. Always so busy. Bogged down working on a couple of Marvel films at the moment. :/

Dragonrider1227
Org Profile

Post by Dragonrider1227 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:07 am

DJ_Izumi wrote:
The real problem is time. Always so busy. Bogged down working on a couple of Marvel films at the moment. :/
Aww, time and real life is often an issue, isn't it? :(

DJ_Izumi
Org Profile

Post by DJ_Izumi » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:51 am

Dragonrider1227 wrote:
DJ_Izumi wrote:
Aww, time and real life is often an issue, isn't it? :(
Ugh... I worked 73hrs this week, including 2 days of my 3 day weekend on both a Marvel film and separate Disney film. I need a vacation. But then I take vacations and I'm like 'Wow, I can get into AMVs again' and I just hide on the couch binge watching things instead. D:

Dragonrider1227
Org Profile

Post by Dragonrider1227 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:26 am

Ugh, I know that problem too ><

Return to “General AMV”