MAL AMV Questionnaire

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
seasons
Org Profile

Re: MAL AMV Questionnaire

Post by seasons » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:24 pm

Mr. Astros wrote:MAL Articles to be exact, you likely haven't heard of it.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=124860

Mr. Astros
Org Profile

Post by Mr. Astros » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:36 pm

seasons wrote:
Mr. Astros wrote:MAL Articles to be exact, you likely haven't heard of it.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=124860
Huuuuuuh. This is very interesting. Hadn't known there was an article already about AMV. I even searched through the featured articles for one, but suppose it slipped by my view. The club I'm in gives a larger word allowance than seven hundred. The maximum is fifteen hundred, but with some cases they make an exception. I had planned to write at least two thousand as I saw that as a minimum to cover my topic.

I agree with your mention in that thread about the lack luster articles. The top ten most viewed are essentially listings with little substance. I felt from reading them and other various articles that they come off as rushed, hollow, or poorly structured. I had planned to do the opposite with mine and consider all the intricate details while choosing the most realistic and pertinent stance. Sadly replies are off to a slow start =/. Maybe due to the last article bombing.

Thanks for sharing this.

seasons
Org Profile

Post by seasons » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:18 pm

I wasn't implying that you'd been beaten to the punch or that there was no need for you to pursue this.

If anything, I just wanted you to see this as an example of what to watch out for or -- if you agree with people's reactions to this piece -- how to maybe avoid making any of the same mistakes.

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:13 pm

Ah, why the hell not, I'm killing time waiting for something anyways...

1)What is your age?
30s

2)Did you take up viewing anime after watching AMV or before?
Before

3)Did you at one point find anime to watch via AMV? If so how long or how many titles?
Yes. Dozens of shows / movies. I don't know an exact count. Well over 40.

4)When did you first watch an AMV? Do you remember the year it was?
1999 If memory serves me right.

5)Furthering question four, where did you see your first AMV? Con? Youtube? Other?
It was either at a school computer lab or a friend's house. It took forever to download stuff over dial-up in those days

6)When was the peak of AMV history for you? Starting from 2001 to present day.
Odd choice of a start date, but things really started to explode (IMO) around 2007ish.

7)What do you believe contributed to your peak year of AMV if not personal preference? If personal preference what about the AMV appealed to you versus others? Was it a shift in AMV composition or something to do with the industry? Such as the anime airing that year?
Technical cohesion reached a point where you could really see people starting to explore new things and the sheer number of people making stuff that wasn't complete garbage really skyrocketed around that time.

8)Have you ever at one point given up viewing anime? If so did you continue to watch AMV? If you had to quit anime due to time constraints would you continue to view AMV?
"Giving up" is kinda final, no? I mean, I watch a hell of a lot less of it now (3 or 4 shows a year) than I did in college (30-40), but I never stopped completely.

9)What do you think of AMV parodies such as AMV Hell? Do you believe or know whether they had an influence on parody channels such as TFS(TeamFourStar)?
I don't think of AMV Hell as a parody. It's compilation short form comedy. I think it suffered a lot from people who weren't that good at editing comedy videos wanting to be a part of it and that Alan and Brian settled an awful lot in the later years just to keep to a schedule or premiere milestone (In fairness, I also think myself and others who can make quality comedy content but chose not to are partly to blame for not helping out there, but that's another matter entirely). As for influence, I'd ask the TeamFourStar guys directly. I'd assume they get influence from the real fan parody community (NoN.D.E, Trigger Mortis, other names I feel like shit for not remembering...) over AMVs, but hey, who knows.

10)What's your opinion on Shelter and Me! Me! Me!?
No idea what you're talking about.

11)While seeming off topic, are you familiar with anime ads? As in advertisements for anime via the net or television. Would you say they're common in the west or uncommon?
I don't know of any, but I don't really watch TV, so I wouldn't know.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

Mr. Astros
Org Profile

Post by Mr. Astros » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:35 am

seasons wrote:I wasn't implying that you'd been beaten to the punch or that there was no need for you to pursue this.

If anything, I just wanted you to see this as an example of what to watch out for or -- if you agree with people's reactions to this piece -- how to maybe avoid making any of the same mistakes.
I know, but a bit hard not to feel beat to the punch a little. I'll be sure to avoid any mistakes I glean from that piece and that's why I thanked you for bringing it up.

BasharOfTheAges wrote:Ah, why the hell not, I'm killing time waiting for something anyways...
Thanks for killing time.
BasharOfTheAges wrote:9)What do you think of AMV parodies such as AMV Hell? Do you believe or know whether they had an influence on parody channels such as TFS(TeamFourStar)?
I don't think of AMV Hell as a parody. It's compilation short form comedy. I think it suffered a lot from people who weren't that good at editing comedy videos wanting to be a part of it and that Alan and Brian settled an awful lot in the later years just to keep to a schedule or premiere milestone (In fairness, I also think myself and others who can make quality comedy content but chose not to are partly to blame for not helping out there, but that's another matter entirely). As for influence, I'd ask the TeamFourStar guys directly. I'd assume they get influence from the real fan parody community (NoN.D.E, Trigger Mortis, other names I feel like shit for not remembering...) over AMVs, but hey, who knows.
I had planned to do that here soon, but thought it may have been common knowledge. To be honest I didn't think there was a sizable community dedicated to parodies, but it's obvious there would be.

Return to “General AMV”