How Come Something Like The AMV Show Never Showed Up?

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
TheAMVShow
Org Profile

How Come Something Like The AMV Show Never Showed Up?

Post by TheAMVShow » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:27 pm

I don't know how many people remember but a reeeeeeeaaaaaaaallly long time ago, I did I show that featured people's AMVs and did some news type stuff as well. I did it for a short time but there was some interest in it, so I figured if I wasn't doing it someone would eventually kind of do the same thing.

Anyhow I'm really curious to know why'd no one think to just keep it going? Was it a bad idea from the start when I was doing it?

Or maybe there is someone doing it and I just don't know. If so point me in there direction!

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Re: How Come Something Like The AMV Show Never Showed Up?

Post by Kionon » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:21 am

There are few enough people actively contributing already, and we have our own projects. Therefore, just like as I've periodically gone on Mac stuff or Meatwad has on AMVpack and frame servers, as the admin team had some with AMV Monthly, Kireblue on the database... If you want something done, do it yourself. If you want an AMV show to exist, go ahead and run it.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

ngsilver
The Old School Otaku
Org Profile

Post by ngsilver » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:55 am

I ran an AMV show for some time myself. But haven't been doing it because time and I'm focusing on other projects.

I know TYHMG is back and running again. Though you'll find it on AMV Central, not here.
ImageImageImageImage

seasons
Org Profile

Post by seasons » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:31 pm

I fear that it's become really hard to find viewers who have the time, patience, and curiosity to not just subscribe to something like this, but watch it and stick with it for more than a few seconds. I don't want to simply whine about how everyone has a low attention span these days (this may happen anyway) but it's just really hard to get anyone to stick with watching something if it's not completely hooking their attention every single second.

You absolutely could just go ahead and do the show however you want, and people will watch it, but you may have to accept that despite how many people are into AMVs and how much potential there is for a show that analyzes them and all the issues around them, it's probably not going to catch on in a big way (not like the insipid "Youtube drama" vloggers who have hundreds of thousands of subscribers and just talk about the most worthless nonsense imaginable, people eat that stuff up I guess).

I really do want your show or something like it to succeed, even if it's only in a small way, and to prove my pessimism all wrong.

Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Post by Kireblue » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:11 pm

Seasons brought up some pretty good points. I'll also point out that there is a certain formula that successful youtubers have when presenting news or information to their viewers. IMO, the reason why AMV podcasts haven't been very successful in the past is because nobody has ever sat down and tried to learn those formulas. Here are the tips that I can give from just being a avid watcher of youtube news channels.

Just because you can make a 40 minute youtube video doesn't mean that you should. And even if you do, it shouldn't be the standard. Your super long videos should be saved for special occasions. It takes a really experienced, popular, and charismatic person to be able to hold someone's attention for 40 minutes. The way that professional youtube channels accomplish this is by putting together a group of people that are insanely popular and all have their own individual following. But even then, it can be hard to keep people's interest for that long. But they often accomplish it by making the event LIVE so that people can pop in and out throughout the entire segment. People tend to stick around LIVE videos a lot longer than they do for pre-recorded ones.

Your standard video should be about 10 - 15 minutes long. There comes a time in just about every video where a person starts to loose interest in the topic. The reason why they continue watching is because they had already watched X amount of minutes, and there is only Y amount of minutes left, and so they might as well finish it. Your goal should be to make sure that if the viewer looses interest, the X value is about twice as long as the Y value. And the longer the video, the harder that is. If you loose interest in the video 10 minutes in, and you see that there's 20 minutes left, you're going to almost immediately stop. But if there was less than 5 minutes left, then you'd probably stick around.

Next, its really hard to keep someone's interest if your video is unedited. Completely raw videos have their appeal when your are speaking directly to the viewer on something personal, but it doesn't work for presenting news or information. And so when you record the video, you gotta make sure to not have "ums" or long pauses. And if you do, you need to edit them out in post. Also, having graphics and visuals on screen helps a lot. Unless you're insanely charismatic, nobody really wants to stare at just your face the entire time.

Lastly, use good equipment. If you don't have a good camera, then don't film. If you don't have a god mic, then don't speak. If you don't have a good backdrop, then use a greenscreen and make one. Nobody likes watching a bad presentation.

Return to “General AMV”