The best or most influential "classic" AMVs

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Re: The best or most influential "classic" AMVs

Post by Kionon » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:50 pm

It'd take me a while to come up with something as long as Erik's, but there's my favorite AMV of all time:

ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

ngsilver
The Old School Otaku
Org Profile

Post by ngsilver » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:09 pm

<< MFW I already linked most of those listed videos in a previous post ^^()

But yes, good stuff.
ImageImageImageImage

Tigrin
Org Profile

Post by Tigrin » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:07 pm

Thanks for the recs! I'm slowly getting through all of these and it's fascinating but I gotta shut this down for a second
Wait what??? EK used to make AMVs?? My brain can't handle this information and yet it makes total sense. :uhoh:

Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Post by Kireblue » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:13 pm

Tigrin wrote:Thanks for the recs! I'm slowly getting through all of these and it's fascinating but I gotta shut this down for a second
Wait what??? EK used to make AMVs?? My brain can't handle this information and yet it makes total sense. :uhoh:
I didn't actually know that she did anything other than AMVs :shock: . I just now found out about all her other stuff after reading your response.

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:17 pm

...I knew EK from UT (our university) as well as AMVs, she worked in the same office as my best friend, Clint. Carlos (Machine) was also there at the time, he and I even worked in the same building. I'm going to bet Tigrin knows her from her comics.

Back on topic, I'm putting together a list of 1990-2001 AMVs in my collection now, I think some of them aren't even cataloged on the Org.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

Tigrin
Org Profile

Post by Tigrin » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:34 pm

Kionon wrote:...I knew EK from UT (our university) as well as AMVs, she worked in the same office as my best friend, Clint. Carlos (Machine) was also there at the time, he and I even worked in the same building. I'm going to bet Tigrin knows her from her comics.
What!! That's so cool, I'm geeking out. Yeah I know of her from when I started reading her comic TJ and Amal a few years ago, and I follow her on Tumblr. Recently she's been really into Yuri on Ice and drawing comics and doujinshi for it. Now that I know she also made AMVs I think she is even more awesome. :up: I've been meaning to pick up her doujinshi and her PDF of "Whisper Grass".

Back on topic, some thoughts from some of the videos Erik posted that I watched earlier:
- Euphoria - I... I'm sorry, I couldn't finish it. I think after watching some of these old AMVs I've confirmed that I just don't care for motion graphics. I'm not sure why this is rated so highly? A legacy thing maybe.
- CHIHUAHUA! - was this seriously their first AMV? that lip sync is on point o_o so fun to watch
- I Wish I Was a Lesbian - so do I
- AMV Hell - some of the later ones were definitely better and funnier, this occasionally made me feel uncomfortable? (the spanking bit)
- Hold me now - how do so many Princess Tutu videos make this anime look fricking awesome, it's not awesome, I want the time back I spent watching it

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:55 pm

I like Damaged Rei Mix by Kewp more than I liked Euphoria.

As for Hold Me now, I'm a pretty big fan of Tutu, and I met the creator (she did a small sketch of Rue for me), and it was pretty cool. We probably just have very different ideas of what constitutes a good show, but that's not so surprising. My favorite works are not very popular.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

Tigrin
Org Profile

Post by Tigrin » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:34 pm

Kionon wrote:As for Hold Me now, I'm a pretty big fan of Tutu, and I met the creator (she did a small sketch of Rue for me), and it was pretty cool. We probably just have very different ideas of what constitutes a good show, but that's not so surprising. My favorite works are not very popular.
That's cool. :D I like a lot of things that are not very popular either. :shrug: My issue with Princess Tutu was more that the pacing of the show was glacier slow. I think the reason I love Princess Tutu AMVs, but don't care much for the show itself, is that AMVs can kind of condense things down to the best parts of the show and create a more concise story. There was a lot of cool things about Princess Tutu and it was a bit lost in a muddled story, confused character motivations, and slow pacing. It's been years since I saw it, though, and I'm just not much of a shoujo person.

seasons
Org Profile

Post by seasons » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:49 pm

Kionon wrote:It'd take me a while to come up with something as long as Erik's, but there's my favorite AMV of all time:

Is there a download for this anywhere?

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:17 am

Yup, here.

I have a lot of ErMaC's stuff, so if any of his other stuff isn't linked, I can add it to my dropbox.

Okay, here's my list. I'll add vidids if they catalog entries, if they don't have links that work or they don't have entries, I'll put them on dropbox. I organise my videos by series, then year, then studio/editor. I'm only adding things 2001 or before (2001 is the year I started on the Org, so from my own vantage point, we moved into the "modern" period in 2001).

(Original is here, remake I helped with below:)

Video: Top Gun
Category: Drama, Action
Anime: Neon Genesis Evangelion
Song: Top Gun Theme
Artist: Top Gun
Creator: Kusoyaro

All of Quu's early stuff. Quu was also the editor who got me into editing, and I miss Patrick nearly every day. If not for Quu, I wouldn't be here.

Basically all of the early stuff from OtakuVengeance.

Everything from You Know Who.

Early stuff from Kusoyaro.

I have to add stuff for HMTV (Harsh Mistress Television), because only one is even cataloged via Proxy. The last internet record seems to be from one of the studio members, DJ CatSkratch who said:
I used to make AMVs many many years ago. I was a part of HMTV (Harsh Mistress Televistion) We made 20 videos, but only 3 of them really gained any attention. Our "I Must Increase My Bust" video was VERY well known (and there's no surprise why) and we made an EVA video to Pink Floyd's "Mother" which also was very popular (And I won a couple awards for it too, heh) but yeah, those were good times. I have so many ideas for new videos, its just a matter of time to make them these days. If anyone has seen them, by all means lemme know what you think! Thanks!
I have maybe three of their videos...?

Everything from Bobby "C-Ko" Beaver (I'll upload his stuff and edit it in when I finish this list). Same with Matt "Armitage" Demicco. And Marc Hairston.

And everything from my old pals the Sempai crew, not that I've spoken to any of them recently, Catnip, Bel, Kestrel, and Tonbo. NTH GEN MAISON IKKOKU VHS COPIES FOR ALL!!!

Also, of my own early works, the previously mentioned is probably best and has sort of stood the test of time.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

Return to “General AMV”