The best or most influential "classic" AMVs

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
Tigrin
Org Profile

The best or most influential "classic" AMVs

Post by Tigrin » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:42 pm

While looking at previous winners of the viewer's choice awards here on the Org, I realized that I'm not really familiar with many AMVs older than even a few years. I'm sure there are many amazing AMVs I haven't seen yet.

If you were putting together a "History of AMVs" class or something like that, what are some of the videos that come to mind as either some of the best AMVs ever made, or some of the most influential or formative? If you had to recommend a video to someone who's not sure what AMVs are, what would you pick?

Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Re: The best or most influential "classic" AMVs

Post by Kireblue » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:58 pm

A few years ago, me and Vivifx did a "Almost Classic AMVs" panel where we discussed some of the most influential AMVs from 2008-2010. Here is the blurb that we wrote for it.
2008 - 2010 was a great time for AMVs. The barriers of entry to start editing were almost non-existent, the Youtube AMV community was at its peak, and the surge of new and creative digital effects was in full swing. Join Kireblue and Vivifx as they take a trip down memory lane and showcase some of their favorite videos from the time period that shifted the direction of the entire AMV community.
You can view our notes for the panel here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

And you can watch all the videos that we played here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Tigrin
Org Profile

Post by Tigrin » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:20 pm

These were really interesting. I was blown away by the concepts in some of these, like "Time".

I can't unsee "58008" but I appreciate that someone saw the opportunity and took it.

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:51 pm

Well, Vlad can talk about very early 1980s, 1990s stuff. His own early work should probably be considered. Hell, his first KOR AMV is still a perfect example of the "old school" style of editing I still mostly do, and that was 1993!

I got into AMVs around the turn of the millennium and was an active viewer in 97/98, but I didn't release anything until 2001 when I joined the Org. I have my own favorites and ideas. You Know Who's work (and he's actually shown up on the forum recently) was pretty influential. Obviously, Kevin Caldwell. Aluminum. Maboroshi. Kusoyaro. Hell, even Phade himself, with Material Girl, is something I'd consider quite classic.

Worth mentioning, these folks were contemporaries in the sense they were active when I started, but they were already winning awards during my early productive period. I didn't manage to start winning awards until 2012. So I really looked up to them. Kusoyaro was the only one I mentioned that I ever met in person (I stayed at his apartment with a few others, several years ago, but I don't remember the details now). Most of these folks are retired. Maboroshi shows up on the forums from time to time. I noticed him yesterday, I think.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Post by Kireblue » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:03 am

Tigrin wrote:These were really interesting. I was blown away by the concepts in some of these, like "Time".

I can't unsee "58008" but I appreciate that someone saw the opportunity and took it.
yeah, a lot of those videos held up pretty well over the years and really withstood the test of time (pun intended)

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:19 am

2008-2010 to me is still "now." I mean, I released Obamanation in 2008. And that doesn't seem so long ago at all.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

ngsilver
The Old School Otaku
Org Profile

Post by ngsilver » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:51 am

I attempt to show off as much good old videos that I can when I can. As part of the fan art theater website I run a weekly column called Throwback Thursday where I focus on showing off old AMVs that at least I thought were good. A listing of all previous posts can be found on the website or here: http://www.fanarttheater.com/throwback-thursday/

I also used to run an AMV 101 like panel back in the day which was more about watching videos throughout the years and talking about what has changed while also discussing techniques. So starting with reel to reel videos, then VHS videos, lasterdisc, professional equipment, then PC, then NLE, ect. It was a fun time. Been wanting to start that up again or mold it into something new.

I am working on an old bastards/farts panel where I get a number of older editors who have been editing for a long time and we talk old AMVs, how editing used to be like, how it is now, how stuff has changed over the years, and show off old stuff. I certainly want to run such at Youmacon where I have at least a few such editors on my staff but would love to run such at AWA this year as well and pull in a few others who go, that is if I go this year.
Kionon wrote:Most of these folks are retired. Maboroshi shows up on the forums from time to time. I noticed him yesterday, I think.
He is around. He came back to editing a few years ago and is still winning awards.
ImageImageImageImage

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:17 am

That's one thing I miss about no longer being able to go to a con or two in the States, Nate. Your panel sounds like something I'd enjoy being a part of.

I made my first couple of videos with captured VHS source. Most notably, the original version of Arima to Miyazawa, which used raw VHS copies of copies from Japan. Even a couple of my DVD sourced videos were actually not ripped (I couldn't always get the DVD-ROM or ripping software to work) but captured with a capture card. I eventually got a Pinnacle and gave my older card to Sotero Lopez (MexicanJunior) and he did some of his work with that card (a USB dongle, really).

ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

ngsilver
The Old School Otaku
Org Profile

Post by ngsilver » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:17 am

My first videos were all using captured source as well. I didn't get a DVD-Rom until like 2005 so before that I would capture using my Haupague USB TV Tuner I bought for college which had composite in. So while I did use VHS and DVD footage it was all captured on playback. Actually, since I couldn't get around macrovision on the AMG Movie with my DVD player at the time (PS2) I bought a dub VHS of the movie to rip for my 2nd video and gave the tape away to a friend. The first ripped video I worked on was (though a friend of mine ripped the DVD for me) and the first one I ripped myself was

ImageImageImageImage

seasons
Org Profile

Post by seasons » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:24 am

kireblue wrote:You can view our notes for the panel here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
"Re-evo splits up and Asylum is formed 10/1/2010"

I learned more from this spreadsheet than I did from this entire thread

Return to “General AMV”