The end of AMVs: a look back

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
Gokusanjj
Org Profile

Re: The end of AMVs: a look back

Post by Gokusanjj » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:50 pm

They aren't dead for me if I still enjoy watching them.

DopplerDo
Org Profile

Post by DopplerDo » Thu May 04, 2017 8:21 pm

It really doesn't sound like AMVs are dead or even seem like. It just seems like people are increasingly driven insane by a lack of views. In my opinion, twinks who only care about a song and the one anime they've watched are not my favorite audience to edit for anyway, so it hardly matters :p.

xXxXREMNANTXxXx
Org Profile

Post by xXxXREMNANTXxXx » Sun May 14, 2017 11:49 pm

I'd like to share my story here as I feel I can relate to the opposing end of the initial post.

Back when I started I was that 13 year old... who was about 15... and at 1st I will not lie I was all over the joint - I did 1 of the most CLICHE things ever and just put a fight to some music and went "AMV Innit!".
After so long It kinda became more like Episode recaps with music and some quotes, still not very original though. I'd like to say more but my other YT channel has been banned so I cant look at stuff and say accurately when it changed but I did 1 video that turned out to be very popular so I ran with it whilst using filler such as fights and recaps just to try hone my limited skills.
In about a year I had managed to produce Coherent^1 Videos but only to a degree. I was only 15 though so I was dumb.
By about September that year I was trying to join a studio so I participated in their beta battle and had developed a style or 2 (High Impact Fights^2 and Emotional Subplots developed^3)
After so long I developed a style of using the music in the song to depict a similar visual scene but whilst trying to maintain the integrity of the the song and relay my own meaning over the video basically making it a very transformitive video or I would practice tight edits (beat FX) OR i would try to tell the animes story through the song.
I try to keep to that style now but sometimes I have a few lapses and deviate slightly.

[*]^1 Videos with a sense of direction like https://youtu.be/sg7D-v-mR90
[*]^2 More action orientated videos
[*]^3 Drawing out a full subplot that lingers and making everything about that particular thing https://youtu.be/aiREVlee8tk

I think that most people who got into AMV making did just want to put their favorite song to their fav anime and their fav scene but for me its like a way of expressing myself. I'm a real asshole and not many people know I can portray sensitive and loving very easily - they think I have no social skills and that I'd rather be playing games than talking to them (Though thats usually true) when in actuality in my head I hear a song and see nothing so I want to fill that black with something interesting but something that also makes sense and that anyone can follow easily.
Like this took me from July 6 to concept, imagine, edit and post and I feel that half the views my early stuff got is useless and worthless when you think about the work that went into this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rUR1w6nW-4

I think now AMVs are dyeing but can be revived, Even if AMVs are broken into Subs they can still live.
But thats my opinion and story.

(Sorry for all the plugs but frankly it was the only way to show any form of progress over the years)

8bit_samurai
Hmm...
Org Profile

Post by 8bit_samurai » Mon May 15, 2017 7:16 pm

If anything, the Org did really quiet down since I first joined, though some would say that's an understatement. Times change, people change, and speaking of change, the two major changes I can think of that widely affected this community since I joined is social media and youtube. I suppose technology has changed too, but I don't think that has as big of an impact as the other two. AMVs are still around, ya just gotta look for them and filter them out.

In terms of internet years and how old this site is, I'm surprised it's still around; and I'm glad it is since it's nice to see old faces post every now and then.
Under Construction

Return to “General AMV”